Thuggery at end of Tyrone Club Final

Started by agorm, October 26, 2008, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Quote from: Gaffer on October 26, 2008, 08:28:57 PM
Quote from: agorm on October 26, 2008, 08:24:48 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 26, 2008, 08:03:10 PM
Quote from: agorm on October 26, 2008, 07:28:23 PM
I note that the thuggery exhibited at the end of the Tyrone county final was not even mentioned on the RTE Sports News. I can just imagine if it was the Meath or Dublin finals it would be top of the Sportsnews just like Parnell Park earlier in the year.

Not exactly sure what your point is here (if you have one) but a Meath Dublin intercounty clash is going to be more high profile than a club game in Tyrone. As Playwiththewind pointed out, it'll be well publicised in the days to come.
My points are: First of all, the incidents do need to be dealt with and not swept under the carpet as was indicated with the non mention on the news. With no Sunday Game there is less opportunity to highlight this on PrimeTime and weed out the thug that gave the head butt.

Secondly, whether we like it or not, some counties such as Meath and Dublin will get stuff like this publicised much easier - maybe because of historical rivalries etc. It is unfair but not altogether surprising. I think that the Parnell Park episode torpedoed Meath's season but that's for another thread sometime.

However, considering this is Tyrone who themselves are now high profile and remembering their supporters endless reaction to much much tamer incidents in 1996 I think it should certainly be noted, highlighted and dealt with as their supporters would certainly call for if they were on the receiving end.

I would hardly call the Meath player stamping on the Tyrone players head in 1996 much tamer than todays headbutt.

A definite headbutt (in fact two) is certainly a lot worse than a so called stamp that never happened. It was very clumsy by Martin O' Connell. I would admiut that but it was never a stamp.
Anyway, I wont be drawn into a debate on a 12 year old game - I would just hope that this will be dealt with. If it was on the street, the gardai would be involved.

Over the Bar

Noel McGinn didn't stamp either then, he was just clumsy! ;)

agorm

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 26, 2008, 08:31:31 PM
QuoteSecondly, whether we like it or not, some counties such as Meath and Dublin will get stuff like this publicised much easier - maybe because of historical rivalries etc.

Maybe not so much to do with historical rivalry, but possibly the par-for-the-course thuggish behaviour the rest of the country has come to expect?

They may EXPECT it from them but they GET it from other quarters, club football in Ulster being a prime example.

agorm

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 26, 2008, 08:38:38 PM
Noel McGinn didn't stamp either then, he was just clumsy! ;)

Ha Ha, I dont think so.

Jinxy

I'd imagine most people would think a team mentor coming on the field and headbutting someone then being headbutted himself in a live televised county final is newsworthy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Denn Forever

Based on TG4 coverage.  

Will any thing be done to the white player who stamped on the calf of the prone/on his knees player in blue.  Did I see this?  Fair play to the player in Blue, he rubbed his calf ruefully and got on with the game.

Also, did he have a Doctor's bib on him?  First do no harm etc.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TacadoirArdMhacha

I note that the thuggery exhibited at the end of the Tyrone county final was not even mentioned on the RTE Sports News. I can just imagine if it was the Meath or Dublin finals it would be top of the Sportsnews just like Parnell Park earlier in the year.

Not exactly sure what your point is here (if you have one) but a Meath Dublin intercounty clash is going to be more high profile than a club game in Tyrone. As Playwiththewind pointed out, it'll be well publicised in the days to come.
My points are: First of all, the incidents do need to be dealt with and not swept under the carpet as was indicated with the non mention on the news. With no Sunday Game there is less opportunity to highlight this on PrimeTime and weed out the thug that gave the head butt.

Secondly, whether we like it or not, some counties such as Meath and Dublin will get stuff like this publicised much easier - maybe because of historical rivalries etc. It is unfair but not altogether surprising. I think that the Parnell Park episode torpedoed Meath's season but that's for another thread sometime.

However, considering this is Tyrone who themselves are now high profile and remembering their supporters endless reaction to much much tamer incidents in 1996 I think it should certainly be noted, highlighted and dealt with as their supporters would certainly call for if they were on the receiving end.

So an incident during a club game is only mentioned on 1 of the 2 southern news stations an hour or so after it happens and its being swept under the carpet? The fella hardly needs "weeded out" sure the footage on TV is there for all to see and will be well highlighted on UTV and BBCNI in the coming days.

An intercounty game is always going to have more exposure than a club match and any scenes in an intercounty match similar to those between Meath and Dublin this year were always going to be dealt with harshly.

And what torpedoed Meath's season was taking the Wexford game for granted at half time.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tyrone Dreamer

He should have been sent over to the international rules when Sheedy was in charge. Sheedy wouldnt have been acting the big man for too long on the sideline with Noel about.

It was poor form from McGinn. Some of the comments though in relation to things like this can be a bit over the top though. McGinn is a good gaa man. It was a moment of madness that I'm sure he is regretting and talk of life bans etc is over the top. People can get carried away in such a close game especially in a county final. It doesnt excuse what he did though.

agorm

Highlights shown as well as an apology on the Nine  O' Clock news. Wont stop an inevitable ban but will probably take some of the heat off McGinn.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Gaffer

Quote from: agorm on October 26, 2008, 08:37:16 PM

I would hardly call the Meath player stamping on the Tyrone players head in 1996 much tamer than todays headbutt.

A definite headbutt (in fact two) is certainly a lot worse than a so called stamp that never happened. It was very clumsy by Martin O' Connell. I would admiut that but it was never a stamp.
Anyway, I wont be drawn into a debate on a 12 year old game - I would just hope that this will be dealt with. If it was on the street, the gardai would be involved.

Martin McConnell did it on purpose!!!! Perhaps the Garda should have intervened there , He would have deserved to be put up in front of a judge!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

agorm

Quote from: Gaffer on October 26, 2008, 10:09:56 PM

Martin McConnell did it on purpose!!!! Perhaps the Garda should have intervened there , He would have deserved to be put up in front of a judge!

Good man - I am sure you were there and have analysed it several times since to be in a position to make such an insightful comment. I really dont want to get into a discussion on a game 12 years ago.

BTW, what's your opinion on the head butts? I would have thought you would have had an opinion on them considering they happened today and you are probably from Tyrone yourself. Were you at the County Final?

Pangurban

We have disgraced ourselves again. If Noel Mc Ginn does not receive at least a 12 month suspension, we will have no credibility left when we talk of abolishing thuggery from our games. There can be no acceptable excuse for his behaviour

On_the_Couch

Whatever else happens, the Gardai won't be involved - not only is it not their jurisdiction, they don't get involved in much else other than racing around the with their blue lights on and the chinese takeaway in the back of the car.

Gaffer

Quote from: agorm on October 26, 2008, 10:20:54 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on October 26, 2008, 10:09:56 PM

Good man - I am sure you were there and have analysed it several times since to be in a position to make such an insightful comment. I really dont want to get into a discussion on a game 12 years ago.

BTW, what's your opinion on the head butts? I would have thought you would have had an opinion on them considering they happened today and you are probably from Tyrone yourself. Were you at the County Final?

Was at Croke Park in 1996 to se McConnells deliberate stamp and was there today to see McGinn 's deliberate attack on the Clonoe player. I . unlike you. am willing to call incidents as they are, irrespective of whether the thugs are from my county or not!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"