County Champions, County Captains. Is it right?

Started by magickingdom, August 06, 2007, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

in a lot of counties the county champions get to pick the county captain for the following year. this year waterford (hurlers) done away with the practice and management picked the captain. corks hurling captain didnt make the cork team last week. kerry (football) have had FIVE captains this year (inc 3 in one game against waterford) and in tom humpries book one of the reasons given for the closeness of the dublin team in the years since was their captain tony hanaghoe being a 'natural' leader as opposed to kerrys many captains. is it time to scrap county champions picking captains? it is after all a leaders role with important functions and should the best man not get the job?

BallyhaiseMan

No its not right.

the appointing of a captain should not be taken out of the hands of the county management.

Ball Hopper

So if a captain in a final is substituted, who collects the cup?  I know of only one instance, 1975, when the winning captain was unable to collect the cup because of injury.  The record books still show Mickey Ned as Kerry's captain that day and not Pat Spillane...even though Pat collected Sam.  I think the original captain gets the cup even if he is taken off...am I right?

If a player is sent off, he can take no further part in the game, obviously, but he cannot participate in the on-field celebrations either according to the rule book.  That means he cannot accept the cup.  Anyone know of that ever happening? 

Some craic if Nicky Brennan refuse to hand the cup to the Waterford captain who got sent off for a second yellow.

The Real Laoislad

Padraigh Clancy was picked Laois captain this year and was probably the worst player Laois had this year.M J Tierney was the only player who played from the County Champions and would have been a far better captain than the overrated Clancy
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maguire01

The captain should be the player with the best leadership qualities. Anything else is irrelevant really.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 06, 2007, 07:40:38 PM
Padraigh Clancy was picked Laois captain this year and was probably the worst player Laois had this year.M J Tierney was the only player who played from the County Champions and would have been a far better captain than the overrated Clancy

Plus we only recently changed from a system where we appointed the captain from the county champions. You'd be hard pressed to find a born leader in our starting 15 aside from maybe Tom Kelly or Byron.

The Real Laoislad

Or Joe Higgins despite being one of the smallest/lightest fellas on the pitch is the one of the only players to give 100% in every single match
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magickingdom

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 06, 2007, 07:52:24 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 06, 2007, 07:40:38 PM

Plus we only recently changed from a system where we appointed the captain from the county champions. You'd be hard pressed to find a born leader in our starting 15 aside from maybe Tom Kelly or Byron.

tom kelly seems like the kind of player that would make a good captain. who appoints the loais captain this year?

Lecale2

How many counties allow the County Champions to appoint the team captain?

inisceithleann

Am I right in saying it doesn't happen at all in Ulster? Has it ever? I can't remember it ever happening in Fermanagh.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

thebandit

Ruairi Og exile

Yes it does..Antrim appoint the captain from the county champions, as my club has been the champions for two years & that is where the captain has been from

Uladh

its a nonsense hbit from a bygone age. the captain should be the best leader on the team. on a similar note, many teams make the mistake of giving the captaincy to a lad who they think it will bring on or bring out of his shell. thats usually to the detriment of the team as a whole also.

Didn't know that about antrim

robertemmet

It doesn't or I don't think it has ever happened in Derry

aontroim

Seemed to happen the Antrim footballers this year with a Cargin player getting the captaincy and then not getting selected to play in a few games.