The wonder of you (70)
7 (16.7%)
Burning love (72)
4 (9.5%)
Way down (77)
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

30 years after the death of Elvis Presley, on 16 August 1977, I see there's an internet poll on what are his top 3 recordings - see the poll - with the years he recorded them.

It's funny that, for a career that only lasted 20 years, 5 of the songs listed are in his first two years. I wonder how 'cool' he is now, or do people just sit him as a grossly overweight, burger-eating parody of a star in a white jumpsuit and cape that made crap movies and died aged 42.

What do you think?

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Hardy

The quare wan who does the early morning show on RTÉ Radio1 played "Jailhouse Rock" yesterday morning. When it was finished, she came out with "yeah - everybody in the wholesale block was dancing and we have a great wholesale offer for you now ...."

fearglasmor

A massive talent. Hugely origininal in popular music in his time and ultimately a massive trajedy.

I wouldn't be a rabid fanatic, but the more I hear about Col. Tom Parker the more I wonder how different things could have been.

If Elvis was still alive he'd be the same age as my father in law, who spends half his time running around rushy fields after cattle.
Strange thought.

Uladh

Quote from: fearglasmor on August 16, 2007, 10:07:45 AM
A massive talent. Hugely origininal in popular music in his time and ultimately a massive trajedy.

I wouldn't be a rabid fanatic, but the more I hear about Col. Tom Parker the more I wonder how different things could have been.

If Elvis was still alive he'd be the same age as my father in law, who spends half his time running around rushy fields after cattle.
Strange thought.

tis a crime til lave ground in a state an the price of it

Dinny Breen

King!!! How many songs did he actually write and sing?
#newbridgeornowhere

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Is he the bloke working behind the counter at Mannys chipper on the Antrim Rd?!  ???
Tbc....

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 16, 2007, 12:51:53 PM
King!!! How many songs did he actually write and sing?

He must have sung 100s. But only released 30 albums when alive. Co-wrote 'Love me tender' - but these facts are according to wikipedia......

Shamrock Shore

When Lennon was told about Elvis's demise Lennon remarked "Elvis died in '59"

Alot of rock purists agree with this.

john mcgill

I remember the day he died.  A bloke from Down and myself were using shovels to backfill footings in San Francisco.  The American foreman was a big fan and we were delighted to stop shovelling and reminisce about the King. Now with age and more fear of death I feel a bit guilty about how we used his demise.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 16, 2007, 01:07:11 PM

Purists would say he joined the army in 58!

Shamrock Shore

I was quoting from memory - so he probably said '58  :-\

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Though maybe Lennon was right, cos in this poll, half the songs are from before he went and fought Uncle Sam's war in, err, West Germany. That and 'From Elvis in Memphis' in 69 was the only peak afterwards, I guess.

Dinny Breen

QuoteHe must have sung 100s. But only released 30 albums when alive. Co-wrote 'Love me tender' - but these facts are according to wikipedia......

He didn't write any songs, he was quite simply just a fantastic voice....
#newbridgeornowhere

bingobus

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 16, 2007, 01:07:11 PM

Fair enough, but in those three years he changed the face of popular music for ever.

And Don't Be Cruel is his best song