Irish among dead in balcony collapse

Started by Walter Cronc, June 16, 2015, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2015, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 19, 2015, 09:18:58 AM
Condonlescenes to all those affected by this tragedy.

A few things I don't understand is why steel isn't used in the states to support balconies, I find that shocking but the biggest shock is that apparently these balconies are for aesthetic purposes only, wtf, if that's the case no one should be able to access them, crazy to think that,

the other thing I don't understand is how when it collapsed they was so many fatalities, there was a balcony directly underneath which I would of thought would caught most if not everyone that fell and saved lives, but sadly they must of fell outward onto the ground by the sounds of it, shocking,

Totally agree 5 sams, great to see everyone pulling together to get everyone home in a timely manner, RIP

I don't think it fell straight down, as in descended like an elevator with an even floor with everyone standing on it. I believe the part furthest from the wall fell away first, tipping everyone out onto the street and missing the balcony below. The balcony then rotated somewhat before landing on the one below.

Yeah if you look at the photos the balcony is actually upside down with the outer railing against the wall, meaning that it rotated a full 180° by the time it landed on the other balcony.

Eamonnca1

If you're in a position to make a donation to help the families, here is the link:

http://www.gofundme.com/J1tragedyfund

This was set up by Celine Kennelly at the SF Irish Immigration Pastoral Center.

Eamonnca1

Just got in from the funeral service in Sonoma County for the two girls. The service itself was a mass, which I've always found a bit intrusive when given as funerals services. To me it feels like the deceased are a little sidelined among all the standard rituals of the mass, but on the other hand if the familiarity of the rituals give the family a bit of comfort then who am I to judge?

Afterwards there was a party (yes, you heard me right) at Sonoma State University where one of the girls was a student. Food was served, music was played, slideshows were projected, Irish dancers performed, and family and friends got up to speak and share their memories and funny stories. The speakers were emotional, articulate, witty, and funny.

I didn't know any of the victims personally, but thanks to the stories of them doing all the things young people do at that age, we got a sense of who they were and what they meant to the people in their lives. It was a very fitting tribute.

It was poignant, enlightening, and ultimately up-lifting. It was a celebration of their lives.

What we've lost doesn't change what we had.

omaghjoe

Nice of you to go along Eamonn and show your support.

God help their families, I'm sure the tough bit begins now but I am sure the funeral and party will help with their healing.

Is the Irish girl being flown home to be buried?

Eamonnca1

I believe so. Apparently these two were very close friends, one of their pranks was to dress the same and try to make people think they were twins. They were literally together right until the end, their bodies were found to be holding on to each other.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 21, 2015, 03:05:56 AM
I believe so. Apparently these two were very close friends, one of their pranks was to dress the same and try to make people think they were twins. They were literally together right until the end, their bodies were found to be holding on to each other.

Jaysus thats heartbreaking

gawa316

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 21, 2015, 03:57:24 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 21, 2015, 03:05:56 AM

Jaysus thats heartbreaking

it truly is. Still can't get that bit out of my head, the absolute horror and panic  they must've experienced for a few brief seconds

Captain Obvious

Irish student, 21, injured in Berkeley balcony collapse posted this on her facebook

AZOffaly

I saw that. What an attitude from a young girl. There may be an element of it not fully sinking in yet, but that post is unreal.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2015, 09:21:37 AM
I saw that. What an attitude from a young girl. There may be an element of it not fully sinking in yet, but that post is unreal.

Possibly a bit of survivor guilt as well, but an amazing positive post nonetheless.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

No criminal charges in this case. Unfortunately not that surprised, I suspect that the building was built to code and signed off correctly.

Im no expert but my suspicion is that it was some sort of freak combination of things that lead to water leaking in on the balcony caused in part by careless workmanship but probably difficult to prove and/or to pinpoint who was at fault.

From the Bunker

Quote from: omaghjoe on March 29, 2016, 08:04:15 PM
No criminal charges in this case. Unfortunately not that surprised, I suspect that the building was built to code and signed off correctly.

Im no expert but my suspicion is that it was some sort of freak combination of things that lead to water leaking in on the balcony caused in part by careless workmanship but probably difficult to prove and/or to pinpoint who was at fault.

I'd say it's a can of worms and there are thousands of these types of Balconies in the state.

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on March 29, 2016, 08:04:15 PM

Is there not a maintenance obligation also? 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B