Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: our_fella on February 05, 2016, 08:42:43 PM
UUJ: Rory Beggan (Monaghan);
Barry Tierney (Tyrone), Chrissy McKaigue (Derry), Dean McNally (Tyrone);
Luke Keaney (Donegal), Colin Walshe (Monaghan), Killian Clarke (Cavan);
Matthew Donnelly (Tyrone), Nial McKeever (Antrim);
Kieran Hughes (Monaghan), Ronan O'Neill (Tyrone), Danny Savage (Down);
Jamie Clarke (Armagh), Caolan O'Boyle (Derry), Conor McAlliskey (Tyrone).

Thats 13 players who are county standard.

UCC had 2 household names - Michael Quinlivan (Tipperary), Paul Geaney (Kerry).

As Joe Brolly hit the nail on the head with "If UUJ School of flower arranging don't win the Sigerson today it will be a bigger waste of money than Arsenal"

Joke of a Uni

Neither of those were household names either.

Wildweasel74

I remember been at UUJ, the McEntees probably been fresher level, Brian Burns Down and Eamon Burns Derry were still there or maybe back for a masters, neither bothered to play for the Uni that year and they still had a crazy team (been around 95/96)

FermGael

So what's this about then ?

A statement from the Central Hearings Committee today:
QUB GAA, its secretary, chairperson, Sigerson team manager and 3 other players sought urgent Hearings on Saturday the 6th February 2016. 4 of the Defending Parties did not attend. 1 of the players could not attend due to a medical issue and his case was adjourned. As no reasonable excuse for their non-attendance was provided, the other 3 absentees had their Proposed Penalties imposed in accordance with the Official Guide 2015. Following a 5 1/2 hour Hearing, the allegations against QUB GAA and the other Defending Parties in attendance were dismissed.
A further statement will follow.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ck

I've read this twice and can't make head nor tail of it.  :-\ Could mean anything.

Anyone know what the allegations are?

Jinxy

Get rid of the whole thing.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stronghold

I believe
QUBGAA played a number of Stranmillis Students including Marty Clarke. The players, manager James Mc Cartan and QUB official were all suspended.  QUB was thrown out of the Sigerson Cup sometime after they played Maynooth, not sure when.
There is a fully functioning GAA club in Stranmillis playing in a lower division.
If I read the statement correctly those that turned up and QUBGAA won their cases at the hearing committee. Those who did not turn up were suspended.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Jinxy on February 06, 2016, 10:21:06 PM
Get rid of the whole thing.

What Queens? Thats harsh..it's a really nice college. :P
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

FermGael

And the funny thing is that the director of gaelic at Queens was throwing around allegations about other colleges playing illegal players in this week's Irish news.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

theticklemister

BRITISH FINAL CALLED OFF THIS MORNING. LOT OF PEOPLE NOT HAPPY.

Syferus

Quote from: FermGael on February 07, 2016, 08:24:14 AM
And the funny thing is that the director of gaelic at Queens was throwing around allegations about other colleges playing illegal players in this week's Irish news.

After what happened last year that's not even funny, just incredibly sad.

ck

Quote from: stronghold on February 07, 2016, 12:25:35 AM
I believe
QUBGAA played a number of Stranmillis Students including Marty Clarke. The players, manager James Mc Cartan and QUB official were all suspended.  QUB was thrown out of the Sigerson Cup sometime after they played Maynooth, not sure when.
There is a fully functioning GAA club in Stranmillis playing in a lower division.
If I read the statement correctly those that turned up and QUBGAA won their cases at the hearing committee. Those who did not turn up were suspended.

Are u seriously saying that queens have been thrown out of Sigerson? Why are we only learning of this in a chat room?
I previously checked the status of Stranmillis and queens for former role and it would appear legit enough in that Stranmillis seems to be a teaching college in queens. The students all have qub student cards and they all graduate from queens. However, if this has changed then shame on them.
O'Rourke was in the Irish news last week complaining about illegal players in Fitz and Sigerson. This whole thing seems incredible.

tiempo

These supposedly more enlightened higher education participants continuously showing themselves up as incompetent and somewhat challenged in the area of intellect. I wonder if the administrators are the lads of yesteryear that were let in with low grades on the basis of sporting ability? That would explain plenty including Aidan O'Rourke.

Can see the arguments for roading the whole competition but would be much better to start with removing elite player pathways i.e. dropping entry requirements for players.

First off the elite element of the GAA has far too much influence over the volunteer/community aspect that is the foundation of the association. Secondly students should be admitted on their academic merits, not their ability on a sports field. Not in an amateur code.

stronghold

Quote from: ck on February 07, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
Quote from: stronghold on February 07, 2016, 12:25:35 AM
I believe
[/quot
Are u seriously saying that queens have been thrown out of Sigerson? Why are we only learning of this in a chat room?
I previously checked the status of Stranmillis and queens for former role and it would appear legit enough in that Stranmillis seems to be a teaching college in queens. The students all have qub student cards and they all graduate from queens. However, if this has changed then shame on them.
O'Rourke was in the Irish news last week complaining about illegal players in Fitz and Sigerson. This whole thing seems incredible.

Ck I am told that the Higher Ed committee threw QUB out at a meeting last Tuesday night.  I suppose after last year everyone wanted it to be kept quiet.
You are also correct in relation to Stranmillis and the student cards. Only problem is that Stranmillis has its own football club in Division 3
Also remember St Mary's , Stranmillis and Queens all have the same cards.

ck

So QUB are OUT of Sigerson?! Really? Why are we not hearing about this anywhere else??

bannside

Go back and read the relevant posts CK. Queens WON the appeal and the case was dismissed (after a 5 hour hearing).

But they have a sweat on about a few players who were apparently suspended for 12 weeks on a technicality because they were not able to turn up in person to the appeal.

Queens are hopeful this will be rescinded/overturned. That's my understanding of it...though I am quite a distance from any involvement in this.