Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Anyone who suggests that cynicism is exclusive to Ulster teams simply knows very little about football. Yesterday's Sigerson final was a poor spectacle, in poor conditions, on a poor pitch and the only winner (apart from UCD) was cynicism. It's rife in the game at all levels, particularly at the elite end.

The fact that Tyrone are synominous with cynicism is not Tyrone paranoia. Their minor, u21 and senior sides last year were all involved in controversy. Coincidence or are they the countries best exponents?

To the best of my knowledge there were no Tyrone players or coaches (or Ulster) involved in yesterday's Sigerson final. Didn't stop both teams executing their cynical plans to the letter of the law.

Throw ball

Quote from: ck on February 21, 2016, 09:15:19 AM
Anyone who suggests that cynicism is exclusive to Ulster teams simply knows very little about football. Yesterday's Sigerson final was a poor spectacle, in poor conditions, on a poor pitch and the only winner (apart from UCD) was cynicism. It's rife in the game at all levels, particularly at the elite end.

The fact that Tyrone are synominous with cynicism is not Tyrone paranoia. Their minor, u21 and senior sides last year were all involved in controversy. Coincidence or are they the countries best exponents?

To the best of my knowledge there were no Tyrone players or coaches (or Ulster) involved in yesterday's Sigerson final. Didn't stop both teams executing their cynical plans to the letter of the law.

I think there was a couple of Ulster players involved. I know for DCU Simon McCoy ( Armagh Harps) - unused sub - and Conor McNally (Derrynoose) - used sub- were there. For the record both would be very positive players more interested in scoring than cynicism and this is the way both their clubs try to coach their players.

brokencrossbar1

There were 2 Scotstown players playing one each side,  Shane Carey on DCU and Conor McCarthy for UCD.  I was down for the Trench Cup match but had to head on.  It was a very good game with some fine scores.  The one thing I would say about the standard in the final is that the conditions were terrible and I would have great sympathy for the 2 teams.  There was a very strong swirling wind that made kick passing nearly impossible. The itch was in very poor order as was the one the Trench final was on.  A few times in the Trench game players bounced the ball and it barely came back up to them.  Finally the players were busted.  It is unfair on lads to ask them to play 2 games in 2 days,  particularly in these types of conditions.  A recipe for a serious injury on the slippy ground n my opinion. 

I normally detest the hand passing game but in fairness there were a few occasions where UCD used it to great effect,  normally with McCaffrey driving from deep and creating the overlapping run.  When it is done like that in a forward motion and good timing of runs and pass, it can be devastating.  Let's face it for the lads playing it's all about winning and they need to do what is necessary and I would cut them some slack.

ose 14

lads was benny hurl sighted over the weekend and more importantly was his notebook out.

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 21, 2016, 11:21:03 AM
There were 2 Scotstown players playing one each side,  Shane Carey on DCU and Conor McCarthy for UCD.  I was down for the Trench Cup match but had to head on.  It was a very good game with some fine scores.  The one thing I would say about the standard in the final is that the conditions were terrible and I would have great sympathy for the 2 teams.  There was a very strong swirling wind that made kick passing nearly impossible. The itch was in very poor order as was the one the Trench final was on.  A few times in the Trench game players bounced the ball and it barely came back up to them.  Finally the players were busted.  It is unfair on lads to ask them to play 2 games in 2 days,  particularly in these types of conditions.  A recipe for a serious injury on the slippy ground n my opinion. 

I normally detest the hand passing game but in fairness there were a few occasions where UCD used it to great effect,  normally with McCaffrey driving from deep and creating the overlapping run.  When it is done like that in a forward motion and good timing of runs and pass, it can be devastating.  Let's face it for the lads playing it's all about winning and they need to do what is necessary and I would cut them some slack.

Horses for courses. Nothing wrong with direct, fast, supported ball movement through the hand. The problem is when it becomes slow, lateral, and aimless. You want players that are comfortable doing both, and clever enough to know when either is the right option.

Schkite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 21, 2016, 11:21:03 AM
There were 2 Scotstown players playing one each side,  Shane Carey on DCU and Conor McCarthy for UCD. I was down for the Trench Cup match but had to head on.  It was a very good game with some fine scores.  The one thing I would say about the standard in the final is that the conditions were terrible and I would have great sympathy for the 2 teams.  There was a very strong swirling wind that made kick passing nearly impossible. The itch was in very poor order as was the one the Trench final was on.  A few times in the Trench game players bounced the ball and it barely came back up to them.  Finally the players were busted.  It is unfair on lads to ask them to play 2 games in 2 days,  particularly in these types of conditions.  A recipe for a serious injury on the slippy ground n my opinion. 

A Ballybay player on each side too, Ryan Wylie and Dessie Ward. Think there was a few between Donegal and Cavan aswell.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 21, 2016, 08:25:55 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 20, 2016, 10:52:22 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 20, 2016, 03:57:31 PM
No dobut it will be sweep sweep on the timewasting and cynicism here.

The sheer irony of a Tyrone fan complaining about this!

If you have no interest in this competition (which you clearly don't) then don't watch it and don't bore us with your snide  comments.

The irony ain't on this side of the table.

The irony is on the people who want to sweep away the suggestion or notion of cynicism when there isn't really a tangible Ulster presence they can blame it on.

As an aside, Kerry are probably an even more cynical side than Tyrone if the last two seasons are anything to go by.

Do you even realise how much of a knobend you sound on here I wonder? You've made a lot of posts on this thread and the almost ALL of them have been a mix of nonsensical sweeping statements (Sigerson is a joke etc..) along with snipes at scholarships and other technicalities you have little or no knowledge of. Very little about, you know, the actual football..which is telling.

As an aside..I was trying to think of an example from the last 2 years of a Kerry player throwing himself down after getting his head patted, but I can't for the life of me think of one.  ;)
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

east down gael

Mightn't have been in the last two years but Aidan o'mahony didn't exactly cover himself in glory when he threw himself to the ground after getting a face tap off a cork man.

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 22, 2016, 04:49:23 PM

If you have no interest in this competition (which you clearly don't) then don't watch it and don't bore us with your snide  comments.

The irony is on the people who want to sweep away the suggestion or notion of cynicism when there isn't really a tangible Ulster presence they can blame it on.

As an aside, Kerry are probably an even more cynical side than Tyrone if the last two seasons are anything to go by.

Do you even realise how much of a knobend you sound on here I wonder? You've made a lot of posts on this thread and the almost ALL of them have been a mix of nonsensical sweeping statements (Sigerson is a joke etc..) along with snipes at scholarships and other technicalities you have little or no knowledge of. Very little about, you know, the actual football..which is telling.

As an aside..I was trying to think of an example from the last 2 years of a Kerry player throwing himself down after getting his head patted, but I can't for the life of me think of one.  ;)

Jesus I actually agree with you.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: east down gael on February 22, 2016, 05:02:13 PM
Mightn't have been in the last two years but Aidan o'mahony didn't exactly cover himself in glory when he threw himself to the ground after getting a face tap off a cork man.

Last 2 years is what we're talking about. That dive from O'Mahony was terrible of course though. He learned his lesson and didn't do it again. If McCann does the same he'll be fine.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2016, 05:10:26 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 22, 2016, 04:49:23 PM

Jesus I actually agree with you.

I feel dirty.  ;D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 22, 2016, 05:58:30 PM
Quote from: east down gael on February 22, 2016, 05:02:13 PM

Last 2 years is what we're talking about. That dive from O'Mahony was terrible of course though. He learned his lesson and didn't do it again. If McCann does the same he'll be fine.

You walked into that one, to be fair 😀