New York v Ros 1st May.

Started by Rossfan, April 11, 2016, 08:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I'd just like to remind people there is an ignore function.

5 Sams

Quote from: J70 on May 02, 2016, 05:20:09 PM
Do many of that NY team have senior inter-county experience?

The only one I know is Keith Quinn who played for us...do New York get in the back door??
The Aristocrat Years

imtommygunn

That fella mcniece, assuming that is the guy from tyrone, is bound to have? He was close to a starter for tyrone for a while was he not?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2016, 08:38:21 PM
That fella mcniece, assuming that is the guy from tyrone, is bound to have? He was close to a starter for tyrone for a while was he not?
Yes that's him. He was a very good minor around 2008 I think.

imtommygunn

I think he was on an ai winning minor team. The name duane rings a bell too but not 100% sure on him.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 02, 2016, 07:49:27 PM
I'd just like to remind people there is an ignore function.
There is, but no option to block whoever you want to block in quotes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Why would you want to ignore Syferus?
He's probably one of the top 5 Roscommon posters.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2016, 09:36:01 PM
I think he was on an ai winning minor team. The name duane rings a bell too but not 100% sure on him.

Duane was regular Galway starter.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 02, 2016, 05:29:54 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 05:05:46 PM
Last night's near-disaster for Roscommon should be a good thing in the long term because it will temper expectations about where they are really at. They are at least 3 years away from being at an AI Semi final stage unless they get the handiest draw ever through.

You can't make any excuses for nearly losing to a team with no match practice and literally cobbled together.

When Roscommon win 2-3 Connacht senior titles in quick succession they can then start talking about competing at the business end . Mayo people must look in bemusement at times in some of the Roscommon talk.

We actually don't! There is always a tough lesson around the corner from Roscommon! We've had many a fine team ambushed by a so called average Roscommon side! In 2001 when Mayo were League Champions and Galway went on to be AI Champions both were beaten in the Connacht Championship by the Rossies. I'd hold back on writing their obituary based on a game they won, be it only marginally, but they still won. League wise they have come a long way in a short period. There are going to be wobbly phases of course. But they are in a better place to 5 years ago.

Nobody has written any obituary. My fear for Roscommon has been they never annexed an AI Title from all these u21 teams at u21 level.

Similar to Cavan I believe that can get you to Div 1 but not any further unless you're winning these titles. Cavan have fallen short with 4 teams at AI Stage.

They have some excellent young players but I'm not sure they have enough yet.

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
Last night's near-disaster for Roscommon should be a good thing in the long term because it will temper expectations about where they are really at. They are at least 3 years away from being at an AI Semi final stage unless they get the handiest draw ever through.

You can't make any excuses for nearly losing to a team with no match practice and literally cobbled together.

When Roscommon win 2-3 Connacht senior titles in quick succession they can then start talking about competing at the business end . Mayo people must look in bemusement at times in some of the Roscommon talk.

We actually don't! There is always a tough lesson around the corner from Roscommon! We've had many a fine team ambushed by a so called average Roscommon side! In 2001 when Mayo were League Champions and Galway went on to be AI Champions both were beaten in the Connacht Championship by the Rossies. I'd hold back on writing their obituary based on a game they won, be it only marginally, but they still won. League wise they have come a long way in a short period. There are going to be wobbly phases of course. But they are in a better place to 5 years ago.

Nobody has written any obituary. My fear for Roscommon has been they never annexed an AI Title from all these u21 teams at u21 level.

Similar to Cavan I believe that can get you to Div 1 but not any further unless you're winning these titles. Cavan have fallen short with 4 teams at AI Stage.

Both Counties are working from a small base. They are both football mad and have a proud history. Yeah, I know they have not won AI titles, but at least they have done it consistently at Provincial level recently and that level of exposure has to count for something.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 02, 2016, 10:59:33 PM

Both Counties are working from a small base. They are both football mad and have a proud history. Yeah, I know they have not won AI titles, but at least they have done it consistently at Provincial level recently and that level of exposure has to count for something.

It'll get you so far. Winning an AI at u21 level is a sign that a group of players has real quality about it. So 2-3 players you get of an AI winning U21 team can really bolster a senior side as they are coming in as being the best in the country

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 11:02:41 PM

It'll get you so far. Winning an AI at u21 level is a sign that a group of players has real quality about it. So 2-3 players you get of an AI winning U21 team can really bolster a senior side as they are coming in as being the best in the country

Look Tyrone proved that underage titles from the late 90's and early '00 led onto Senior Ai's. On the other hand Kerry recent AI wins came from little or no under age so it's hard to know the connection.

weareros

Yesterday was awful but I remain optimistic for a good championship. We are now at a one game at a time approach and that won't change now, no harm either. The fact that we did not win an U21 final with all those good teams means nothing. We have a small population base and really didn't have the strength in depth to cover for the loss of Compton and Mullooly in the second half this year. We were leading Dublin in the second half of the 2012 All-Ireland but Dublin had the impact subs to turn the game.  More important that the players these teams throw up make us competitive - although a good few have experienced All-Ireland success whether it be club or minor. We've seen them take us from Division 4 to Division 1 in five years. This has not translated into championship success. Give it time though, it will. Right now onwards to Leitirm.

Itchy

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 11:02:41 PM

Galway on the other hand have won all Ireland's at underage and have made no senior break through. There is no formula that fits all

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on May 02, 2016, 09:57:03 PM
Why would you want to ignore Syferus?
He's probably one of the top 5 Roscommon posters.
Good God, I don't think anyone could/would/should do that! There is definitely no probably about it, Syf is the main attraction around here. I'm just a bit concerned about his health and general well-being.  The poor devil spends more time worrying about our problems than he does about his own.
I think I can speak for most (all?) Mayo heads here when I say we have no problem with the team, the manager or the tea ladies or anyone else. I'd like to thank him for his  concern about our welfare but there's no need to dwell on our problems, everything is grand with Mayo- honest.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi