Cork v Galway - Saturday 18th July 2009

Started by orangeman, July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Bud i get tickets every year. never miss. been to the the last 15 finals on the trot.

my club team is going to the Kilmacud Sevens this year. first time so tickets will be at a premium

deiseach

I think momentum is with Galway. Cork took the wind right out of their sails last year so beating them will be a tremendous boost to morale. Still, we have a 100% record against Galway in the championship, an extra week off and the performances of the underage teams is going to give us a boost of our own (Under-21's hammering Tipp!). Should be fun and may the best team win - unless Galway are the better team, in which case may the best team lose.

milltown row

Quote from: deiseach on July 18, 2009, 09:41:48 PM
I think momentum is with Galway. Cork took the wind right out of their sails last year so beating them will be a tremendous boost to morale. Still, we have a 100% record against Galway in the championship, an extra week off and the performances of the underage teams is going to give us a boost of our own (Under-21's hammering Tipp!). Should be fun and may the best team win - unless Galway are the better team, in which case may the best team lose.

whats the story with injuries in the Waterford camp? and Mick Phlean whats he been at lately. watch him against Cushendall this year and he was impressive

seafoid

i hope mouview got the better of his nerves and managed to watch the full match. It's a pity the next match is against Waherford. I would love them to win the all-Ireland but the backs don't seem to be the best and if Joe Canning gets a few decent balls in..

The priority has to be beating Kilkenny . I think Galway are better than the Deise. Less fragile. Sorry Deiseach.

Liverpool should do well this season...

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2009, 09:55:39 PM
The priority has to be beating Kilkenny . I think Galway are better than the Deise. Less fragile. Sorry Deiseach.

Ah, the greater good. I agree Galway would have a better chance of beating Kilkenny than Waterford. But if Waterford winning were to increase the chances of a thousand year Kilkenny Reich, I'd still want Waterford to win. They're my priority.

cicfada

the match against the Deise is set up well for Waterford! Galway have never beaten Wateford in Championship hurling and Waterford will have  had 2 weeks of rest. Ironically it could be the opposite of the game against Limerick that Waterford had in 2007! Fatigue is bound to play a part in the next match but hopefully the Galway camp will be aware of all these factors!! As for Cork, it will be fun to live in the Cork area now for the next few weeks and I can't wait to go into work now on Monday! Of course it possiblt brings a dilemma for me as my club in Cork will probably now be playing their next match on the same day as my county galway! Ah well if that's all I have to worry about then..life is not too bad!!

GalwayBayBoy

Great win for us tonight. Ripping I couldn't make the game due to work. >:(

Anyway not much of a first half but it improved a lot after the break. Very impressed by the Galway defence this year. They are working extremely hard and hunting in packs and the forwards are not far behind them as far as workrate goes. Not allowing the opposition to clear ball unhindered. Had my doubts about whether Ger Farragher would have the legs for midfield but I thought he was superb. His stick work is fantastic and he delivered in some fantastic ball to the forwards and popped up with the odd score too. Ollie Canning masterful at the back. Just sweeps up all the loose ball like a hoover.

Chunky was excellent after he came on and the blend in the half-forward line is working for Galway. Smith and Callanan on the wings are quick and mad for work while either Donnellan or Chunky can do the hard graft more centrally. Even when Joe isn't scoring from play his contribution is invaluable. Unerring accuracy from frees and he still nearly had 2 goals for himself only for good saves by Donal Og.

Bit worried that they might run out of legs next week being out for the 3rd weekend in a row (GAA really have to sort this stuff out. It seems you either have 5 weeks off or you get 3 games on 3 consecutive weekends). The extra games are bringing this team on but I'd say they could do with a week's break at this stage.

Anyway I expect a very tight game against Waterford who will be nicely rested for it.

longrunsthefox

Where and when is the Waterford game. Great to see the Tribesmen win tonight but is hard to see them beat Waterford-Kilkenny and probably Tipp for All Ireland. would be the hardest won of all time... would love to see it though.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 18, 2009, 10:23:24 PM
Where and when is the Waterford game. Great to see the Tribesmen win tonight but is hard to see them beat Waterford-Kilkenny and probably Tipp for All Ireland. would be the hardest won of all time... would love to see it though.

If we were to win it we'd have had to play Laois, Kilkenny, Clare, Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny again and probably Tipp. Sure you'd want to be awarded about 3 All-Ireland's after that. ;D

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 18, 2009, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 18, 2009, 10:23:24 PM

If we were to win it we'd have had to play Laois, Kilkenny, Clare, Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny again and probably Tipp. Sure you'd want to be awarded about 3 All-Ireland's after that. ;D
Tyrone 2005  Cavan-Cavan-Down-Armagh-Armagh-Monaghan-Dublin-Dublin-Armagh-Kerry  just got one All Ireland for it though :P

Minder

Maybe Dinny was right about Niall Mc Carthy
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Quote from: Minder on July 18, 2009, 10:50:14 PM

i did one of those shots last year against Ballygalget, straight through on Clarke and mis hit the thing while i was falling down!!! i'm nearly 40 and not a Cork hurler

dinny was right about Nial. a work horse but cant shoot for shit

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on July 18, 2009, 10:50:14 PM
I think "dreadful" was the word he used! :D

mckieran

Why would we meet Kilkenny in the semi final? I thought this would be avoided as we already played them. Why is it alredy determined that the winners of Galway - Waterford play Kilkenny?

I listened to the RTE analysis of a hurling match for the first time this year. Thought Paul Flynn was excellent on it. When asked if he was happy with Waterfords tactics, he didnt beat around the bush! And gave a detailed anser with specifics (Other anaylsts take note!). Also, Did anyone notice what Michael Duignan was doing when Lyster asked him a question just after the end of the first half? Looked like a student who just got caught not paying attention!