Re-inventing the All Ireland Soccer Team

Started by Eastern_Pride, November 07, 2009, 08:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastern_Pride

After reading about that game in the 70's('73 I think it was) where a rugby-style All-Ireland soccer team w played Brazil, I was just musing about the improvements it could make to both teams, and the Irish. The team itself would be fairly handy and would make for some good watching.

And what would be the team? At the moment I couls definitely see David Healy playing beside Keane, with Johnny Evans in defence with Richie, with Stephen Davis and McCourt(or McCann) replacing Andrews and Whelan as well as the two Reids. Stephen Ireland still wouldn't be allowed played because he's a tool.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on November 07, 2009, 08:58:43 PM
After reading about that game in the 70's('73 I think it was) where a rugby-style All-Ireland soccer team w played Brazil, I was just musing about the improvements it could make to both teams, and the Irish. The team itself would be fairly handy and would make for some good watching.

And what would be the team? At the moment I couls definitely see David Healy playing beside Keane, with Johnny Evans in defence with Richie, with Stephen Davis and McCourt(or McCann) replacing Andrews and Whelan as well as the two Reids. Stephen Ireland still wouldn't be allowed played because he's a tool.

You seriously believe Healy is a better striker than Doyle?  :D

Evans would be a be a huge addition, as would Davis. McCourt doesn't get on for the north so don't know how you think he'd make an All Ireland team, especially in central midfield as he's a winger. Big Laverty would be an option up front in the last 15 / 20 if you're looking some one to throw a long ball up to. Probably a better player than Folan or Best.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 07, 2009, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on November 07, 2009, 08:58:43 PM

You seriously believe Healy is a better striker than Doyle?  :D

Evans would be a be a huge addition, as would Davis. McCourt doesn't get on for the north so don't know how you think he'd make an All Ireland team, especially in central midfield as he's a winger. Big Laverty would be an option up front in the last 15 / 20 if you're looking some one to throw a long ball up to. Probably a better player than Folan or Best.
About the Doyle thing yep I do, after seeing him lately I wouldn't be his greatest fan and Healy has been impressive in the past for the Nord. The defence looks impressive with both countries and it could be a solid unit. Andy Reid and Stephen Davis could do a decent job together.
By the way sorry i meant McCann.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

haranguerer

Healy?  :D :D :D

Jesus Christ, sure OWC live up to their self proclaimed best fans status by booing him now and taunting him about his weight -  a disgrace given what hes done for them in the past, but enough to tell you that he certainly wouldnt make an AI XI!

stiffler

Taylor would be a good back up keeper, Evans and Davis would be certain starters,  Brunt and McCartney would be in with a shout of a start too. Cant see too many others making the squad (maybe Lafferty as the 'big man' option)
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

AFS

Aaron Hughes would definitely be in the squad too.

stew

Quote from: haranguerer on November 07, 2009, 09:40:36 PM

Jesus Christ, sure OWC live up to their self proclaimed best fans status by booing him now and taunting him about his weight -  a disgrace given what hes done for them in the past, but enough to tell you that he certainly wouldnt make an AI XI!

Healy was punched way above his weight for the north and for northern fans to be booing him is ridiculous and they should be ashamed of themselves, rarely has a player done more with less and i dont mean that disrespectfully, i am talking in terms of his talent, he has been a tremendous aset to the north and any decent ni fan would never boo him given his service.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Olaf

Quote from: stew on November 08, 2009, 03:58:10 PM

Healy was punched way above his weight for the north and for northern fans to be booing him is ridiculous and they should be ashamed of themselves, rarely has a player done more with less and i dont mean that disrespectfully, i am talking in terms of his talent, he has been a tremendous aset to the north and any decent ni fan would never boo him given his service.

Couldn't agree more .

Of course , contrary to what some may want to believe this has never happened.

I'm thinking .......McGinn ::)

thewobbler

Sammy Clingan is a better midfielder than Whelan or Andrews.

Breeze

Jesus Christ, sure OWC live up to their self proclaimed best fans status by booing him now and taunting him about his weight -  a disgrace given what hes done for them in the past

What absolute nonsense, but sure why let lies get in the way.

Suppose you heard the booing in between the Billy Boys the last time you were at Windsor  ::)

Olaf

Quote from: thewobbler on November 08, 2009, 06:59:36 PM
Sammy Clingan is a better midfielder than Whelan or Andrews.

Sammy Clingan is magic :)

Gnevin

Jasus you lot are picking teams and discussing tactics . Why don't you discuss what logo,flag and anthem this team uses and where the games will be played ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Breeze on November 08, 2009, 07:27:20 PM

Jesus Christ, sure OWC live up to their self proclaimed best fans status by booing him now and taunting him about his weight -  a disgrace given what hes done for them in the past

Welcome to the GAAboard sir. What club and county do you support?

Suppose you heard the booing in between the Billy Boys the last time you were at Windsor  ::)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

haranguerer

Yes  - didnt hear the billy boys, just the usual 'ulster til i die' rubbish and then the ridiculous 'lets all do the bouncy' - tickets were offered through work, i'd declined a few times before, but not wanting to apear too ungrateful, decided to go to one. I was delighted to find out my ticket was in row 'H' of the kop - so no asking directions from the stewards then  :D

And when healy didnt make the ball a few times, there were taunts about his weight. It wasnt everyone, but there were a significant number. I was surprised (well, not really) to discover how disloyal these 'loyalists' were...

If I've heard them, I find it unlikely in the extreme that you havent, being a more regualar attendant than myself. I was commenting on experience, not just to put down OWC.

Obviously it wasnt all fans, but there was abuse given to healy regarding his weight when he didnt make the ball a few times - and it wasnt 1 isolated fan either, it was significant sections of the people around me

MW

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2009, 09:17:14 PM

Yes  - didnt hear the billy boys, just the usual 'ulster til i die' rubbish and then the ridiculous 'lets all do the bouncy' - tickets were offered through work, i'd declined a few times before, but not wanting to apear too ungrateful, decided to go to one. I was delighted to find out my ticket was in row 'H' of the kop - so no asking directions from the stewards then  :D

And when healy didnt make the ball a few times, there were taunts about his weight. It wasnt everyone, but there were a significant number. I was surprised (well, not really) to discover how disloyal these 'loyalists' were...

If I've heard them, I find it unlikely in the extreme that you havent, being a more regualar attendant than myself. I was commenting on experience, not just to put down OWC.

Obviously it wasnt all fans, but there was abuse given to healy regarding his weight when he didnt make the ball a few times - and it wasnt 1 isolated fan either, it was significant sections of the people around me

So you've backed off on this "booing" claim then?

What were these "taunts" you tell of?

(And what's the "loyalists" comments about? :-\)