5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

greatpoint

Quote from: WhoDat on December 20, 2020, 11:51:19 AM
when will the fiction around donegal end? every year we're told they're going to do something, every year they fail to do anything. they won't do anything next year either. neither will tyrone and you can forget about galway. kerry might make a final but they won't beat dublin.

mayo's youngsters did well. but they ran out of legs once dublin introduced their bench. surely the mullin lad's future is out the field? he had a great game.

The real fiction lies with the poor souls who repeatedly convince themselves that Mayo have any chance of beating Dublin to win the All-Ireland. How much more evidence is needed?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: greatpoint on December 20, 2020, 02:42:33 PM
when will the fiction around donegal end? every year we're told they're going to do something, every year they fail to do anything. they won't do anything next year either. neither will tyrone and you can forget about galway. kerry might make a final but they won't beat dublin.

mayo's youngsters did well. but they ran out of legs once dublin introduced their bench. surely the mullin lad's future is out the field? he had a great game.

The real fiction lies with the poor souls who repeatedly convince themselves that Mayo have any chance of beating Dublin to win the All-Ireland. How much more evidence is needed?

Where has that been noted? Mayo fancied themselves? I'd those comments were tongue in cheek stuff.

Been a while since Mayo were favourites to beat Dublin I'd say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2020, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 20, 2020, 02:00:30 PM

All of those other teams you mentioned have won an All Ireland more recently than Mayo. I would fear facing any of them in a final over Mayo.

Fear what, exactly?

That you might win by less than five points?

Those teams all won their All Irelands before Dublin morphed into the remorseless, efficient, seamless, self-replicating machine that they are now.

Donegal may win another Ulster or two until Michael Murphy retires. Then we're done for a few years, at least. There isn't another Murphy waiting in the wings. Same with the likes of Neil McGee.

Dublin have no such concerns.

That's the difference.

I'm sure Donegal were sick of the sight of Armagh in the early 2000's, but our team ran out of steam, and Donegal beat us now. We're sick of them now, but that's how football works. Teams have their day. Down did too, as did Derry, and Tyrone. Even the great Kerry team broke up spectacularly.

Teams always had hope that someday players age, get injured, lose a yard of pace, and the seemingly unbeatable for a few years are suddenly beatable. 10 years Dublin are on top. That's about the shelf life for most great teams. But after 10 years and 8 AI's, they're only getting started.

SouthDublinBro

"The big evil Dublin machine" is just a convenient narrative for Mayo supporters in particular to fall back on in order to cope and handwave away their own county's failure to win the big one. Why couldn't they win those finals against Donegal, Kerry, Meath or Cork before this Dublin team emerged?

reillycavan

Quote from: Rossfan on December 20, 2020, 01:22:21 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 20, 2020, 01:04:26 PM
It's getting dangerously close to a lot of people just not caring anymore.
They don't already about Leinster and the AI is heading the same way.
At least we in Connacht's "big 3" have a Local squabble to get excited about as have 6 /7 Ulster Counties. Hopefully Tipp will make Munster interesting for another couple of years.
Then there the 4 NFL Divisions and the Tailtean  to give some Countues interest.
And Club Championships within all Counties.
The general public however don't pass much heed in Club and NFL.
It was always the race for Sam that got Joe Public interested enough to get out and give the GAA a big Summer payout.

How many championship games have Galway/Roscommon won in Croke Park in last 20 years? Tipp won't win another Munster for 50/60 year.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on December 20, 2020, 02:14:55 PM
Hounds concern for Sligo is touching.
They must all have the same handlers.
The Dub groupthink is the same on twitter.

seafoid

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 20, 2020, 03:00:01 PM
"The big evil Dublin machine" is just a convenient narrative for Mayo supporters in particular to fall back on in order to cope and handwave away their own county's failure to win the big one. Why couldn't they win those finals against Donegal, Kerry, Meath or Cork before this Dublin team emerged?

The Dubs are  not a team

They are a system.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: seafoid on December 20, 2020, 04:41:58 PM

The Dubs are  not a team

They are a system.

Absolutely. Their ladies footballers just won their fourth AI in a row and the 5 point margin flattered Cork. U20 footballers unlucky to lose AI final yesterday. The GAA have created a machine in Dublin that will continue to churn out success after success.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on December 20, 2020, 05:08:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 20, 2020, 04:41:58 PM

The Dubs are  not a team

They are a system.

Absolutely. Their ladies footballers just won their fourth AI in a row and the 5 point margin flattened Cork. U20 footballers unlucky to lose AI final yesterday. The GAA have created a machine in Dublin that will continue to churn out success after success.

I would back the Dublin ladies to beat the Mayo "men" in an AI Final.

seafoid

Nobody else can win.
That's the whole point
Dublin have made the system unbeatable.
That's not sport.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Itchy on December 20, 2020, 10:26:47 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on December 20, 2020, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 20, 2020, 09:07:08 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 20, 2020, 12:27:37 AM
You'd wouldn't have thought McStay was from Mayo. He was more biased towards Dublin. Looking for the O Connors to be carded, saying Cooper should stay on because he was sent off last year.. Generally foaming over Dublin
They are good but no need for theatrics

That was terrible fawning over 'poor' Johnny Cooper alright.

I didn't/couldn't watch RTE. Sky was brilliant. Grainne mcelwain top notch, Donaghy excellent and always great craic. Mcguinness intense genius. Canavan knowledgeable and engaging ( even threw in a Healy-Rae jibe at Donaghy) . No personal insults, pathetic sound-bites, no contrived humour, no "back in my day"drivel, no disrespect, no partisan pundits/presenters,  graphics much better........if only it was free to view.

Couldn't agree more. 1st year I never even bothered with RTE and I take no pleasure in saying that. Question is how do they come late to the party and get better pundits

Answer to your question - The pundits on RTÉ have to leave their balls at the door ( in the producer's  handbag )  when they enter the building, otherwise they don't get the gig.

They also sign a contract mandating them to to qualify  each sentence with " I love watching the Dublin team  play , their skill levels are off the wall " .

Oh, and never mention the elephant in the room.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Halfquarter on December 20, 2020, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 20, 2020, 10:26:47 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on December 20, 2020, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 20, 2020, 09:07:08 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 20, 2020, 12:27:37 AM
You'd wouldn't have thought McStay was from Mayo. He was more biased towards Dublin. Looking for the O Connors to be carded, saying Cooper should stay on because he was sent off last year.. Generally foaming over Dublin
They are good but no need for theatrics

That was terrible fawning over 'poor' Johnny Cooper alright.

I didn't/couldn't watch RTE. Sky was brilliant. Grainne mcelwain top notch, Donaghy excellent and always great craic. Mcguinness intense genius. Canavan knowledgeable and engaging ( even threw in a Healy-Rae jibe at Donaghy) . No personal insults, pathetic sound-bites, no contrived humour, no "back in my day"drivel, no disrespect, no partisan pundits/presenters,  graphics much better........if only it was free to view.

Couldn't agree more. 1st year I never even bothered with RTE and I take no pleasure in saying that. Question is how do they come late to the party and get better pundits

Answer to your question - The pundits on RTÉ have to leave their balls at the door ( in the producer's  handbag )  when they enter the building, otherwise they don't get the gig.

They also sign a contract mandating them to to qualify  each sentence with " I love watching the Dublin team  play , their skill levels are off the wall " .

Oh, and never mention the elephant in the room.

Here we have Des telling Kevin what to say.

seafoid

The journalism model is based on a competitive sport.
There is enough in an All Ireland final for excitement and tension ahead of the match. Even if the result is a hammering they won't all be because the power dynamic is always changing.

Dublin destroyed that.
TSG on Gaelic Football is pointless

In 2002 the GAA wanted to increase support for GF in Dublin
They proposed
1. Money
2. To divide Dublin in 2 in order to keep the championship competitive.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tale-of-two-city-teams-dominates-gaa-review-1.1047385

Dublin took the money but ignored part 2.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Dubhaltach on December 09, 2020, 07:34:33 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 09, 2020, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on December 08, 2020, 11:01:58 PM
David coldrick expected to referee the final.
Now confirmed.
https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/david-coldrick-to-referee-all-ireland-sfc-final/?

Disaster. Along with the likes of Deegan and Derek O Mahony, Coldrick is a classic 'soft free' ref. He doesn't allow any form of tackle and will always give a free to the man in possession as soon as there is the slightest bit of contact. There's a good chance this final will now turn into a free taking competition between O Connor and Rock.

From the moment David Coldrick was announced for the final, I knew that whatever slim chance Mayo had of winning was pretty much gone. Mayo's entire game plan is based around hard tackling and forcing turnovers, Coldrick doesn't allow any tackle and the man in possession always gets the free. Most of the criticism Coldrick has been getting has focused on the Fitzsimons shoulder and Cooper pull down but for me, the constant soft frees had a bigger impact on the game.

Dublin were 3 points up after 60 mins and they got 2 non-existent frees in the 61st and 62nd minutes to put them 5 clear. That was the game done then and the dubs played keep ball to close it out. (I know Mayo got some soft ones too).

While Dublin would most likely still have won regardless of who was reffing it, I think if Gough or Lane had got the final, there would at least have been a contest in the last 10 minutes.

imtommygunn

The biggest problem is their analysts are rubbish. Sky and the BBC provide analysis worth listening to. Insightful and informed.

The Sunday game is just a fast forward job on the highlights show to avoid listening to it. The live show and you turn over. The hurling analysis isn't bad but the football is rubbish. Spillane and O'Rourke still being there says it all. Sean cavanagh is just looking for the limelight. Martin Clarke, Peter canavan, oisin mcconville, Kieran donaghy etc are a mile above all rte pundits.