12 (10.7%)
5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

WhoDat

what was philly mcmahon saying in the tunnel to start that row?

6th sam

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 20, 2020, 06:10:18 PM
The biggest problem is their analysts are rubbish. Sky and the BBC provide analysis worth listening to. Insightful and informed.

The Sunday game is just a fast forward job on the highlights show to avoid listening to it. The live show and you turn over. The hurling analysis isn't bad but the football is rubbish. Spillane and O'Rourke still being there says it all. Sean cavanagh is just looking for the limelight. Martin Clarke, Peter canavan, oisin mcconville, Kieran donaghy etc are a mile above all rte pundits.

Agreed

reillycavan

The biggest problem is their analysts are rubbish. Sky and the BBC provide analysis worth listening to. Insightful and informed.

The Sunday game is just a fast forward job on the highlights show to avoid listening to it. The live show and you turn over. The hurling analysis isn't bad but the football is rubbish. Spillane and O'Rourke still being there says it all. Sean cavanagh is just looking for the limelight. Martin Clarke, Peter canavan, oisin mcconville, Kieran donaghy etc are a mile above all rte pundits.

BBC ahead of the rest.  Marty Clarke is top notch

6th sam

Quote from: reillycavan on December 20, 2020, 06:27:41 PM

BBC ahead of the rest.  Marty Clarke is top notch

Articulate , intelligent and no agendas. That's all that's required but RTE seem to miss the point. I actually think that it suits RTE's ethos and location in Dublin 4 "Rugby Country" to make the GAA look like the "culchie" sport. They're also happy to promote the Dubs as they know they could potentially destroy the GAA , so that Rugby can take over.....only half joking😜

From the Bunker

Oisin McConville is one of better Analysis's. Love him as a co-commentator.

Rossfan

McStay will soon qualify for an RTÉ pension.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on December 20, 2020, 06:07:58 PM
The journalism model is based on a competitive sport.
There is enough in an All Ireland final for excitement and tension ahead of the match. Even if the result is a hammering they won't all be because the power dynamic is always changing.

Dublin destroyed that.
TSG on Gaelic Football is pointless

In 2002 the GAA wanted to increase support for GF in Dublin
They proposed
1. Money
2. To divide Dublin in 2 in order to keep the championship competitive.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tale-of-two-city-teams-dominates-gaa-review-1.1047385

Dublin took the money but ignored part 2.

Good man Seaf, I remember it well but I had lost all links to the story.
I had a regular drinking buddy named. Bertie at the time and he kept me informed. We were both fond of drinking, talking shyte and frequenting Kennedy's and Fagan's in Drumcondra in that order.
I wasn't too concerned about the review's findings or the reasons for setting it up in the first place but I recall that one of the key findings was that a total of 5 Dublin clubs each had more juvenile players than any of the counties of Leitrim, Longford, Sligo, Roscommon and Longford.
This was the raison d'etre for the establishment of the review. Big Dublin clubs have no community basis and are very much like a pyramid in their membership.
As players get older, the number of teams to accommodate them grows progressively fewer and, in the end, only the ,most talented survive to play senior football.
Even Beritie couldn't understand what the Dublin senior club championship wasn't the best in the land, given that only the creme de la creme makes it to senior ranks.and winning at least 3 out of 5 AIs should have been no bother to them.

I was on holidays when the meeting of Dublin club delegates was held to discuss the proposals and the split was rejected out of hand. The subject was quietly dropped but was said to be held" under review" or something like that.
I never got the full details because it was old news by the time I got back to Kennedy's.
But Bertie was very pally with John Bailey and John was the county board chairman around that time so Bertie arranged to make up the shortfall in revenue that Dublin clubs were desperate for.
GAA funding had depended on the split being accepted. So Berit arranged  for the Sports Council to step into the breach and the rest is history.
(As I was more concerned with Bertie buying his round than I was with the machinations of Dublin football at the time, I may be a bit hazy on finer details but I have gotten the essentials correct.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on December 20, 2020, 06:59:59 PM

True, Spillane and O'Rourke have made an even softer living! Time has moved on, the game has changed, the analysis of games has changed.

Michael O'Hehir was considered a great commentator on TV in the 60's, 70's and 80's. He'd never survive today.

imtommygunn

He'd be better than ger canning that's for sure...

Mayo4Sam14

Did they ever say what happened Durcan?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Tubberman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on December 20, 2020, 08:27:46 PM
Did they ever say what happened Durcan?

Horan said he hurt his quad in the first ball he went for.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 20, 2020, 08:02:47 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 20, 2020, 06:59:59 PM

True, Spillane and O'Rourke have made an even softer living! Time has moved on, the game has changed, the analysis of games has changed.

Michael O'Hehir was considered a great commentator on TV in the 60's, 70's and 80's. He'd never survive today.

O'Hehir's commentary is terrible to listen to now. An awful high pitched voice he had.

I wish they'd have the option of no commentary. Surely it's not that difficult  to do.

BennyCake

Colm Cooper isn't great either as a pundit. Nor as that sideline reporter yesterday . Points out the obvious too much. Doesn't bring much more than any of us see or hear.

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea