Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 28, 2016, 10:10:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 28, 2016, 09:56:38 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 28, 2016, 09:42:47 PM
Good point, make it a prerequisite that after signing up to the draft that you can no longer tog out for the county of your birth ( maybe for 5 years or so) although this will reduce the standard of players available.

I am aware this is a silly idea but in the future if players are going to be remunerated and funded centrally there will need to be a mechanism to give all players an opportunity to make a living from the game regardless of where they are born. Otherwise there would be a free for all.

Back on topic though I wonder has there been a falling out as surely he would have been capable of doing a similar job  to what Donaghy has done this season in midfield.

He suffered a serious injury in Auz. Walsh tore the hamstring off his bone while in action for the Sydney Swans against Essendon and missed the remainder of that season along with the next year's pre-season campaign. He must have been crocked for Sydney to let him go?

check out from 0:50!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL8gwQIRPHI

Tearing the hamstring off the bone is an injury closely associated with steroids. I believe Kevin Dyas did the same during his tenure in the AFL. Addison's disease is also closely linked with steroid abuse, which is what Marty Clarke suffers from.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that steroid abuse in the AFL is systematic and accepted across all the teams, how much the players actually are aware of it is another matter.

Thats a serious accusation and I think you would be in trouble putting stuff like that on a public forum. If you had any sense you would remove that post. You're basically accusing 3 high profile GAA stars of using steroids. Cop on ffs.
The Aristocrat Years

Hill16 Blues

Good point, make it a prerequisite that after signing up to the draft that you can no longer tog out for the county of your birth ( maybe for 5 years or so) although this will reduce the standard of players available.

I am aware this is a silly idea but in the future if players are going to be remunerated and funded centrally there will need to be a mechanism to give all players an opportunity to make a living from the game regardless of where they are born. Otherwise there would be a free for all.

Back on topic though I wonder has there been a falling out as surely he would have been capable of doing a similar job  to what Donaghy has done this season in midfield.

He suffered a serious injury in Auz. Walsh tore the hamstring off his bone while in action for the Sydney Swans against Essendon and missed the remainder of that season along with the next year's pre-season campaign. He must have been crocked for Sydney to let him go?

Tearing the hamstring off the bone is an injury closely associated with steroids. I believe Kevin Dyas did the same during his tenure in the AFL. Addison's disease is also closely linked with steroid abuse, which is what Marty Clarke suffers from.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that steroid abuse in the AFL is systematic and accepted across all the teams, how much the players actually are aware of it is another matter.

You are an arsehole!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It is a terrible insinuation to make to be fair but there has to be some recognition that players who come back from Australia are at a higher risk of having doped given the terrible doping culture that exists in that sport, same goes for players on the fringes of professional rugby.
He was an incredible athlete when he went out there which is a point in his favour.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 28, 2016, 10:35:26 PM

Thats a serious accusation and I think you would be in trouble putting stuff like that on a public forum. If you had any sense you would remove that post. You're basically accusing 3 high profile GAA stars of using steroids. Cop on ffs.

I didn't accuse anyone of taking steroids.

I said that there seems to be a systematic problem of doping in AFL. One AFL team was caught up in a major drug scandal which saw 12 of their players receive drug bans. If you want to infer something about my comments then you go ahead and state your own inferences but a sport with major doping problems having players receiving injuries which are highly uncommon and highly associated with steroid abuse would suggest that there is a major doping problem.

I don't know how much the players know about this, they may be aware, they may not be aware - I have made no comment on that and I stated that rather clearly. However, you would want to be an ostrich to ignore what seems glaringly obvious - systematic doping is widespread in the AFL.

And to be clear, I haven't accused anyone of doping. I highlighted the doping problems in AFL, if you want to bury your head in the sand that the highly unusual injuries/ailments players who have played in the AFL endured are heavily associated with steroid abuse, then be my guest and wrap yourself up in your own ignorance. It seems to be systematic there, how much the players are in on is something I know nothing about.

Do you honestly believe that the AFL doesn't have a major doping problem?

5 Sams

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 28, 2016, 11:12:36 PM

I said that there seems to be a systematic problem of doping in AFL. One AFL team was caught up in a major drug scandal which saw 12 of their players receive drug bans. If you want to infer something about my comments then you go ahead and state your own inferences but a sport with major doping problems having players receiving injuries which are highly uncommon and highly associated with steroid abuse would suggest that there is a major doping problem.

I don't know how much the players know about this, they may be aware, they may not be aware - I have made no comment on that and I stated that rather clearly. However, you would want to be an ostrich to ignore what seems glaringly obvious - systematic doping is widespread in the AFL.
I'd say Tommy Walsh and Marty Clarke would be interested in what you have to say...no matter how you try to justify it.
The Aristocrat Years

Jinxy

And to be clear, I haven't accused anyone of doping. I highlighted the doping problems in AFL, if you want to bury your head in the sand that the highly unusual injuries/ailments players who have played in the AFL endured are heavily associated with steroid abuse, then be my guest and wrap yourself up in your own ignorance. It seems to be systematic there, how much the players are in on is something I know nothing about.

;D ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 28, 2016, 11:18:48 PM

I'd say Tommy Walsh and Marty Clarke would be interested in what you have to say...no matter how you try to justify it.

Do you deny the AFL has a doping problem?

Do you deny both Addison's Disease and tearing muscles off the bone have a strong association with steroid abuse?

If you don't then what's your problem?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Jinxy on April 28, 2016, 11:19:57 PM

;D ;D

Yes.

That is what you call an inference.

All I have done is present facts.

Dyas and Walsh tore their hamstring off the bone - check.

Tearing muscles off the bone is a very uncommon injury and has a strong association with steroid abuse - check.

Martin Clarke suffers from Addison's disease - check.

Anabolic steroids are stronly linked to adrenal insufficiency - check.

All these players suffered these ailments while playing in the AFL - check.

The AFL has recently been caught up in a major doping scandal which was concurrent with Walsh, Dyas and Clarke's AFL careers - check.

I think it is a logical conclusion that the AFL has a major systematic doping problem, the bit that is unknown and which I wouldn't make any comment on is how much AFL players are actually aware with what seems to be occurring.

If people want to get offended by the facts I presented and their own inferences, then that is purely down to themselves.

5 Sams

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 28, 2016, 11:24:45 PM

Do you deny both Addison's Disease and tearing muscles off the bone have a strong association with steroid abuse?

I don't know enough about the problems in the AFL or the stuff you are alleging to comment...but I do know that a lad from Tralee and another from Kilkeel wouldnt be very pleased about a keyboard warrior like yourself implicating them in steroid abuse..
The Aristocrat Years

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 28, 2016, 11:48:58 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 28, 2016, 11:24:45 PM

I don't know enough about the problems in the AFL or the stuff you are alleging to comment...but I do know that a lad from Tralee and another from Kilkeel wouldnt be very pleased about a keyboard warrior like yourself implicating them in steroid abuse..

Well if you don't know enough about the stuff I'm saying then why are you commenting?

Do you always butt in on matters you openly acknowledge you are ignorant to?

To clarify, and reiterate what I have said from the very first post you took issue with to this one here, I am not making any aspersions as to whether these players willingly used steroids. I'm just presenting facts that a logical conclusion of which, would say that steroid abuse in the AFL is systematic and widespread. The only thing that's getting your knickers in a twist would be your own inferences, maybe a lad from Kilkeel and another one from Tralee would not be too happy with your inferences of my posts?

Main Street

In case it has not been mentioned,  there is a strong connection with muscle tearing off the bone in athletes who don't take steroids.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2016, 11:58:25 PM
In case it has not been mentioned,  there is a strong connection with muscle tearing off the bone in athletes who don't take steroids.

Why is it not a common injury in GAA?

ballinaman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 29, 2016, 12:04:00 AM

High hamstring avulsions often result from a mechanism which is more associated in AFL...ie you can be legally pushed in the back when bending to pick up the ball..high force + flexed spine / extended hip = risk for the hamstring common tendon. Now lads obviously get pushed in back in GAA but it's done with fairly watery force compared to AFL where you are allowed to mill a lad out of it

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ballinaman on April 29, 2016, 06:21:46 AM

High hamstring avulsions often result from a mechanism which is more associated in AFL...ie you can be legally pushed in the back when bending to pick up the ball..high force + flexed spine / extended hip = risk for the hamstring common tendon. Now lads obviously get pushed in back in GAA but it's done with fairly watery force compared to AFL where you are allowed to mill a lad out of it

Tearing muscles off the bone happens when the muscles become stronger than the attachment. Anabolic steroids are a big factor in making muscles this strong and if you look at the sports/activities where tearing muscles off the bone are more prevalent - rugby, weightlifting, NFL and AFL - then you might see a correlation between them and the amount of participants who test positive for anabolic steroids when playing those sports. It's more likely to happen to people with disproportionate muscle mass and it certainly should not be happening to youngsters who have only been professional sportsmen for a small number of years.

It's not really the mechanism that causes muscle to tear clean off the bone, it is more the strength of muscles become far more powerful than its attachment. Hamstring injuries are very common in GAA, players tearing the muscle off the bone are not, thankfully. Those type of injuries should certainly raise eyebrows.

ballinaman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 29, 2016, 06:48:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 29, 2016, 06:21:46 AM

Tearing muscles off the bone happens when the muscles become stronger than the attachment. Anabolic steroids are a big factor in making muscles this strong and if you look at the sports/activities where tearing muscles off the bone are more prevalent - rugby, weightlifting, NFL and AFL - then you might see a correlation between them and the amount of participants who test positive for anabolic steroids when playing those sports. It's more likely to happen to people with disproportionate muscle mass and it certainly should not be happening to youngsters who have only been professional sportsmen for a small number of years.

It's not really the mechanism that causes muscle to tear clean off the bone, it is more the strength of muscles become far more powerful than its attachment. Hamstring injuries are very common in GAA, players tearing the muscle off the bone are not, thankfully. Those type of injuries should certainly raise eyebrows.
I haven't read that paper describing that as the main risk factor, has it been published in a peer review journal, throw up the link if you have it.