Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I heard a little off hand comment from Parkinson on the radio about having a draft system for players who are not wanted by the stronger counties. I think he might be on to something especially if centrally funded pay for play ever happens.

My proposal is that each county is required to name a panel of something like 40 players  from their own county. Anyone not selected is then entitled to put themselves forward for a national draft in which division 4 teams can have 3 outside players, division 3 can have 2 picks and 1 for division 2 teams. Players putting themselves up for the draft can indicate their preferred regions to prevent Antrim taking Kerry players.
Just a thought, and could help alleviate any future Seanie Johnston incidences.

imtommygunn

Why was he not getting gametime? I saw him briefly early on when he was back and he did not look sharp at all. Has he not improved?

If he played like he did before he went away he'd have been a starter but he mustn't have reached the same heights.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 28, 2016, 08:17:40 PM
I heard a little off hand comment from Parkinson on the radio about having a draft system for players who are not wanted by the stronger counties. I think he might be on to something especially if centrally funded pay for play ever happens.

My proposal is that each county is required to name a panel of something like 40 players  from their own county. Anyone not selected is then entitled to put themselves forward for a national draft in which division 4 teams can have 3 outside players, division 3 can have 2 picks and 1 for division 2 teams. Players putting themselves up for the draft can indicate their preferred regions to prevent Antrim taking Kerry players.
Just a thought, and could help alleviate any future Seanie Johnston incidences.

Look there is an example of Good players being in New York and playing there, but not going forward to Play in the Connacht Championship for New York. Players of that level see it as below them to play for New York.

Do you think that Tommy Walsh would see it as below him to play for a Division 4 team? Would it be more attractive than sitting on the Kerry subs bench?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Not necessarily Tommy Walsh but there are surely a good amount of talented footballers from the likes of Kerry and Dublin who have no opportunity of playing inter-county football even though they have the talent. I propose that as soon as they are deemed unwanted by their home county they should have the option of putting themselves forward to the draft and given the opportunity of representing another county while giving weaker counties a boost.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 28, 2016, 08:59:37 PM
Not necessarily Tommy Walsh but there are surely a good amount of talented footballers from the likes of Kerry and Dublin who have no opportunity of playing inter-county football even though they have the talent. I propose that as soon as they are deemed unwanted by their home county they should have the option of putting themselves forward to the draft and given the opportunity of representing another county while giving weaker counties a boost.

Once again there is a snobbery there! Who would tog out for Carlow when talented players from their own county won't bother?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

True enough but by making themselves available for the draft they would be demonstrating their willingness to slog it out for the likes of Carlow. Maybe their Hunger could become contagious.
A draft combine would be a bit of fun too.

Beffs

I'm sorry, but this draft idea is daft. I want lads from my county, playing for my county. I don't want a bunch of imports and mercenaries. And there would be mercenaries. You'd have players from non successful counties deliberately "falling out with their managers", getting dropped from the panel and hey presto, they reappear a year later, with another county. Lord knows what "inducements" would be offered to make that all happen. There would just be too much scope for abuse all around.

snoopdog

Another great footballer who has come back from aus sie rules a broken man. The GAA need quality like Tommy Walsh and marty Clarke playing at the highest level.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 28, 2016, 09:07:20 PM
True enough but by making themselves available for the draft they would be demonstrating their willingness to slog it out for the likes of Carlow. Maybe their Hunger could become contagious.
A draft combine would be a bit of fun too.

Then you have the nightmare Scenario. You are Longford, you blood a Dublin born player at 20/21 into championship for 2 to 3 years. He improves each year (holding down the place of a local Longford lad whose progress has halted and probably leaves disillusioned). Dublin see that this player is of a fine standard and approach him. He returns to Dublin fold a developed intercounty player. Meanwhile Longford are left having to replace this player with a player with less experience.

This would make the strong stronger and the weak weaker!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Good point, make it a prerequisite that after signing up to the draft that you can no longer tog out for the county of your birth ( maybe for 5 years or so) although this will reduce the standard of players available.

I am aware this is a silly idea but in the future if players are going to be remunerated and funded centrally there will need to be a mechanism to give all players an opportunity to make a living from the game regardless of where they are born. Otherwise there would be a free for all.

Back on topic though I wonder has there been a falling out as surely he would have been capable of doing a similar job  to what Donaghy has done this season in midfield.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 28, 2016, 09:42:47 PM
Good point, make it a prerequisite that after signing up to the draft that you can no longer tog out for the county of your birth ( maybe for 5 years or so) although this will reduce the standard of players available.

I am aware this is a silly idea but in the future if players are going to be remunerated and funded centrally there will need to be a mechanism to give all players an opportunity to make a living from the game regardless of where they are born. Otherwise there would be a free for all.

Back on topic though I wonder has there been a falling out as surely he would have been capable of doing a similar job  to what Donaghy has done this season in midfield.

He suffered a serious injury in Auz. Walsh tore the hamstring off his bone while in action for the Sydney Swans against Essendon and missed the remainder of that season along with the next year's pre-season campaign. He must have been crocked for Sydney to let him go?

check out from 0:50!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL8gwQIRPHI

Syferus

He was always in Donie Shine's shadow after that 2006 minor final anyways.

Jinxy

Yeah, we heard you the first time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 28, 2016, 09:56:38 PM

He suffered a serious injury in Auz. Walsh tore the hamstring off his bone while in action for the Sydney Swans against Essendon and missed the remainder of that season along with the next year's pre-season campaign. He must have been crocked for Sydney to let him go?

He never will be the same again after that but from what I've seen of him he has maintained some pace and footballing ability. Even if has stamina issues he would still be a good impact sub to have.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 28, 2016, 09:56:38 PM

Tearing the hamstring off the bone is an injury closely associated with steroids. I believe Kevin Dyas did the same during his tenure in the AFL. Addison's disease is also closely linked with steroid abuse, which is what Marty Clarke suffers from.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that steroid abuse in the AFL is systematic and accepted across all the teams, how much the players actually are aware of it is another matter.