Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Reading 'Engage' by Paul Kimmage at the minute and it is brilliant. Heart-breaking but well written, very funny and uplifting too.

michaelg

A Twisted Root by Patricia Craig is a very interesting read for people interested in Irish history.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2013, 11:35:59 PM
Reading 'Engage' by Paul Kimmage at the minute and it is brilliant. Heart-breaking but well written, very funny and uplifting too.
Actually reading that same book myself at the minute. A good read,but awful what matt hampson went through
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Main Street

I was desperate for a bit of distraction from an impending species wipeout at the Ulster Final. I managed to find an audio download of a Fred Vargas book, The Ghost Riders of Ordebec: Commissaire Adamsberg,  Book 07, good stuff, funniest I've read (heard read) in ages.
I've just got as far as Mo being allowed to escape from custody, a classic comic scene.
I have much of the rest of the collection in ebook form, I'll probably keep on with it.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe Ghost Riders of Ordebec: Commissaire Adamsberg,  Book 07

I have it for my holidays - good series. 

Best thing I've read recently is 'City of Bohane - Kevin Barry'.  It's sort of 'The Sopranos' set in a futuristic rough town in the West of Ireland - maybe a 'Playboy of the Western World' for the 21st century.  The language is great, well worth a read.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

RMDrive

Dunno if it's been mentioned in here before but I just finished the Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. Very good.

Syferus

'The History of Gaelic Football' (Part 1) by Eoghan Corry free with today's (Saturday) Indo in SuperValu. Probably can pick up a copy with the Sindo if there's any left over tomorrow. Part 2 next Saturday.

Haven't had a look through it yet but mhmm, new book smell.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 03, 2013, 09:06:40 AM

Best thing I've read recently is 'City of Bohane - Kevin Barry'.  It's sort of 'The Sopranos' set in a futuristic rough town in the West of Ireland - maybe a 'Playboy of the Western World' for the 21st century.  The language is great, well worth a read.
Another good holiday read is Colin Cotterill's Dr Siri  series, each book will have you chuckling from beginning to end. Set in mid 70's Laos after the communists took over, the elderly Dr Siri is a reluctant state coroner as well as a confused mystic.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on July 07, 2013, 05:03:03 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on July 03, 2013, 09:06:40 AM

Another good holiday read is Colin Cotterill's Dr Siri  series, each book will have you chuckling from beginning to end. Set in mid 70's Laos after the communists took over, the elderly Dr Siri is a reluctant state coroner as well as a confused mystic.

Yep, I've read them all except the most recent - they're great craic alright. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Just finished that Berlin Noir trilogy on someone on the board's recommendation. Great stuff. I loved some of his metaphors and similes, but, can anyone tell me if Germans generally talk like that, or is Kerr trying to make a Yank out of Gunther?

Another book I've recently read is "Dreadnought" by Robert k. Massie. Fascinating read about the build up to WW1 between Britain and Germany. Those inbred Royal Family's of Europe have a lot to answer for.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hardy

Quote from: ziggy90 on July 20, 2013, 12:55:30 PM
Just finished that Berlin Noir trilogy on someone on the board's recommendation. Great stuff. I loved some of his metaphors and similes, but, can anyone tell me if Germans generally talk like that, or is Kerr trying to make a Yank out of Gunther?

Another book I've recently read is "Dreadnought" by Robert k. Massie. Fascinating read about the build up to WW! between Britain and Germany. Those inbred Royal Family's of Europe have a lot to answer for.

I shuddered there as I thought it was going to be about the Clogherhead football team of that name - a story of brutality, violence and cruelty that makes WWII look like an ICA tiddlywinks tournament.

ziggy90

Quote from: Hardy on July 20, 2013, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on July 20, 2013, 12:55:30 PM

Another book I've recently read is "Dreadnought" by Robert k. Massie. Fascinating read about the build up to WW! between Britain and Germany. Those inbred Royal Family's of Europe have a lot to answer for.

I shuddered there as I thought it was going to be about the Clogherhead football team of that name - a story of brutality, violence and cruelty that makes WWII look like an ICA tiddlywinks tournament.

Very good!!
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ardal

Were the dreadnots  named after one of the trawlers who's owner sponsored the team a wee bit back in the day?

Hardy

They were Dreadnots long before sponsorship existed. At least I'm assuming there was no sponsorship in the 19th century. A snippet of the club's colorful history:

Extraordinary scenes at the football match in Castlebellingham (Co Louth ) were reported at the meeting of the Louth GAA Executive in Dundalk. On hearing the report one of the teams concerned – Clogherhead Dreadnoughts – were expelled from the GAA forever.

The referee (Mr Sean McMahon) reported that he ordered one of the Dreadnought players to extinguish a cigarette that he was smoking and the player told him to put on a Tallonstown jersey.

During the match the report continued the Clogherhead players did nothing but threaten and intimidate the Tallonstown players. Clogherhead had no intention of letting the game finish as a football game should end, and when the final whistle went they attacked the Tallonstown players in brutal fashion.

One of the Tallonstown players (McArdle) was brutally ill treated and when on the ground received a nasty kick on the left eye, and had to be medically attended. Free fights followed on all sides, with the Clogherhead men the aggressors in all cases

The referee stated that the Association was going through sufficiently trying times without having teams serve up such an exhibition.

The Clogherhead team was no asset to the Association, but rather a disgrace to it. He deplored the sickening scenes, which had taken place.

The Chairman (Ald Tom Burke, Drogheda) said the conduct of the Clogherhead players was such as could be met only by expelling them from the Association for life, and he ruled accordingly, adding that he hoped an affiliation would never be entertained from such a team again.

Gives cheery warmth and cuts down your coal bill. Prompt deliveries, Trial solicited.

(Drogheda Independent, 1928)

ardal

Very good. Bloody Louth thugs.

I just associated the name with the boat I was on a wild time ago during the blessing of the boats. What's the name of the festival called in Clogherhead? I remember sonnu Knowles having knickers thrown at him outside the big tree. (The prawn festival?)