Munster SFC Championship

Started by Dinny Breen, April 23, 2007, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that the league is over who is going to win it?

Limerick
Kerry
Cork
Waterford
Tipperary
Clare

Dinny Breen

One rule and one rule only you can't vote for your own county....
#newbridgeornowhere

realredhandfan

Bogball XV

Limerick haven't looked too bad at times this year, you'd just never know?  What's the draw?

Tatler Jack

Limerick were the only team to take a point off Donegal. They play Cork in Cork - it was close enough in the recent league game up to about the last 10 mins when Cork pulled away - after Galvin went off injured. If Morgan picks a team with forwards who can score Cork should win. If he selects a team with forwards who are converted backs and midfielders then anything can happen. If Cork win the U21 AI it could have a knock on effect on the seniors and I would fancy them for Munster.

SuperDooperCooper

Since I cant vote for the All-Ireland champions I may as well give the vote to the provincial champions.

The draw is as follows

Waterford v Clare - Winner v Kerry - match live on telly. If Clare it is in Killarney otherwise Dungarvan (come on Clare.......)

Cork v Limerick (Cork) - Winner v Tipp.

If (when) Kerry V Cork final then on in Killarney.

This year the Munster football final is on the 1st of July which leave a big gap to the All-Ireland QF (Aug 11th - 6 weeks) for whoever wins the province.
6 week break is way too long and the qualifier route may be the best one to take.

It was felt the switching of the Football and hurling finals was to facilitate the hurlers schedule. As the Munster Hurling final on 08/07 with QF for hurling on 22/29 of July.
A convenient 3-4 week break. Munster now officially a hurling province.....

Tatler Jack

QuoteA convenient 3-4 week break. Munster now officially a hurling province

Munster was always a hurling province SDC. Time Kerry realised this and decide to take part. Opting for the soft football option cannot continue for ever.  ;D

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Redgreenery

It's only going to be between Cork and Kerry alright, but I'd have to go for Kerry, hard to look past them and couldnt see anyone beating them in Munster for this year.

AZOffaly

I fancy Cork for Munster. I think Kerry are weaker than last year, and I think Pat O'Shea will cause hassle in their camp. I also think Cork are primed.

Dinny Breen

Quoteand I think Pat O'Shea will cause hassle in their camp

Interesting AZ, can you elaborate?
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I can, and it's only an opinion mind you, but based on a few things.

Basically, Dr. Crokes are not a popular club in Kerry, especially from Killorglin down, which is where I know most people. Pat O'Shea will be in trouble if he is 'perceived' to favour Crokes players, despite their good run. This is already happening, and will only get worse if some of those Crokes lads are on the team come the Summer.

There are other issues which, I think, and I could be wrong completely, may raise their heads such as captaincy, training methods etc etc.

As I said, I could be completely wrong, but there are rumblings and have been since he was appointed. One bad result for Kerry could leave a big impact on their season. I know they had a phase last year of disquiet, but got over it. I'm not sure if they would get over it again this year. South Kerry and Tralee will be very easy to rile by a Crokes man.

Dinny Breen

Very interesting, knew Crokes weren't popular but didn't think it went that deep, coaches will always favour players they know can do a job for them, Cork are starting to look like a decent bet for Munster at least...
#newbridgeornowhere

SuperDooperCooper

There will be no trouble in the Kerry camp - unless Jack goes too deep in his book (personally don't feel he should be bringing out a book when many of the player in it are still playing  but I will buy it). I think AZ is too reliant on his South Kerry connections. There is no love lost between South Kerry and the Crokes since the after match reception following South Kerry win in the county final of '05. Things took a major step for the worse when the team was selected for the final last year with Brossie dropped for Declan O'Sullivan (the least popular south Kerry player in Killarney....and not because of this as AZ probably knows too well). Pat O'Shea is the right man for the job. Kerry slightly weaker in the backs (Killian Young / Padgaig Reidy lack of experience) but the defence is ok. Cork can't cope (never could) with Dara and the forward are better than Corks.

AZOffaly

Very possibly SDC. But I do know that South Kerry and Tralee as a group would have no love for Crokes. I admit I get all my info from South Kerry, including some of the people you mention by name, so I am aware it would be slanted. I'm not going into specifics here, but some of the incidents cited are distasteful to say the least.

However, the very fact that such an ingrained dislike is there before the season even really gets going is hardly a great base to start from.

PS. I should mention, lest there be any mis-understanding, that I have heard NO mention of disaffection yet from anybody actually involved in the camp. Nothing specific from the horses' mouths so to speak.

realredhandfan

I know if i was a Kerry man id be worried that these splits could become craters come August / September time against Northern Opposition.  Up North We always like to expose anything which might not be as it should be.