2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

I see where Ryan has brought a few U21's into the panel most of which are from junior and inter clubs. Naomh Eanna from Belfast being one.
Again I know they beat us in Portlaoise last year but if we have any aspirations this year we will beat them on Sunday and be playing Offaly on June 7th.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

TheGreatGame

I'm with Tobias on this one.  It's going to be played in bad weather on a club pitch with a vocal home crowd behind them.  I firmly believe we have the better hurlers, but I hope Cheddar picks a team that will be primed for a battle because that's what it will be.

burdizzo

Typical. Beaten by a last minute penalty. Conceding five goals - what's going on?

Thewildcat

Quote from: Thewildcat on March 19, 2015, 03:40:11 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on March 19, 2015, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on March 19, 2015, 12:51:41 PM
Antrim are alot poorer this year but we still shouldn't take them for granted. The system is a joke anyhow. Antrim could lose all their league games plus the relegation playoff and still stay up!

Just like the biffo's last year.....
[/quote

offaly beat Antrim last year in the league and drew with limerick, its some kick in the arse for laois to be in a relgation play off this year after the work over the last two years,  Laois will  beat Antrim to stay up and i think Antrim will beat the winners of division 2 also to stay up, where Antrim will be dangerous will be in the round robin games in the championship thats what they will have their eye on not league play offs.

lads this is the post i put up in march, its a killer to lose with the last puck of the game but Antrim had the game today in their mind since the draw was made, offaly got out of jail last year there in the championship with a last minute goal its no shock that they won today up in ballycastle, i also think laois might have had their eye on a clash with offaly which could have been the reason for todays lose, not over yet Antrim could take their eye off westmeath next weekend.

hurlingstick

Why did Cheddar take Willie Hyland off? I was delighted!!! As bad a display of refereeing as I've seen.

redsetanta

That is some sickener alright. Conceding goals is killing us. We put up a massive score again and still beaten. It was goals in Wexford game that undid all our good work.

So we are now relying on Westmeath beating Antrim and us winning our remaining two games.

Can anyone who was there put up a report as couldn't listen online yesterday.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

hurlingstick

Quote from: redsetanta on May 04, 2015, 11:54:32 AM
That is some sickener alright. Conceding goals is killing us. We put up a massive score again and still beaten. It was goals in Wexford game that undid all our good work.

So we are now relying on Westmeath beating Antrim and us winning our remaining two games.

Can anyone who was there put up a report as couldn't listen online yesterday.

I'm an Antrim fan and was at the game. Your full back line couldn't handle our quick forwards (thus 5 goals). You went 5/6 points up on a couple of occasions but you didn't put us away. Like I said previous, I can't understand why Cheddar took Willie off, we were delighted about that.

burdizzo

Yeah, my young lad (8!) was up at it, and he reckoned Willie shouldn't have been taken off, either. I wonder how much of a loss John A was at corner back? Could Dunne have slotted in there, and play Walsh out further? How did Rowland do in goals? Wasn't there meself, but again, the young lad (the old sage!) reckons Reilly might've been a better bet. Anyway, it's going to hard to make much progress this year - they'll almost certainly still be in the round-robin again next year.

crow

Was there myself, we lost the match from over playing the ball ourselves and losing it, we had chances of scoring more points but ran ourselves into trouble, we are not physical enough to think we could run through Antrim,  there could have been some changes made at half time some of our forwards were quiet enough in the first half, then the 3 lads that were taken off had scored 9p between them,strange call, our inside back line looked in trouble especially in the second half, it was a day I taught for Tom Delaney big strong good hand worth a try and James Corrigan could have been slotted into that back line , our half back line went out of the game too,Cha ended up playing right in front of Joe Fitz, when we applied the sweeper we left Antrim players lose all over the place, our line up the middle is not strong or tough enough, Rowland made a few poor clearances ,I hope Cheddar plays these lads next week its time to try them out and ,we still have Picky, JohnA ,Neill Foyle to come on, the ref made some awful  decisions against both sides the penalty was no penalty but he was not the reason we lost the game, I still think we need some big strong lads in the central positions, I can not see Antrim being beaten but we are still there.

redsetanta

The Antrim supporters are just as aggrieved with the ref. Seems to be the consenus on their board that Laois probably played the better hurling for most of the game but Antrim 'wanted it more' which got them over the line in the end.

Was Willie annoyed about being taken off? Right or wrong call?

Who were the stand out players for Laois on the day and how did MAtthew Whelan play?

Tobias

I didn't make it to Antrim on Sunday either lads but it's hugely dissappointing. Having said that I'm not that surprised as I haven't seen any evidence that we have moved ahead of Antrim as some posters on this forum suggested last week. Antrim were quiet unlucky in a few of their league games and the reality is there is very little between us.
The obvious thing with this laois team at the moment is our goalkeepers and back line are struggling. For years it was our forward line and how they weren't doing the business but it has to be said they are racking up the scores these days. As I said I wasn't at the match but I didn't need to be to know that we shouldn't be conceding 5 goals to Antrim. Last yr and the year before we competed really wel against good opposition in league and championship when we played defensively. it seems our back line are struggling playing 6 on 6. Waterford are not the best team in Ireland by any means but they won the league by playing to their strengths. If we get over Carlow and westmeath I think we should go back to the way we played against galway for the Wexford game. I doubt we're good enough to beat them 15 on 15. Regardless of everything else I really hope the lads stay with it and the wheels don't come off at this stage, I think they owe it to themselves to come back next Sunday and the Sunday after and give this a real go.

crow

It boils down to work rate, all our forwards dont work hard enough off the ball,and as regards our backs we are not big or tough enough, we need a big strong full back to dominate, Dovey is missed big time and Matthew is not aggresive enough,Cheddar will have to try something new next Sunday, Rowland or Reilly should have been in goal from the start hard on them not knowing who is first choice,the Antrim game was the most important game of the year for us and if Picky was able to play with his club on Monday was he not worth 10 mins against Antrim and if Foyle starts next week was he not worth 10 mins against Antrim how much better can one get in a week.

portlaoisekid

Such a terrible result for Laois hurling last Sunday, I really felt we could go up there and make a statement and beat them playing well.  It just seems every time we think we are making strides forward we go two steps back. Our lack of height in the back line and especially in the full back line is problem.

We have some good hurlers and I think we will make second place in the group as Antrim have the group won already but IF we finish second a match versus Wexford doesnt bode well whereas a local derby versus Offaly would have been a great occasion for us.

This Laois team can offer no excuses as to preparation as they have the most professional set up any Laois hurling team has ever had and it disappointing to hear lads, albeit not on here, calling for Chedders head to roll. From what I know its his last year and I worry for the future without him in charge. Its time for the players to stand up and be counted and drive forward and show that we can hurl under pressure.

theskull1

Quote from: burdizzo on May 04, 2015, 05:01:09 PM
Yeah, my young lad (8!) was up at it, and he reckoned Willie shouldn't have been taken off, either. I wonder how much of a loss John A was at corner back? Could Dunne have slotted in there, and play Walsh out further? How did Rowland do in goals? Wasn't there meself, but again, the young lad (the old sage!) reckons Reilly might've been a better bet. Anyway, it's going to hard to make much progress this year - they'll almost certainly still be in the round-robin again next year.

You werent per chance in the group showing the young lad how to blow raspberries? We enjoyed that .....when the ball dropped into the net  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: frostbit on May 07, 2015, 11:19:27 AM
Maybe, instead of calling for people's heads you should get behind the team and believe that in the event of coming second in the group that you can beat Wexford.  It isn't an impossibility. 

I think it is a bit arrogant of a lot of you to have expected to go up and beat Antrim in Ballycastle.  No matter our problems at the minute, we have good hurlers who are proud to wear the Saffron jersey - just as proud as some Laois men are proud to wear theirs.

Good luck for the season.

frostbit, we have plenty of the same arrogance up here.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera