Stevie McDonnell - Leave Me Alone

Started by ONeill, February 13, 2007, 07:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

McDonnell has been sounding off in today's Irish News about 'so-called' Armagh fans who have been abusing him from the stands, claiming they don't know much about football. He also says the Louth players and goalkeeper were slagging him and it wasn't nice. Anyone got an IN account?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Article in full

ARMAGH ace Stevie McDonnell last night hit back at "so-called Armagh fans" who have abused him during games and urged Joe Kernan to axe him from the team.

The Killeavey clubman vented his anger after winning Sunday's NFL tie against Louth with a superb last-minute goal.

It is understood McDonnell has been on the receiving end of some vitriol from a section of Armagh spectators this season, who have accused him of being "too greedy" in front of goal.

The 27-year-old former Allstar broke his silence last night by saying: "I'm just a bit pissed off with some of the things that fans are saying; that I'm too greedy and that big Joe should drop me.

"I know I took some wrong options against Louth, I realised that myself, but when you hear some of your own fans going behind your back and saying things, I'm not happy about that. I hear some of it when I'm playing, but I'm hearing most of it from what my family hears in the stands."

McDonnell added that he never considered quitting the inter-county scene just because of the criticism, which seems unwarranted given his massive contribution in helping Armagh to an All-Ireland title and six Ulster crowns since breaking into the senior squad in 1999.

"I've never thought about packing it in," he said. "I wouldn't let them get me down that much. It's not only myself, other senior players have taken some abuse as well. But these are the people that don't know much about football. You talk to many who do know their football and you respect what they have to say about it."

He added: "I don't know, maybe Armagh fans expect too much from me. I'm probably not playing as well since the 2005 season. At the end of the day, I'm only human and I go out and try my best for the county every day. But it's something that annoys you.

"It sickens you a bit because you give so much to the county and we've won a lot for them. These are so-called fans. At the end of the day the most important people are the 30 players that you train with every week."

McDonnell was also riled by several Louth opponents during Sunday's one-point National League victory. The Armagh forward was taunted by several players as the two teams exited the pitch at half-time in Crossmaglen.

"No matter what I tried in the first half it wasn't coming off for me," explained McDonnell. "The more I tried, the more frustrated I got and I maybe rushed things a bit instead of laying things off.

"To score the goal and win the game for us was really sweet because when I was coming off at half-time, there were five or six Louth boys in my ear and slagging me off about my shooting. You usually have to take a bit of abuse from your marker, but not from five or six opponents, and their goalkeeper was one of them. So it was good to ram their words back down their throats with that goal.

"I was annoyed at half-time and I said to the boys if I get one chance in the second half, I'm going to put it away. Thankfully it worked out, but the most important thing was the win."
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

bennydorano

He took a lot of abuse on Sunday which was mostly beacuse of his shooting and lack of passing.  I don't think any of it is personal, does he think he should be exempt from criticism anyway?  And I doubt very much whether there are too many calling for him to be dropped :o I've heard a few people hear saying he should be rested.

SlimShady

and who claimed Armagh fans were scumbags?  :D ;D

Six Inch Nail

I agree with Benny.  McDonnell took abit of abuse on Sunday due to his decision making.  You will always get a couple of gobshites who will shout for a mans head on a plate when he does something wrong, this type of person is called a "bandwagon jumper".  Armagh have attracted a whole new type of supporter since 2002, and some of them go to league matches as well, doesn't mean that they know anything about football.  McDonnell won a serious amount of ball on Sunday but wasted alot of it, I'd say he'd be the first to admit it that he wasn't at his best.  However, he is still one of the best forwards in the country and maybe he is right when he says that we expect too much from him.

sc**bag supproters Slim, yes we have a right few of them, as does every county.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Mack the finger

Armagh have done well over the last few years, and the fans perhaps have high standards now.

Criticism of McDonnell is a bit unfair though. Even though he might be going through a lean spell by his standards,
he's still trying to get amongst the scores. Lesser players would have let their heads drop and went missing in games. Not McDonnell though.

Those criticising McDonnell are in the minority, and it'll only make Stevie more determind to ram the criticism down their throats - just as the Louth Goalkeeper found out in the last minutes on Sunday.

As a forward, he's gonna be a bit selfish. Tis part of the makeup of the great forwards.

And what's with the notion bandied about that it's only the real supporters that go to league games. Nonsense.

SlimShady

Quote from: Six Inch Nail on February 13, 2007, 10:42:17 AM
I agree with Benny.  McDonnell took abit of abuse on Sunday due to his decision making.  You will always get a couple of gobshites who will shout for a mans head on a plate when he does something wrong, this type of person is called a "bandwagon jumper".  Armagh have attracted a whole new type of supporter since 2002, and some of them go to league matches as well, doesn't mean that they know anything about football.  McDonnell won a serious amount of ball on Sunday but wasted alot of it, I'd say he'd be the first to admit it that he wasn't at his best.  However, he is still one of the best forwards in the country and maybe he is right when he says that we expect too much from him.

sc**bag supproters Slim, yes we have a right few of them, as does every county.

you sound like the OWC brigade!!

full back

Quote from: SlimShady on February 13, 2007, 10:32:10 AM
and who claimed Armagh fans were scumbags?  :D ;D

The more people go to games, the better chance there is of attracting scumbags.
Although to be honest Slim I dont think you lot will have that problem in the near future

Armagh4SamAgain

I wasnt at the game on sunday but getting on Stevies back is out of order. These players are amatures givin up there own time to play football an dont need this type of soccer shite.. Stevie will come good again and stick there chants up there holes! Keep at it Stevie!!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

SlimShady

i'd rather have no crowd than you crowd!!

Scumbags of the highest order, if yer not pissing and boaking in the street or over yourselves yer staggering all over the place and if ye are still fit to speak come throw in time you slate arguably your best forward (apart from Oisin) since football began. (2002).

full back

Quote from: SlimShady on February 13, 2007, 10:52:37 AM
i'd rather have no crowd than you crowd!!

Scumbags of the highest order, if yer not pissing and boaking in the street or over yourselves yer staggering all over the place and if ye are still fit to speak come throw in time you slate arguably your best forward (apart from Oisin) since football began. (2002).

As I said Slim , the more supporters you have the better chance of attracting a few scumbags.
Think you are tarring a lot of people with the same brush there

Armagh4SamAgain

When was tha last time you were at a Armagh match Slim? The fans you discrib dont exist!! I've never seen any of that behavior at a match. You must hav been at a soccer match.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

SlimShady

yeah, right enough full back. I apologise.

Its the same idiot with the 20p that went to them Norn Iron games causing trouble, he's an Armagh fan as well.

lets put it a different way then, Armagh have a larger sc**bag population than any other county on average. agreed?

realredhandfan

Outrageous behaviour from the tangerine men.. to claim personal abuse isnt personal is almost as bad as the initial offences. It seems that theres a few rotten apples in the orchard after all and looks like the golden (delicious) era for the apple munchers has been well and truly harvested.  My moneys on Donegal for the Ulster this year.

full back

RRHF-f**king hilarious-you have missed your vocation

Slim, Armagh having a larger sc**bag population on average!!
Take it you are excluding large sections of your own beloved county