Michael Lyster's imminent retirement

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2018, 07:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Jinxy

Quote from: BennyCake on January 30, 2018, 06:47:14 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on January 30, 2018, 03:44:28 PM
I'd settle for Carney, Canning and Carr in the studio if there was an absolute guarantee that they'd never ever enter a commentary box again.

I'd just prefer a 'No commentary' option on matchdays. Commentator ruin games, especially Canning.

Someone like Cian Ward or Anthony Moyles would be a good co-commentator with Darragh Moloney.
They actually think about what's happening on the field.
However, once you're in RTE, you're there for life so we're stuck with the usual gang.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

johnneycool

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 01, 2018, 02:59:21 PM
Cantwell is a good choice!  :)

Provided she can keep the lunatics from taking over the asylum on a Sunday afternoon.

Jinxy

Quote from: MoChara on February 01, 2018, 02:05:05 PM
Its Joanne Cantwell, so who ever guessed it right come up the front to get your prize

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joanne-cantwell-to-anchor-the-sunday-game-following-michael-lysters-retirement-36556438.html

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2018, 07:44:41 PM
After his health scare I hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement.
Will feel strange watching it without him.
I'd like to see Joanne Cantwell get the gig.

Where's my bottle of Blue Nun.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2018, 03:33:23 PM
Quote from: MoChara on February 01, 2018, 02:05:05 PM
Its Joanne Cantwell, so who ever guessed it right come up the front to get your prize

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joanne-cantwell-to-anchor-the-sunday-game-following-michael-lysters-retirement-36556438.html

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2018, 07:44:41 PM
After his health scare I hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement.
Will feel strange watching it without him.
I'd like to see Joanne Cantwell get the gig.

Where's my bottle of Blue Nun.

You can divvy the Blue Nun out there Nostradamus

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 29, 2018, 10:23:23 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 29, 2018, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 29, 2018, 09:35:03 AM
RTE's whole GAA coverage needs a complete shake up. They should use Lyster's retirement to revamp the whole approach. When you see what TV3 did and what Sky are doing and the clued in analysts they have on board it shows how decrepit and past its sell by date RTE's coverage is. I rarely if ever watch the half time bullshit on RTE but I would on other channels. I usually record TSG and fast forward through the talk. Des Cahill alone just really sickens me. The end of year show where they all shout over each other like kids summed it up.

I delight in muting TSG at half time. Brolly, Spillane  and co have nothing of interest to say that I want to hear.

But yes, rte coverage is stale and shite. I deliberately avoided all results yesterday in order to see the highlights, and ended up having to look them up online as they couldn't be arsed even telling us NFL 2,3,4 scores. Bloody pathetic.

That was a f**king disgrace, one of them occasions where you find yourself shouting at the telly.

Will be sad to see Lyster go, has been a stable of my Sunday afternoons for nearly 40 years. Cantwell or O'Cinnéide for me. If it's O'Cinnéide balance the Kerry equation by retiring Spillane, simple.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

twohands!!!

Quote from: johnneycool on February 01, 2018, 03:00:38 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 01, 2018, 02:59:21 PM
Cantwell is a good choice!  :)

Provided she can keep the lunatics from taking over the asylum on a Sunday afternoon.

That ship has sailed years ago.

magpie seanie

easytiger95

I've got a funny feeling after her first afternoon listening to Brolly, O'Rourke and Spillane condescending to her, she'll be #MeToo

BennyCake

I've no problem with Joanne hosting. Hosted a GAA night once I attended. Did very well.

But RTE should bring in a new generation of pundits and commentators. The country is sick listening to Brolly and Spillane, and Canning on commentary. I know I am!

Sandy Hill

Would have much preferred Darragh Maloney, knowledgeable and good at keeping debate going. Cantwell, I feel, is a bit of a diva and that voice!!!! But, having said that, good luck to her and I'll continue to watch the Sunday Game Live.
"Stercus accidit"

Wildweasel74

On what basis as Rte decided to go with her?

Kidder81

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 02, 2018, 09:50:50 PM
On what basis as Rte decided to go with her?

Current climate, was always going to be a woman

Wildweasel74

Dara O'Cinnéide was the only man for the job