Quebec - to split or not to split, that is the question?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, September 24, 2007, 09:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Gabriel_Hurl

screenexile

Here is a  list of the top 21 famous canadians from 2003 (Elisha Cuthbert would obviously be in a more up to date version)!

Avril Lavigne
Pamela Anderson    
Romeo Dallaire    
Shania Twain    
Nelly Furtado    
Estella Warren         
Sum41         
Shannon Tweed         
Barenakedladies    
Keanu Reeves     
Celine Dion         
Alanis Morissette     
Peter North    
Bryan Adams
Neil Young    
Jim Carrey    
Natasha Henstridge    
Jennifer Tilly         
Sarah McLachlan         
Leonard Cohen    
Kristin Kreuk
Screenexile ;D

Gnevin

Quote from: screenexile on September 24, 2007, 02:19:09 PM
Here is a  list of the top 21 famous canadians from 2003 (Elisha Cuthbert would obviously be in a more up to date version)!

Avril Lavigne
Pamela Anderson    
Romeo Dallaire    
Shania Twain    
Nelly Furtado    
Estella Warren         
Sum41         
Shannon Tweed         
Barenakedladies    
Keanu Reeves     
Celine Dion         
Alanis Morissette     
Peter North    
Bryan Adams
Neil Young    
Jim Carrey    
Natasha Henstridge    
Jennifer Tilly         
Sarah McLachlan         
Leonard Cohen    
Kristin Kreuk
Screenexile ;D
What Gab didn't make the list,this is an outrage !
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Aristotle Flynn

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Gabriel_Hurl

deiseach

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on September 24, 2007, 02:24:26 PM
Czechslovakia broke up peacefully.

I wouldn't say it was a 'mature liberal democracy' when it happened. The dominion of Canada is 140 years old. That's a lot of shared history to unravel.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Loughers

Michael J. Fox.  I disagree with deiseach re. the breakup of Canada.  If that was the case, we'd have the breakup of Switzerland, Belgium and a host of middle and eastern Europe countries with sizeable minorities.  Is it not better to see people living together than breaking apart?

deiseach

Quote from: Loughers on September 24, 2007, 02:53:40 PM
Michael J. Fox.  I disagree with deiseach re. the breakup of Canada.  If that was the case, we'd have the breakup of Switzerland, Belgium and a host of middle and eastern Europe countries with sizeable minorities.  Is it not better to see people living together than breaking apart?

Jeez. Just because Switzerland and Belgium CAN break up doesn't mean they HAVE to break up. But at the moment, the onus seems to be on seperatist movements to justify themselves. When did a desire for national self-determination become an inherently bad thing?

heganboy

I think Belgium may split before canada, but I think we'll see both happen in the next 10 years. Belgium is struggling at the minute, it could turn out that the monarchy is the one thing that keeps it together
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

The thing holding Belgium together is Brussels. It's a French speaking city nestling within what would be the territory of an independent Flanders. No sod knows how to square that circle, so the attitude is to leave well enough alone. Ergo, we have Belgium.

Mentalman

Having spent some time there, pleasant and all as it is, I'd say the split would probably do them some good, revitalise both countries. Man, people call us MOPEs, and it's a term I hate, but the Belgians have serious issues with the Germans, Dutch, French, Spanish and to a lesser extent our old buddies, the English, and of course each other.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

J70

Quote from: screenexile on September 24, 2007, 02:19:09 PM

Avril Lavigne
Pamela Anderson    
Romeo Dallaire    
Shania Twain    
Nelly Furtado    
Estella Warren         
Sum41         
Shannon Tweed         
Barenakedladies    
Keanu Reeves     
Celine Dion         
Alanis Morissette     
Peter North    
Bryan Adams
Neil Young    
Jim Carrey    
Natasha Henstridge    
Jennifer Tilly         
Sarah McLachlan         
Leonard Cohen    
Kristin Kreuk
Screenexile ;D

No William Shatner?!!!  :o

deiseach

Quote from: tram on September 24, 2007, 05:42:10 PMThe question about Belgium splitting would be would the French and Flemish halves (not to mention the tiny German speaking zone) just simply go on their own or would they seek to integrate with France & the Netherlands?

I knew a very nationalistic Fleming in college who said Wallonia would go in with France while Flanders would stay independent rather than throw in their lot with the godless Calvinists.

Just one point of view.