Are we all cheering for England today?

Started by thewobbler, December 02, 2010, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

London mayor cancels FIFA Olympic freebie

London - The fall-out to England's defeat in the race to host the 2018 World Cup continued on Sunday as London mayor Boris Johnson withdrew an offer of free hotel rooms for FIFA executives during the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Johnson had agreed to put up FIFA president Joseph Blatter and other officials at the exclusive Dorchester Hotel, but after Thursday's decision to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia, the offer has been rescinded.

The mayor is understood to have discussed the issue with the London Olympic organizing committee chairman Sebastian Coe, but he has not commented on the decision.

Johnson, who was in Zurich to help with last-minute lobbying, said the result was a "big blow and tremendously disappointing".

The withdrawal of the offer, whose initial justification - from a bid that prided itself on not offering inducements - remains unclear, is part of a general backlash in England against FIFA.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/356680,cancels-fifa-olympic-freebie.html

Half expecting these guys to turn up at every match in 2018 and take the ball home with them!

J OGorman

gutted England didnt get it...I'm getting no younger and it would have been nice to have had the tournament next door.

anti-english bias aside from a lot of folk, anyone who thinks that Sepp Blatter's FIFA is NOT corrupt, isnt wise. Would love to know what the crooked hooer made personally out of this. The man is anti-football

ziggysego

Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 06, 2010, 12:02:23 AM

London - The fall-out to England's defeat in the race to host the 2018 World Cup continued on Sunday as London mayor Boris Johnson withdrew an offer of free hotel rooms for FIFA executives during the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Johnson had agreed to put up FIFA president Joseph Blatter and other officials at the exclusive Dorchester Hotel, but after Thursday's decision to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia, the offer has been rescinded.

The mayor is understood to have discussed the issue with the London Olympic organizing committee chairman Sebastian Coe, but he has not commented on the decision.

Johnson, who was in Zurich to help with last-minute lobbying, said the result was a "big blow and tremendously disappointing".

The withdrawal of the offer, whose initial justification - from a bid that prided itself on not offering inducements - remains unclear, is part of a general backlash in England against FIFA.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/356680,cancels-fifa-olympic-freebie.html

Half expecting these guys to turn up at every match in 2018 and take the ball home with them!

Spoilt brats.
Testing Accessibility

delboy

Quote from: J OGorman on December 06, 2010, 11:42:55 AM
gutted England didnt get it...I'm getting no younger and it would have been nice to have had the tournament next door.

anti-english bias aside from a lot of folk, anyone who thinks that Sepp Blatter's FIFA is NOT corrupt, isnt wise. Would love to know what the crooked hooer made personally out of this. The man is anti-football

Well said, as for blatter he got what he wanted, to hold onto the reigns for a bit longer, Qatar winning the bid means he won't be apposed for the top dog role by the chappy from Qatar (the one that looks like the undertakers side kick). Its fair enough i guess for those on here who aren't bothered about football/soccer (its a gaa board after all ) having a chuckle at how the sport is run but for those that actually do care about the sport i can think of funnier things than seeing the ruling organisation behaving like a bunch of corrupt tossers whose sole aim is to hold onto power at all costs so the gravity train can continue unabated.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: delboy on December 06, 2010, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on December 06, 2010, 11:42:55 AM

Well said, as for blatter he got what he wanted, to hold onto the reigns for a bit longer, Qatar winning the bid means he won't be apposed for the top dog role by the chappy from Qatar (the one that looks like the undertakers side kick). Its fair enough i guess for those on here who aren't bothered about football/soccer (its a gaa board after all ) having a chuckle at how the sport is run but for those that actually do care about the sport i can think of funnier things than seeing the ruling organisation behaving like a bunch of corrupt t**sers whose sole aim is to hold onto power at all costs so the gravity train can continue unabated.

True enough. Thank God our governments don't behave like that!

Capt Pat

Just another indication of why the English bid may have failed. Using Boris Johnson to campaign for it? He may have made a number of appearances on Have I got news for you, but I doubt they see much of that in Ecuador and Japan. He got elected Mayor of London becayse nobody liked Red Ken any more.

Withdrawing their bribes after tge event has happened hardly convinces me that FIFA is more corrupt. The Englis government failed to invite me to an event too once and it only demonstrates their own corruptio. Bizarre behaviour in both cases. They should take the olympics away from the corrupt bastards as well.

Did it not occur to any one that the English might have used up all their lives and favours securing the olympics from under the noses of their neighbours the French. The Olympics in 2012 and the world cup final in 2018, you can't have it all.

delboy

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 06, 2010, 07:51:45 PM

Just another indication of why the English bid may have failed. Using Boris Johnson to campaign for it? He may have made a number of appearances on Have I got news for you, but I doubt they see much of that in Ecuador and Japan. He got elected Mayor of London becayse nobody liked Red Ken any more.

Withdrawing their bribes after tge event has happened hardly convinces me that FIFA is more corrupt. The Englis government failed to invite me to an event too once and it only demonstrates their own corruptio. Bizarre behaviour in both cases. They should take the olympics away from the corrupt b**tards as well.

Did it not occur to any one that the English might have used up all their lives and favours securing the olympics from under the noses of their neighbours the French. The Olympics in 2012 and the world cup final in 2018, you can't have it all.

I think you'll find the french sporting media had a lot of sympathy for the english on this one, they recognosed the english bid as the one with probably the most merit, they are also obviously concerned that the world cup would now appear to be a travelling bandwagon these days looking for some place it hasn't been before, not exactly good for french prospects or for that matter any of the other big european countries that largely bankroll it hosting it in the future.

ross4life

Ian Holloway take on Sepp Blatter moving the 2022 Qatar World Cup to the winter.

Quote:
Holloway was also bitterly opposed, saying: "It's gone crazy - I think the world has gone completely on its head.

"We'll just change everything because their weather is really hot.

"What happens to our football and everybody else's that would be playing through it? Do we just stop for a while? Genius, absolutely magnificent.

"I'm going to go home and tell my turkeys 'It's not Christmas, we're moving it - it's all right, you've got some respite! I've had a word with FIFA and we're going to move Christmas, it's no problem'."
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

crossdoesitbest

Quote from: ross4life on December 17, 2010, 07:06:10 PM
Ian Holloway take on Sepp Blatter moving the 2022 Qatar World Cup to the winter.

Quote:
Holloway was also bitterly opposed, saying: "It's gone crazy - I think the world has gone completely on its head.

"We'll just change everything because their weather is really hot.

"What happens to our football and everybody else's that would be playing through it? Do we just stop for a while? Genius, absolutely magnificent.

"I'm going to go home and tell my turkeys 'It's not Christmas, we're moving it - it's all right, you've got some respite! I've had a word with FIFA and we're going to move Christmas, it's no problem'."

Everytime this clown speaks it's great entertainment, but sometimes and not very often there are a few home truths in it!