Are we all cheering for England today?

Started by thewobbler, December 02, 2010, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: tommysmith on December 03, 2010, 06:34:46 PM
Yeah and everyone loves the russians  ::)

I Love Russian female tennis players  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Main Street

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 03, 2010, 06:26:04 PM
Only one other country voted for England. 

What it suggests to me is that no one likes England so it is a personal choice not a corrupt one. 

Wasn't Jack Warner (that upstanding honest chap)  supposed to be in bed with the English bid?  Maybe Russia had the best bid, certainly they had a very good presentation of their bid.

Capt Pat

If England want fair play maybe they should start by not voting for themselves. At least in the eurovision, you can't vote for yourself like England did.

The other vote that England got was from one ofthe people, they accused of corruption. So in conclusion, maybe England should give up the old paranoid everybody else is corrupt attitude and realise people just don't like them. Give the 6 counties back to Ireland, give Gibraltar back to Spain, give the Falklands back to Argentina. Then they might have a chance of winning an international popularity contest.

ross4life

Judging the way voting is done i think we should throw our name into the hat for 2030! sure enough we don't have the transport,accommodation & pitches to hold a world cup but.. everyone knows Ireland is great craic which should secure plenty of votes  :P
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tommysmith

Aaron Boone

The madness is England gettin 2 votes, not Russia winnin it. Russia was always 2nd fav all the way.

Minder

Quote from: Aaron Boone on December 03, 2010, 10:58:07 PM
The madness is England gettin 2 votes, not Russia winnin it. Russia was always 2nd fav all the way.

I saw odds a couple of days before it and Russia were 8/11 favourites. The English obviously started piling money onto the English bid close to the announcement, hence the 1/2 with the English bookies.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

armaghniac

QuoteWhat it suggests to me is that no one likes England so it is a personal choice not a corrupt one.

I'm not a great admirer of England, but a personal choice could be a corrupt one. Corrupt in the obvious way but also corrupt in the sense that someone might rule out a venue that was suitable on the basis of personal predjudice. Russia is not a totally ridiculous choice, but Qatar is.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyroneboi

Its pretty depressing to think that by the time Qatar host the 2022 World Cup I will be 40!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: paco on December 03, 2010, 05:41:09 PM
Anyone see Roy Keane's interview? Thought it was great, he evidently didn't give a f**k but they kept on asking him about it and insinuating corruption and all the rest, "nobody died...get over it" :D

This coming from the man who completely over reacted to the training pitch being a bit bumpy in Saipan! Nobody died then either Roy! He's making a pigs ear out the job at Ipswich Town, nobody is dying but it doesn't mean people aren't concerned!  Keane is turning into a bigger joke every time he opens his mouth!
That was never a square ball!!

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

David McKeown

As someone touched on there I don't think the FA could have selected a worse choice of representatives to support the bid. FIFA hates government involvement with FA's so who do England send but their head of government and their future head of state as well as a player who became soo famous he pissed off the top brass for most of his career. As I said earlier too the Qatar bid looked very very impressive and drew rave reviews for the mini replica stadia they constructed for the technical assessment.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 04, 2010, 08:40:37 AM
Quote from: paco on December 03, 2010, 05:41:09 PM
Anyone see Roy Keane's interview? Thought it was great, he evidently didn't give a f**k but they kept on asking him about it and insinuating corruption and all the rest, "nobody died...get over it" :D

This coming from the man who completely over reacted to the training pitch being a bit bumpy in Saipan! Nobody died then either Roy! He's making a pigs ear out the job at Ipswich Town, nobody is dying but it doesn't mean people aren't concerned!  Keane is turning into a bigger joke every time he opens his mouth!

You are right! We should take to the streets immediately and protest all day every day until this horrific injustice is corrected. If there is a God, Bhudda and an Allah England should host the 2018 World Cup and we should be venting every electron of our collective existences' anger at FIFA.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017