The price of Alcohol

Started by illdecide, March 16, 2010, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lecale2 on April 09, 2010, 11:04:10 PM
It's dead. In 5 years the Irish public house won't exist.
[/quote
dunno
our local has had a revival this past year or so
was dead for a couple of years but now is full to the brim again thurs- sunday (when a few years ago t was less than half full these nights)
people no longer saving for overseas properties - now back to drinking the money like we did in the 80's/90's !

Minder

8 pint bottles of Bulmers for £5 in Tescos. You couldn't really do better than that.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

fitzroyalty

Doogie Browser

fitzroyalty

delboy

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 20, 2010, 05:22:58 PM
The English shite?

Sure they're both pants, you have to chill them down to make them palatable.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 09, 2010, 07:42:04 PM
how much profits would publicans have on drink? I remember hearing before but I can't remember exactly how much, it was a lot!!

Can not be determined easily, there are too many factors. For example take a 700mls bottle of Smirnoff.

Current price €135 for a case of 12 =  €9.29 per bottle (plus Vat)
There are 19.72 shots in the bottle(half ones) so each shot is sold for €4 which is actually €3.31 plus vat.

3.31 x 19.7 = €65.20  - €9.29 = profit of €55.91

That is the easy bit.  The hard bit is did the publican have to send someone to the wholesalers to collect it and when he came back who was standing on his pub floor?  Was it:
(a) A customer?
(b) A Rates man looking for €40,000 euro.
(c) A Council representative looking for a cheque for 45,000 for water rates?
(d) Some Asshole from a Brit owned company called IMRO looking for 3,000 because he has music on?
(e) A staff member looking for holiday pay and three month maternity leave to go with it.
(f) The gas man, the ESB man, the TV Lisence man, The Sky TV man and so on and on.
How many staff has he to pay, etc, etc.   
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Tony Baloney

Maguire01

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2010, 02:03:45 PM
how much profits would publicans have on drink? I remember hearing before but I can't remember exactly how much, it was a lot!!

Can not be determined easily, there are too many factors. For example take a 700mls bottle of Smirnoff.

There are 19.72 shots in the bottle(half ones) so each shot is sold for €4 which is actually €3.31 plus vat.

That is the easy bit.  The hard bit is did the publican have to send someone to the wholesalers to collect it and when he came back who was standing on his pub floor?  Was it:
(a) A customer?
(d) Some Asshole from a Brit owned company called IMRO looking for 3,000 because he has music on?
(e) A staff member looking for holiday pay and three month maternity leave to go with it.
(f) The gas man, the ESB man, the TV Lisence man, The Sky TV man and so on and on.
Is that any less a legitimate cost than any of the rest of them?

fitzroyalty

Right i don't drink cider, and always get confused with this stuff but I know Magners is usually a safe bet to have when you've visitors round.
So when I asked, what I meant was is it this what he was on about:

or this:

As I believe the one above is the same as this:

Does that make sense?

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 21, 2010, 02:17:21 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2010, 02:03:45 PM

(a) A customer?
Is that any less a legitimate cost than any of the rest of them?

It is a lot less and a disgrace and I would bunch them into the same group as wheel clampers. Tell me what Irish Musician that you know that plays in a local pub that has ever got a cheque from them.  If you were down in Ventry or Waterville in the furthest end of Kerry trying to keep your pub open and you are barely able to do that and a gobshite walks in and hands you a High Court Notice that you now have to defend it is different.  Water Rates and Rates and ESB charges and even wages are decided on in a democratic way.  These boys are nothing short of henchmen and to walk into a small pub that is playing a wireless and demand the fees they are seeking is a disgrace, particularly given the reasons they use to collect it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 21, 2010, 02:18:48 PM
Right i don't drink cider, and always get confused with this stuff but I know Magners is usually a safe bet to have when you've visitors round.
So when I asked, what I meant was is it this what he was on about:

or this:

As I believe the one above is the same as this:

Does that make sense?
Aye sort of. Not sure which is on sale in Tesco's but I'm sure it is as good as Magners/Bulmers. At 8 for a fiver I'll be having some and I'll let you know how I get on  ;)

Bud Wiser

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2010, 02:44:07 PM
Any of this stuff around?

plenty of it if you know where to look, and very good quality too.

magpie seanie

Met a local publican in the alcohol section of Dunnes last evening. He was amazed at how cheap some of the gargle was. Cheaper than the wholesalers.

Got a dozen Tiger for €12.