The price of Alcohol

Started by illdecide, March 16, 2010, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuoteGot a dozen Tiger for €12.
I went into the four tits today ie, theTwo Sisters on Cypruss Grove Road and they had a big blackboard up saying "Special"  "Bottle of Tiger €5"  and then like a complete dick I handed over €5 for a bottle of Heineken.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 21, 2010, 03:15:50 PM
Met a local publican in the alcohol section of Dunnes last evening. He was amazed at how cheap some of the gargle was. Cheaper than the wholesalers.

Got a dozen Tiger for €12.

I know a fella who sells it wholesale tp pubs and off licences, he can't match Dunnes.

They would be selling it at cost or even taken a small hit on it to draw the shoppers in. I rang the man who runs the local centra at home last year and was pricing the whickeys and brandys for customer gifts and he told me he'd have to charge for wrapping it as they have it priced at cost to compete with the north and bigger supermarkets. In the end he said to get elsewhere if i could get it cheaper, as he didn't mind not shifting the stock till after christmas when the prices might rise.

Maguire01

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2010, 02:26:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 21, 2010, 02:17:21 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2010, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 09, 2010, 07:42:04 PM
how much profits would publicans have on drink? I remember hearing before but I can't remember exactly how much, it was a lot!!

Can not be determined easily, there are too many factors. For example take a 700mls bottle of Smirnoff.

Current price €135 for a case of 12 =  €9.29 per bottle (plus Vat)
There are 19.72 shots in the bottle(half ones) so each shot is sold for €4 which is actually €3.31 plus vat.

3.31 x 19.7 = €65.20  - €9.29 = profit of €55.91

That is the easy bit.  The hard bit is did the publican have to send someone to the wholesalers to collect it and when he came back who was standing on his pub floor?  Was it:
(a) A customer?
(b) A Rates man looking for €40,000 euro.
(c) A Council representative looking for a cheque for 45,000 for water rates?
(d) Some Asshole from a Brit owned company called IMRO looking for 3,000 because he has music on?
(e) A staff member looking for holiday pay and three month maternity leave to go with it.
(f) The gas man, the ESB man, the TV Lisence man, The Sky TV man and so on and on.
How many staff has he to pay, etc, etc.
Is that any less a legitimate cost than any of the rest of them?

It is a lot less and a disgrace and I would bunch them into the same group as wheel clampers. Tell me what Irish Musician that you know that plays in a local pub that has ever got a cheque from them. 
It's not about the musician who plays in the local pub. It's for music under copyright. It's public performance royalties. It's one of the ways in which such musicians earn a living.

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2010, 02:26:14 PM
If you were down in Ventry or Waterville in the furthest end of Kerry trying to keep your pub open and you are barely able to do that and a gobshite walks in and hands you a High Court Notice that you now have to defend it is different.  Water Rates and Rates and ESB charges and even wages are decided on in a democratic way.  These boys are nothing short of henchmen and to walk into a small pub that is playing a wireless and demand the fees they are seeking is a disgrace, particularly given the reasons they use to collect it.
IMRO itself is a 'not for profit' organisation. I'm not sure what you mean by "the reasons the use to collect it".
(And for the record, a quick google would indicate that a small pub in the country would pay maybe a couple of hundred euro rather than the €3k quotes above)

Canalman

E15 for 20 bottles of Heineken at Tescos if you are so interested. Same for Miller I think.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Got 54 bottles of Stella in Tescos for £20 there last week - best deal for alcohol I've ever come across.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magpie seanie

Quote from: Canalman on December 21, 2010, 03:58:04 PM
E15 for 20 bottles of Heineken at Tescos if you are so interested. Same for Miller I think.

Yeah, several of the big name lagers (Bud, Miller, Carslberg - not sure about 'ken) were 75c/bottle (cases were in different sizes). some of the bottles were 300ml, Miller were 330ml.

Aaron Boone

Big value in spirits also, Smirnoff vodka now down to the price Huzzar was earlier in the year.

The Worker

30 fosters tinnies for £14 in sainsburys

Minder

Nobody on yet railing against this cheap mass produced detergent, and how they discovered a lovely beer that is brewed in the foothills of the Andes?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyssam5

Quote from: Minder on December 21, 2010, 06:11:17 PM
Nobody on yet railing against this cheap mass produced detergent, and how they discovered a lovely beer that is brewed in the foothills of the Andes?

I'll give you this one in the foothills of the Oregon Coast range if it will keep you happy. Tasty stuff, all about the 'pacman' yeast strain   ;D
http://www.rogue.com/beers/beers.php

Tony Baloney

There's a recession on! I have stocked up on Guinness, Bud and Bulmers which have all been heavily discounted. Bottles of beer at 2 quid a pop are not on the radar.

magpie seanie

I figure you have 2 or 3 nice beers and then it doesn't really matter what shite you're drinking!

The Worker

Anyone here brew their own beer?

Puckoon

Picked up 24 miller lite, 12 heinken, 12 cans of draught guinness, a bottle of baileys, 6 bottles of tonic and 3, 2 liter bottles of barefoot pinot grigio for 75$ on friday. Not even competitive pricing, but not that expensive either.

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on December 21, 2010, 06:42:52 PM
Picked up 24 miller lite, 12 heinken, 12 cans of draught guinness, a bottle of baileys, 6 bottles of tonic and 3, 2 liter bottles of barefoot pinot grigio for 75$ on friday. Not even competitive pricing, but not that expensive either.

Picked up a Polish hooker on Friday.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"