General Election 2016

Started by Declan, January 14, 2016, 02:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I entered my town, Newport, and I could select Newport, TIpperary from a drop down list. When I did so it says 'Your constituency is Tipperary' , shows a few thumbnails of the candidates running, and a big blue box that says 'Compare All Candidates'.

Click on that, and all the questions come up.

magpie seanie

That's the problem Mine says:

Your Constituency is:

Candidates running in your constituency:

Nothing.

Declan

Maybe Sligo has seceded Seanie!!!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2016, 04:33:17 PM

Your Constituency is:

Nothing.

I put in Manorhamilton, and is says my constituency is Sligo Leitrim, and lists 11 candidates.

macdanger2

Good website for gathering info, would be interested to know what they do with it

I agree that there's a decent chance of more than one election this year

The Subbie

Maguire01

These things are a bit of a crude indicator. They don't weight the issues in terms of importance to the individual voter. You can be matched with a candidate or party with whom you agree on a lot of all issues, but differ on the two or three that really matter to you.

It also fails to take into account the voter's opinion of whether they would trust the candidates' policy positions, or believe in their ability to deliver them.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 14, 2016, 08:18:25 PM
It also fails to take into account the voter's opinion of whether they would trust the candidates' policy positions, or believe in their ability to deliver them.

That's FG fooked then.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Rossfan

I see the EU/ECB has fired a warning shot at whoever the next Govt will be.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on January 14, 2016, 08:42:07 PM

That's FG fooked then.
And we can trust and rely on... ?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2016, 04:33:17 PM

Your Constituency is:

Nothing.
Had that problem too, but when I put in my Dublin address it worked ok. Not sure why they haven't it working but you imagine it should be sorted soon.

Did that yesterday, got FF by a distance from the greens and I think SF, though all ratings were low enough. Looking at the comparisons section it seems FG haven't really answered many of the questions either way which might explain their low standing with everyone. But as said above its not got the detailed element that similar tests for British/US politics had.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 14, 2016, 09:26:16 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on January 14, 2016, 08:42:07 PM

That's FG fooked then.
And we can trust and rely on... ?

Good question. Maybe the folk on here can make a case for honest candidates in their constituency who are worth a vote (and mean what they say)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Declan on January 14, 2016, 04:47:12 PM
It was necessary in order to ensure the existence of proper border controls with Roscommon in fairness.

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 14, 2016, 09:41:14 PM
It was necessary in order to ensure the existence of proper border controls with Roscommon in fairness.
As if any of us would want to willingly cross the Curlieus to Ireland's answer to Belarus :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2016, 11:33:28 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 14, 2016, 09:41:14 PM
As if any of us would want to willingly cross the Curlieus to Ireland's answer to Belarus :P
As opposed to your Ukraine. Same colours and bigger and more powerful neighbours occupying some of its territory.