General Election 2016

Started by Declan, January 14, 2016, 02:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Ah come on, Esmarelda. You can do better than that. Posters/billboards like the one in question are red meat for the activists. I doubt they would influence more than a handful of posters, and even that handful will be offset by FF:

The game is the game.

Esmarelda

I never said it influenced anyone.

My point is that FG can criticise what FF did despite the fact that they backed many of their decisions. They can do this publicly in full confidence that the general public won't make the point Vincent Browne made.

If VB's point was being thrown at them in every interview they gave or at many doorsteps while canvassing then they'd think twice about the line of marketing they take on.

It's not so they're free to continue with it.

I understand it's a game, I'm just pointing something out.

deiseach

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on January 19, 2016, 02:42:08 PM

My point is that FG can criticise what FF did despite the fact that they backed many of their decisions. They can do this publicly in full confidence that the general public won't make the point Vincent Browne made.

If VB's point was being thrown at them in every interview they gave or at many doorsteps while canvassing then they'd think twice about the line of marketing they take on.

Not so sure about that. I think it's widely known that FG backed, and implemented, practically every decision FF made in this area. Also it's known that FG were promising to out do McCreevey back in the day, and criticised him for not doing enough to encourage buyers, cut taxes etc.

The veneer of them being more financially responsible is just that.

Ask yourself this. If the roles had been reversed, would FG have done anything differently that FF? And would FF have done anything differently than FG?

I doubt it, because they are both almost exactly the same, and are only differentiated by the historical colour of their shirts.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2016, 03:02:00 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on January 19, 2016, 02:42:08 PM

Not so sure about that. I think it's widely known that FG backed, and implemented, practically every decision FF made in this area. Also it's known that FG were promising to out do McCreevey back in the day, and criticised him for not doing enough to encourage buyers, cut taxes etc.

The veneer of them being more financially responsible is just that.

Ask yourself this. If the roles had been reversed, would FG have done anything differently that FF? And would FF have done anything differently than FG?

I doubt it, because they are both almost exactly the same, and are only differentiated by the historical colour of their shirts.
But we subsequently put them in government?

Are you suggesting that the electorate quietly acknowledge the fact but still vote them in?

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie