Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

QuoteI said earlier in this thread that "Its only the fcukin McKenna Cup" and now some people on here are talking about the absence of our best player being the reason for a couple of good results agianst a bunch of students and a couple of reserve teams and they are talking about doing without him....for fcuk sake lads wise up.

At last, someone in touch with reality.  

It's great to see us heading in the right direction but some of the stuff posted on the last couple of pages is unreal.

western exile

My estimation of Ross has gone up after reading that article.  Keep up the good work Ross!

Blue Island

Last page of argument about Coulter is frankly ridiculous. Anybody who argues the team is better without him is on another planet. The only issue I see with Coulter is that he suffers from the same problem that John Clarke has been made to suffer up intil this year. That is, he is being forced to play out of position. Full forward is fair enough on the odd occasion, but he would do the same scoring damage from further out the field and would be much more involved.

With regards McHugh's rant. Much rather be from a county that is down in the dumps for a time, but with a proud history, than a county who is second only to Mayo for displaying an inherent ability to choke.

stpauls

i am not a Down man, far from it, but Martin McHugh is making a real dick of himself and it looks like he does not have a clue what he is talking about!!

thewobbler

Lads, let's be fair. Nobody was saying anything any different when McHugh made those comments, i.e. after the Tyrone McKenna Cup game.

western exile

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 24, 2008, 12:42:47 PM
From todays Irish News...

Yesterday, McHugh reiterated his stance. He said: "The game is all about opinions. I was very disappointed with Down against a Tyrone third string. They also beat UUJ and Donegal shadow sides. I don't like what I see in Down and I believe they have gone backwards."

But he is still saying it! 

If there is one thing that we all agree on it is that, over the last 3 games the Down players have shown a hunger and commitment for the team and the cause.  Ross is correct. Is is wrong to continue to verbally bash them under those circumstances. Regardless of abiltiy

thewobbler

QuoteYesterday, McHugh reiterated his stance. He said: "The game is all about opinions. I was very disappointed with Down against a Tyrone third string. They also beat UUJ and Donegal shadow sides. I don't like what I see in Down and I believe they have gone backwards."
Sorry, I missed that bit!

Have to disagree with McHugh now. If Doyle, Rogers and Rafferty are all fit and available this season, Down can only be a better team for it. Throw in McComiskey coming of age and that's a third of a new team - all improvements - even before new blood like McArdle, McGovern and Howard. Add to the mix a couple of players actually lining out in their natural positions, which is looking increasingly more like happening, and we're even closer again. 

western exile

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 24, 2008, 12:42:47 PM
From todays Irish News...

Yesterday, McHugh reiterated his stance. He said: "The game is all about opinions. I was very disappointed with Down against a Tyrone third string. They also beat UUJ and Donegal shadow sides. I don't like what I see in Down and I believe they have gone backwards."

Besides what is 'backwards' anyway?  Can you define it Martin? 
Is is something like this...?

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 19, 2008, 09:59:08 PM
Before last Wednesday, Down had won a single game in the previous 20 months. We have now managed two in three days, with another home match at Fortress Esler to come on Tuesday.

Make that 3 in a week Mourne Rover !

If that is 'backwards' Martin, 'forward' is obviously the wrong direction  ;D

lisdoon1

Quote from: Blue Island on January 24, 2008, 01:00:05 PM
Last page of argument about Coulter is frankly ridiculous. Anybody who argues the team is better without him is on another planet. The only issue I see with Coulter is that he suffers from the same problem that John Clarke has been made to suffer up intil this year. That is, he is being forced to play out of position. Full forward is fair enough on the odd occasion, but he would do the same scoring damage from further out the field and would be much more involved.

With regards McHugh's rant. Much rather be from a county that is down in the dumps for a time, but with a proud history, than a county who is second only to Mayo for displaying an inherent ability to choke.

Another planet?? More like "KNOWS FOOK ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL"

T O Hare

lads i hope Ross's comments dont come back to haunt him... pundits love people talking about them.. i mean, lots of peple hate Dunphy, but everyone seems to turn into him to see what he is saying.. this will be water of a ducks back for Martin...
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

western exile

It will of course. Martin McHugh is canny enough to know that no malice was meant by Ross' comments. And he will also recognise that he forced Ross into making a stand.  A good manager needs to keep his team positive and focused with moral high.  His job is made harder when the media bandwagon publish the opposite sermon to that which he preaches to his team.  (the players read papers, and watch TV too you know!) .  So he had to nip negativity in the bud before it spread like wildfire through the land.  Congratulations to Ross on doing just that.  And I am sure, upon reflection, Martin will realise that too.   8)

Fíor Gael

Quote from: western exile on January 24, 2008, 03:23:31 PM

It will of course. Martin McHugh is canny enough to know that no malice was meant by Ross' comments. And he will also recognise that he forced Ross into making a stand.  A good manager needs to keep his team positive and focused with moral high.  His job is made harder when the media bandwagon publish the opposite sermon to that which he preaches to his team.  (the players read papers, and watch TV too you know!) .  So he had to nip negativity in the bud before it spread like wildfire through the land.  Congratulations to Ross on doing just that.  And I am sure, upon reflection, Martin will realise that too.   8)

Thanks for clarifying that Western aka Ross  ;D ;D

western exile

;D ;D ;D  I am not worthy to lace the man's boots!   8)

islandboy

benny is lethal and is the best forward in down. he is the one who you fear when he gets the ball and was the difference in the championship final. he is the difference between mayobridge and the rest of the teams in division 1. at county level he has been superb. last year was not his best year but his high standards cant be reached on every occassion. for ireland he is class and anybody suggesting the team is better without him doesn't know whether a football is blew up or stuffed! idiots

Maiden1

Benny Coulter is downs best player and has too many to count important scores with Down and Mayobridge over the years, If Benny plays well and the others round him don't that is not his fault.  It is up to the other players to step up to the mark and take responsibility with or without Benny on the team, not kick the ball to Benny and then stand back and wait.  Could be interesting playing John Clarke in full forward and Benny in the corner, it could give Benny more freedom to take a man on like Mickey Linden before him instead of always having to be the target man and play with his back to goal.

With regard to Martin McHugh he is just another Dunphy, always trying to be controversial.  He has been saying for the last 3 years how over-rated Kerry are.  Eventually someone will beat them and he will claim to be right all along.
There are no proofs, only opinions.