Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 18, 2008, 11:42:38 PM
Dundrumite, the vast majority of Down clubs tend to be based on strong family connections down the generations. Bredagh would be among a handful which have a transient character, with people constantly moving in and moving out of the area. No one really wants to play their football in division four, where the overall standard is well behind reserve level at the main clubs and some fixtures are less than serious . If a number of players who have lived in the parish for some time help Bredagh or any other club to get a promotion or possibly two, and raise their game along the way, is that a threat or an opportunity ?

Agree 100% with you.  Because of our geography, our club has Armagh, Tyrone, Antrim, Derry, Fermanagh, Dublin and Leitrim folk as members as well as plenty who where members of other in Down such as Clonduff, Laitroim, Tullylish and Loughinisland.  People come and go from our parish due to work comittments on a yearly basis, but the core of GAA people in the Holywood/Bangor/Ards area remains. 

We have played through years of sectarian threat in a hostile loyalist area, and we are now seeing the benefits of struggling through those many tough years.  Our senior team is far from great, and we where lucky to remain in Division 3 last year, but Division 4 is a joke and no club can look to build whilst their senior team is in it.  We hope that our years of being the butt of jokes in this County are coming to an end, we have facilities an a par with most in this county and better than some, and we are putting lots of hard work and resources into our juvenile sytem as we know that that is the only way we are going to get success on the park.  Its a long term plan, but we hope that in 10 years time, we may have a team in the Down Senior Football championship for the first time.

dundrumite

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 18, 2008, 11:42:38 PM
Dundrumite, the vast majority of Down clubs tend to be based on strong family connections down the generations. Bredagh would be among a handful which have a transient character, with people constantly moving in and moving out of the area. No one really wants to play their football in division four, where the overall standard is well behind reserve level at the main clubs and some fixtures are less than serious . If a number of players who have lived in the parish for some time help Bredagh or any other club to get a promotion or possibly two, and raise their game along the way, is that a threat or an opportunity ?

I think its somewhere between the two.Although im basing my opinion as an outsider with no real indepth knowledge of Bredagh, apart from playing them two or three times a season. It seems to me that most the players on the Bredagh team are those in the later stages of their career whom have moved to the area,perhaps hindering their late teens early 20s age group from getting valuable first team action. Giving more of their youth a shot may be more productive for the long term success of their senior team. There is certainly no reason why these more experienced players cant guide the younger "home grown" players if you will, in the right direction.I certainly know from playing Bredagh at underage they have/had some terrific underage players . However, again as an outsider im ignorant in this respect, there may be numerous reason other than the one i mentioned in my previous post as too why these lads arent playing anymore? Im far from knocking the likes of Bredagh, St Pauls and Carryduff im just wondering if my perception is an accurate one?  Although I see both Bredagh and Carryduff have have now a thirds team on the go so their certainly growing and moving in the right direction.  

pearses

[quote ]
On a similar note, what are the bredagh posters opinions on the number of non-Bredagh lads on their starting team? I know of a few Bredagh lads whom came through the underage system who have jacked gaelic in, because they felt they were being given a fair crack of the whip at senior level.

[/quote]

dundrumite, I dont think is a fair assessment of the way the bredagh team is run - although I am a blow in myself so maybe not in the best position to judge.  I joined when I was 20 and am in my 4th season now, our captian joined at the same time and he was 21 so its not just old fellas joining.  There is a serious amount of talent coming through the bredagh underage set up, it just hasn't all filtered through to senior level yet, but it will soon and they will learn from the older palyers on the team who have played different styles of football in different counties.  I can't honestly think of any young players who came to training week in week out and never got a chance - Paddy Heaney started 5 minors in our championship game against carryduff and they all performed brilliantly.

never kickt a ball

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Final Tables   

Section A    Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Derry   3   3   0   0   6   46   28   1.400
Fermanagh   3   2   0   1   4    43   37   1.162
St Mary's   3   0   1   2   1   41   52   0.788
Armagh   3   2   1   2   1    29   42   0.690

Section B   Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Down   2   1   0   1   4    57   42  1.357
UUJ   2   2   0   0  4   46   42   1.095
Tyrone   3   1   0   2  2   34   34   1.000
Donegal   3   1   0   2   2     27   30  0.900

Section C     Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Cavan   3   1   0   1   4   40   33   1.212
QUB   3   2   0   0   4     37   39   0.948
Monaghan   3   1   0   2   2     36   32  1.125
Antrim   3   1   0   2  2   31   40   0.755

Semi Finals

The first semi-final is on Tuesday at Newry on Tuesday, 22 January when Cavan play Down at 2000GMT.

On Wednesday Derry face Fermanagh at Omagh (2000GMT).

Caitlin

Liam Doyle = Rolls Royce
Ronan Sexton and Kevin Mc Kernan good also.
Mc Govern and Cole had good games although Mark Lynch and Andy Moran were better.
John Clarke seems to have improved his kicking technique- the Collingwood influence ?Beat you to it Rover og.
The stand is worth at least 3 points, gets the crowd behind the players, and that 3 points will be the difference on Tuesday night.

T O Hare

down are flying at the minute! some great performances. thought  ciaran mc govern played brilliantly but he could be caught out for high balls due to his height.. doyle is very solid.. seems to know were to be.. we need to dominate midfield more and our forwards need to be willing to shoot more often.
newry is a great place to watch a match.. a great buzz in the stand.. though for a prunty pitch i feel that the field should be upholding a bit
better... i know that there has been a lot of rain but their has been virtaully no football played on it.. i would love to know what state the saval pitch is in at the minute
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mourne Rover

We should not get ahead of ourselves, as UUJ missed two virtual open goals at crucial stages in the second half which would have cost us the match. Their corner forward (Moran ?) went round our keeper, McVeigh, but shot just over from an angle, and when McVeigh made a good save against the crossbar, a UUJ forward punched to an empty net but again it went just over the bar.

However, it was still a generally impressive Down performance against a fit and well organised side who were in a completely different league to Donegal last Wednesday. We were under a lost more pressure at the back, and McArdle found the going much tougher at full back, but both corner backs did well. McVeigh was also sound and his kick-outs were excellent.

The star of the show was undoubtedly Doyle. It's a little hard to believe that some people on this board were writing him off a matter of weeks ago, and even harder to understand why Paddy kept him up front and refused to give him even a single run in what now appears is obviously his best position at CHB. He was majestic tonight, winning the ball, carrying it confidently out of defence and picking out his forwards with kicked, chest-high passes on both wings. If he stays fit, he will be one of our key men this year.

McGuigan took his goal brilliantly, but is still better going forward than defending, while O'Hanlon was steady enough and took a fine point. Midfield was more of a concern, as Dan was in and out and Jackie never got going. Turley improved us considerably by doing the simple things well.

McKernan had a fine game, although he will have to learn how to tackle without fouling, while Fegan worked hard without entirely convincing. Hughes also covered a huge amount of ground and showed great pace but still takes the odd wrong option and probably needs others to win the ball for him.

McAreavey and Magee mostly struggled, but Sexton was excellent throughout. Clarke was outstanding during his brief period and took his points from distance in the way his manager used to. It is fairly clear that he has also been used in the wrong positions in the past.

Before last Wednesday, Down had won a single game in the previous 20 months. We have now managed two in three days, with another home match at Fortress Esler to come on Tuesday. It is only the McKenna Cup but I can't wait.

never kickt a ball

If you ask me I think Carr was keeping his cards close to his chest in Omagh. He probably didn't want to give anything away with the championship game on the horizon. I think you will beat Cavan and then meet Derry in the final. Mind you I'm often wrong.

topgun

im afraid i am going to have to burst ur bubble but its only the mckenna cup, i would love to see down becoming a force again but dont get carried away with a few decent results in january, as i am readin from the posts here on this thread apparently there are a no of positions up for grabs. IMO Bernard Connell should be given the time to grow into the role as Downs no 1 Mikey McVeigh was a great great goalkeeper and Bernard Connell can be the same given the chance he deserves.
a prophet is not recognised by his own

amallon

You got to be happy with what we saw tongiht.  I know its only January and its only the McKenna cup but a win is a win.  This last week and been a real shot in the arm for Down football, and there is a real air of optimisim about the county at the minute. Long may it continue. 

McVeigh looks a better keeper than Connelll, but Connell should get another chance.  I'd like to see Alder  get a go as well because I haven't seen much of him and a lot of people are raving about him.  McAreevey was found out tonight against a stronger defence but IMHO deserves another shot at it.  Cathal Magee upped his performance from Wednesday night but this may be a level too high too early for my club mate,  Him and Downy seem to be the same player.  John Fegan impressed again.  The defence swept up lots of ball and seem to have loads of pace about them.  Jackie Lynch had a much quieter game, Gordan too.  John Clarke is a forward, and proved this to one and all tonight.  The best performance against the Bridge this year was John Clarke in the league semi final when he played FF.  He had a complete stormer that night.  He knows how to put the ball over the bar from distance something which Down really haven't been doing.  Doyler is one cool mother f**ker, never panics and has all the time in the world  on the ball.  I think he has that position nailed.

What is the status on our injured players?  I heard Benny wanted to come on against Donegal but this is only pub talk.  Anyone know what the status of Ambrose and Paul Murphy is?  James Colgan was fit and available for UUJ but wasn't selected tonight???? 

A home game against Cavan is great for us Down supporters.  The marshes under lights is great, brill atmosphere.  A bit of Christy at half time too! Maybe less annoying anouncements would have done.  I only needed to be told once that there was no electric on the point road, I'm a culchie and am used to finding my way home in the dark.  I'm only nit picking now.

Cavan in Newry on Tuesday night will hold no fear.  Did I see some swagger?????
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

southdown

Great win last  night.  As has been said already, its only the McKenna cup but the last few years as a Down fan have been tough so why enjoy two wins on the trot.  And its also great to finish as group winners with tyrone trailing behind!

Defence generally was solid enough, however UUJ got most of their scores from free kicks which is slightly worrying.  Lynch was immense with their free kicks.  McGovern had a great game in the corner and Doyle was very good, I think he has a calming effect on the back six.  O'Hanlon did nothing wrong and scored a point which will do a lot for his confidence.

Midfield was my biggest concern. I can only recall one clean catch at MF in the whole game and that was by Gordon.  Gordon was quiet enough and could have contributed more.  As for Lynch, I just don't think he is good enough despite his fine game against Donegal.  Once Ambrose is fit he will be straight back in there.

Forwards were generally good.  Fegan had a good game and was good from the frees.  McKernan showed well but still needs more time, he has a lot of promise.  Hughes had a bad night, seemed to take the wrong option every time. McAreavy and Magee had nights to forget, Magee fumbled nearly every ball he got, but again he needs more time.  Sexton was quiet enough but still got a few scores.

I think Ross has finally caught on that John Clarke is not a defender and that Doyle is not  forward.  They were both great last night.

I think if we can sort out our full back line we have a team that could surprise Tyrone come C'ship.  Add Coulter, McComiskey and Walsh to that forward line and you can see a real scoring threat.

Looking forward to Tuesday.

thewobbler

Caitlin
QuoteJohn Clarke seems to have improved his kicking technique- the Collingwood influence ?Beat you to it Rover og.
For as long as I can remember John Clarke playing football he has had the most flawless kicking technique - which is why a number of us have been demanding him in the forward line for years.

Some really encouraging stuff from Down last night. In McArdle, Doyle and McGovern there finally appears to be players able to fill our problematic positions. Hey, we're not Kerry yet, but we'll be a whole lot closer to giving the likes of Kerry a game if these boys stay fit and keen. Suddenly I'm not so disillusioned about travelling to Omagh on May.

Fegan and Sexton were very useful among the forwards, but the best bit about the forward line is the players we still have to bring into it.

whyarerefssobad

murtagh needs to calm down should have been sent off last night struck his man in the chest right in front off the ref only got a yellow
always look on the bright side

Uladh

If this thread wasn't so funny it'd be very sad. to see the once great neighbours wetting themselves with excitment in january because most of their championship team were able to beat an unrecognisable donegal and a university side.

swagger indeed.

BRIDGE LAD

Shut up Uladh!

Anyway back to the match, i think there is a lot of people on here criticising young Cathal Magee. You have to remember he's only started TWO games for Down and should be given a chance, this lad has loads of potential and i think Ross and DJ realise this. Some people were saying he should have been taken off sooner, but his link up play was very good, showed some great fielding (His catch on edge of the square) and made some telling runs also! In the first half nearly all the scores came off him! So give him a chance, he will get better!!