Gerry Adams makes British Parliamentary history.

Started by trileacman, January 24, 2011, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2011, 03:51:34 PM
EG'sgeography was never too sound.
Sure he thinks Antrim is in the same Country as London  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Really?

You see, I always thought that Belfast West was a constituency of the House of Commons. You know, the lower chamber of the Parliament of the United Kingdom.

Whereas Louth elects representatives to the Dail, the lower chamber of the Irish  Parliament.

And I know that along with the EU and IMF, the UK recently bought a part-share in your country for £6bn, but that doesn't mean you are a part of the UK.

At least, not unless or until you beg to be re-admitted*.

And we agree**.

* - Snowing in Hell

** - Snowball in Hells chance
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

Antrim and Louth are both in Ireland while London is in England .. look it up on a map  ;D
As for Houses of Commons and Dáils and the likes --- temporary political phenomenons  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2011, 04:10:33 PM
Antrim and Louth are both in Ireland while London is in England .. look it up on a map  ;D
As for Houses of Commons and Dáils and the likes --- temporary political phenomenons :D
Nice try.

Nally Stand

So there we have it lads..... Gerry Adams is most certainly not Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead and Downing St have issued him with an apology for Cameron's claim today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12292896

"In a statement Adams said the claim that he had accepted a crown title was "untrue" and that he had "simply resigned"

"I am an Irish republican," he said.

"I have had no truck whatsoever with these antiquated and quite bizarre aspects of the British parliamentary system."

He described Mr Cameron's announcement as "bizarre" .

"I am sure the burghers of that Manor are as bemused as me," he added.

"I have spoken to the Prime Minister's private secretary today and he has apologised for today's events.

"The onus is on the Westminster parties to call a by-election as soon as possible in the West Belfast constituency."

On Tuesday, the Speaker's Office told the BBC that it was its understanding that Mr Adams had not applied for the crown position and therefore remained an MP."
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Nally Stand

Ceremonial shite like that matters zero to myself but it's just good to know there was no basis to Cameron's claim for the simple fact that it will disappoint the sort of clowns over on politics.ie who have been not far off creaming themselves with excitement at the thought being able to call Gerry Adams the Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

trileacman

I think your wrong there Nally Stand, Adams is indeed the Baliff of Northstead. He has to be to retire from the Commons, its seems Adams hasn't broken with parliamentary tradition and in the eyes of the law it would be seen as such.

"Consistent with long-standing precedent, the Chancellor has taken this as a request to be appointed the Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead and granted the office."
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Banana Man

Quote from: trileacman on January 27, 2011, 04:21:05 PM
I think your wrong there Nally Stand, Adams is indeed the Baliff of Northstead. He has to be to retire from the Commons, its seems Adams hasn't broken with parliamentary tradition and in the eyes of the law it would be seen as such.

"Consistent with long-standing precedent, the Chancellor has taken this as a request to be appointed the Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead and granted the office."

Gerry Adams has not requested to be anything, he has handed in a letter of resignation, however if the chancellor has decided to go ahead and appoint him then that could probably be construed as an infringement of his human rights.

tyssam5

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 26, 2011, 07:34:33 PM
So there we have it lads..... Gerry Adams is most certainly not Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead and Downing St have issued him with an apology for Cameron's claim today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12292896

"In a statement Adams said the claim that he had accepted a crown title was "untrue" and that he had "simply resigned"

"I am an Irish republican," he said.

"I have had no truck whatsoever with these antiquated and quite bizarre aspects of the British parliamentary system."

He described Mr Cameron's announcement as "bizarre" .

"I am sure the burghers of that Manor are as bemused as me," he added.

"I have spoken to the Prime Minister's private secretary today and he has apologised for today's events.

"The onus is on the Westminster parties to call a by-election as soon as possible in the West Belfast constituency."

On Tuesday, the Speaker's Office told the BBC that it was its understanding that Mr Adams had not applied for the crown position and therefore remained an MP."

Clearly spending too much time with Big Ian, he'll be talking about 'the rocky road to Dublin next'!

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on January 27, 2011, 04:27:27 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 27, 2011, 04:21:05 PM

Gerry Adams has not requested to be anything, he has handed in a letter of resignation, however if the chancellor has decided to go ahead and appoint him then that could probably be construed as an infringement of his human rights.
I think Amnesty International have bigger fish to fry. It's an irrelevance. Gerry will ignore it and so should everyone else.

David McKeown

It's been so long since I studied constitutional law that I don't know the answer to this but if you are the holder of one of the offices of profit under the crown does that stop you from being able to contest for a seat in Westminister.  I am asking because with the Dail election potentially coming before the filing date for the Westminister by-election, if Gerry was to loose in Louth which is probably unlikely would he be barred from running for his Westminister until two more MP's retire?

EDIT Nevermind Enoch Powell was re-elected whilst holding the office
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner