Gerry Adams makes British Parliamentary history.

Started by trileacman, January 24, 2011, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Ulick on January 26, 2011, 02:25:41 PM
"Gerry Adams denies he has accepted office of the crown. The only correspondence has been the letter he sent to the speaker."

UTV's Political Editor Ken Reid on Twitter (@KenReid

Bbc reporting the same.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

LeoMc

Quote from: Ulick on January 26, 2011, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 26, 2011, 02:17:22 PM
Iris holds the Stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds. The resigning MP remains in the post until another resigning MP takes their place. She needs 2 to resign before she loses that office. IF Gerry resigend he would need 2 more after him to get that out of that (ceremonial) role.

Do you seriously believe that he applied to take this steward of whatever nonsense?

Did I say that I did?
There are a few otehr options. MPs can also be disqualified from holding their seats if they are made bankrupt, are mentally ill, receive a prison sentence of more than 12 months or become a member of the House of Lords. Don't see any of these happening so he may technically remain an MP whether he fulfils the role or not!!

Hardy

"Gerry Adams denies he has accepted office of the crown. The only correspondence has been the letter he sent to the speaker."

That's good enough for me, based on the rock of credibility that is a Gerry Adams denial. :P

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on January 26, 2011, 02:38:25 PM
That's good enough for me, based on the rock of credibility that is a Gerry Adams denial. :P

Good point  ;D

Ulick

Quote from: LeoMc on January 26, 2011, 02:36:31 PM
Did I say that I did?
There are a few otehr options. MPs can also be disqualified from holding their seats if they are made bankrupt, are mentally ill, receive a prison sentence of more than 12 months or become a member of the House of Lords. Don't see any of these happening so he may technically remain an MP whether he fulfils the role or not!!

No, I'm just saying the whole thing is an archaic, ridiculous nonsense. Even entertaining any kind of sensible conversation about the thing gives it a creditability undeserved in modern society. 

Kerry Mike

QuoteCrown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead

It has a nice ring to it though, I think he shoud hoist the tricolour or at the least the Starry Plough at the Manor during his term in office.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Nally Stand

Though as we all know, tory prime ministers are also true bastions of truth and honesty!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 26, 2011, 02:51:51 PM

Though as we all know, tory prime ministers are also true bastions of truth and honesty!

As we all know, Hurricane Fly has a great chance in the Champion Hurdle.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Banana Man on January 26, 2011, 01:51:50 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 26, 2011, 01:45:40 PM
For someone who denies ever having sold out, it seems that he might have been bought...

Adams steps down from role as MP
(UKPA) – 28 minutes ago

Gerry Adams has officially resigned from his Westminster seat and become Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, the Prime Minister has said.

The Sinn Fein leader, who is standing in the upcoming Irish election, resigned his West Belfast seat in a letter to Commons Speaker John Bercow.

But there was confusion over whether he had formally applied to the Chancellor for an office of profit under the Crown, a title that makes a person ineligible to sit in the Commons.

Copyright © 2011 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

you've decided to come back after your previous loss of sanity.
"I haven't gone away, you know".

Or even emigrated, like Adams...

Quote from: Banana Man on January 26, 2011, 01:51:50 PMIf he has which is highly dubious he would have to take this office though seeing as Mrs Robinson STILL holds the other one despite her embarrasing step down from political life months ago
I think you'll find this is the Gerry Adams thread, although I suppose all these Brit MP's tend to blur after a while...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 26, 2011, 02:51:51 PM

Except that lying to the Commons is one of the few things which can actually get you thrown out of the place.

So I suppose if the worst comes to the worst and he can find no other way of resigning, Gerry could always make his long-awaited Maiden Speech... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Ulick

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 26, 2011, 03:03:04 PM
Except that lying to the Commons is one of the few things which can actually get you thrown out of the place.

Oh please  :D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

EG'sgeography was never too sound.
Sure he thinks Antrim is in the same Country as London  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Quote from: Ulick on January 26, 2011, 03:35:16 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 26, 2011, 03:03:04 PM

Oh please  :D
OK, I'll rephrase that: "Getting caught lying to the Commons etc"

And as we all know, Adams has yet to be caught lying in that particular place...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Shamrock Shore

Will he turn up for this job?

Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead

As a Bailiff will he be allowed to seize goods........oh wait!