Kildare v Sligo

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 11:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonman

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2012, 11:07:22 PM
Does Hyde Park have floodlights? This is a game that could go into extra time!

The Hyde Park matchday experience does not contain floodlights, i thought 6.30 was a bit risky alright, if the evening is bad we could be in trouble

ross4life

Quote from: commonman on July 23, 2012, 11:16:28 PM

The Hyde Park matchday experience does not contain floodlights, i thought 6.30 was a bit risky alright, if the evening is bad we could be in trouble

Even if it did go to extra time it doesn't get dark until around10pm.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

Yeah, knowing our mad weather, you could end up with a dodgy situation. Then again, it's starting 30 minutes earlier for an evening game. 

Syferus

That's it, the feckin' neighbours are sure to wear their all-black uniforms. Sneaky oul' bastards. Every poor Kildare player will be lit up like Casper the Ghost.

Donnellys Hollow

There'll be no need for floodlights. If all the owners of the KE registered 4x4s parked around Roscommon town are instructed to switch on their powerful headlamps we will light the place up like Las Vegas.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2012, 11:34:05 PM

That's it, the feckin' neighbours are sure to wear their all-black uniforms. Sneaky oul' b**tards. Every poor Kildare player will be lit up like Casper the Ghost.

;)  ;D

Ohtoohtobe

My Kildare team for Saturday, in fairness we're in a complete mess at the moment and the team is very unsettled.

1 Shane Connolly
2 Ollie Lyons - Not comfortable with him in the full-back line (mostly due to memories of Stephen O'Neill catching a ball behind him in league final). But he was one of the few to perform against Limerick.
3 Peter Kelly - Would prefer to play Foley here but we need his ball-winning ability at midfield.
4 Aindriu Mac Lochlainn - Can't understand how people would still start McGrillen. His defending, particularly this year, has been awful. He was severely roasted (again) v Limerick and I just think Mac, though he has his faults, is a better defender.
5 Eoin Doyle
6 Morgan O'Flaherty
7 Emmet Bolton
8 Mick Foley
9 Padraig O'Neill (Flynn if fit, but it doesn't seem likely to me that Daryl will have 70 minutes in him)
10 Eamonn Callaghan (hopefully fit enough, made a big difference against Limerick)
11 Mikey Conway (Took a lot of wrong options the last day but I'd start him, with Eoghan O'Flaherty in reserve)
12 James Kavanagh (Thought, after Foley, he was our best player against Limerick)
13 Seanie Johnston
14 Alan Smith. This to me is the most crucial bit - not necessarily that Smith plays, but that O'Connor doesn't. The tactic is so predictable and simply doesn't work against good teams. If we do it against Sligo, what happened against Donegal last year and Limerick last week will happen again - we will not only kick away an ocean of ball, but practically set up counter-attacks for them.
It's not Tom O'Connor's fault - perhaps we should look at potentially starting him midfield? (Again, if Flynn is not fit) I know Smithy didn't get into it against Limerick but I just remember how class he was at full-forward in 2008 for the 21s and think we could get the most out of him here.
15 J Dizzle

LilySavage

There must be a wall of money on the lilies

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kildare-v-sligo/winner

No. PP opened market with Kildare at 2/7 and rest have to follow suit. I suspect these odds will change the other way as people see value in Sligo.

LilySavage

Certainly wouldnt start OConnor. Good option off the bench. Foley better at fullback but we are limited there through injury. Conway/Kavanagh/EOF/Smith need to up there game and stop running away from goal with the ball.

LilySavage

Think its a nonsende this game is on in Roscommon town. A Sligo colleague agrees and says he and his mates unlikely to attend now. They should have put this as a doubleheader in Croker on Saturday. They did it last year for Kildare/Derry and Down/Cork. Cork and Derry have very small support , ud get more from Meath/Kildare/Sligo. Also, last train out of Ros is at 7pm. Did the GAA mutton heads even consider that when applying a 6.30 start?Becuase so many showed up in Breffni, do they think theyll get 10,000 Kildare fans in Ros at 6.30? No fooking chance.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: LilySavage on July 24, 2012, 10:30:32 AM
Think its a nonsende this game is on in Roscommon town. A Sligo colleague agrees and says he and his mates unlikely to attend now. They should have put this as a doubleheader in Croker on Saturday. They did it last year for Kildare/Derry and Down/Cork. Cork and Derry have very small support , ud get more from Meath/Kildare/Sligo. Also, last train out of Ros is at 7pm. Did the GAA mutton heads even consider that when applying a 6.30 start?Becuase so many showed up in Breffni, do they think theyll get 10,000 Kildare fans in Ros at 6.30? No fooking chance.

And the atmosphere at those games was brutal, in travel terms it favours Sligo just but considering we have motorway all the way to Athlone it's not exactly the outback we're heading to. Plus if it was in CP as a double header wtf do you think the other counties would be supporting, we have a 100% qualifier record there, we'll bring approx 8K I'd imagine, we brought 10K to Portlaoise x 2 and Brefni Park. We're in the last 12 despite only playing well in patches that's all that matters so less of the persecution complex, we'll just keep our heads down and keep driving on.

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Does anyone actually know what is exact the nature of Daryl Flynn's injury?

I wouldn't agree re Hughie McGrillen. While not as prominent as in recent years he's still a reliable player and is still the source of many of our attacks. He made some great runs up the terrace sideline in the first half on Saturday but no one bothered to pick him out with a cross field ball when he was free due to the obsession in hitting everything into O'Connor. Mac is great warrior but he's still prone to the occasional rush of blood to the head. I think he's better from the bench because usually the game has settled down by the time he comes on and he's less likely to be as hyped up and throwing himself into rash tackles.

I wish the county board had kept their traps shut about the venue. They've really made a show of themselves in the past six months. Bring back Pádraig Ashe, all is forgiven!!

Dinny Breen

QuoteMac is great warrior but he's still prone to the occasional rush of blood to the head. I think he's better from the bench because usually the game has settled down by the time he comes on and he's less likely to be as hyped up and throwing himself into rash tackles.

I wouldn't be a biggest fan and that is a good observation, whereas I wouldn't trust him to start, I would trust him to come on and do a job.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2012, 11:07:20 AM
QuoteMac is great warrior but he's still prone to the occasional rush of blood to the head. I think he's better from the bench because usually the game has settled down by the time he comes on and he's less likely to be as hyped up and throwing himself into rash tackles.

I wouldn't be a biggest fan and that is a good observation, whereas I wouldn't trust him to start, I would trust him to come on and do a job.

I think some of his best performances for Kildare have been from the bench like both the Dublin games during McGeeney's tenure. He's often been described as a yellow card waiting to happen but that yellow card more often than not seemed to come at the start of a match when he was all hyped up. I remember both himself and a certain Mr Johnston being booked before the ball was even thrown in one night!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2012, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: LilySavage on July 24, 2012, 10:30:32 AM

And the atmosphere at those games was brutal, in travel terms it favours Sligo just but considering we have motorway all the way to Athlone it's not exactly the outback we're heading to. Plus if it was in CP as a double header wtf do you think the other counties would be supporting, we have a 100% qualifier record there, we'll bring approx 8K I'd imagine, we brought 10K to Portlaoise x 2 and Brefni Park. We're in the last 12 despite only playing well in patches that's all that matters so less of the persecution complex, we'll just keep our heads down and keep driving on.

Is that since the time we beat ye there in the qualifiers?