Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 24, 2011, 04:42:28 AM
I don't have much expectation for this game given the talent we are misisng up front but hopefully we are at least competitive and avoid a 12 or 15 point beating.

In order for Mayo to win by 15 points they would need to convert 15 scoring opportunities.
They would need to score at least 5 frees.  It is a tall order. 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
It will come down to whichever team scores the most frees .

It will come down to whichever team scores the most frees
I'd be in full agreement with you, seafoid, if you were to knock out the last word in the above statement. ;D
I won't be betting too much on the outcome and that's for sure. Galway seem to be harder hit by injuries than Mayo and that is the main reason why I expect a narrow Mayo win.
As I see it, Galway won't implode on the day –I wish the same could be said of Mayo but sin sceal eile.  If Mayo somehow manage to keep Pee Joyce under control and Joe Bergin fails to keep going full blast for the whole game, I feel Mayo have enough to shade it. Both Pee and Joe have been class acts throughout their careers but I feel they mightn't be able to last the pace for the whole game.
Bradshaw, Conroy and Bane are others who could trouble any defence o n their better days but I'm just hoping they won't get enough midfield ball to do serious damage.  Other than that, there are too many ifs, buts and maybes involved for me to do anything than fall back on what I said at the start.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

southsidejohnny

Abbeysider. No I am not exaggerating about 21 yard frees either side of the post. Dillon is a regular at missing them. Another thing, I recall Mayo missing three 14 yard frees in All Ireland finals. Ciaran Mac v Kerry in 1997, and the minor forward of 2008 v Tyrone and 2009 v Armagh, same guy both times. A Kerry man who sat beside me in 2009 could not believe it.

Do you see Kerry, Kildare, Wexford, Dublin, Cork, Donegal or Roscommon subcontracting the job out to every tom dick and harry on the pitch. What next for Mayo,an announcement over the tannoy asking if some fella in the crowd  is he handy with the  auld frees and would he call to the Mayo dressing room at half time.

Truly we have sunk and next Sunday will confirm the drop. Back door will nail it home.

Tubberman

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 24, 2011, 01:37:16 PM
Abbeysider. No I am not exaggerating about 21 yard frees either side of the post. Dillon is a regular at missing them. Another thing, I recall Mayo missing three 14 yard frees in All Ireland finals. Ciaran Mac v Kerry in 1997, and the minor forward of 2008 v Tyrone and 2009 v Armagh, same guy both times. A Kerry man who sat beside me in 2009 could not believe it.

Do you see Kerry, Kildare, Wexford, Dublin, Cork, Donegal or Roscommon subcontracting the job out to every tom dick and harry on the pitch. What next for Mayo,an announcement over the tannoy asking if some fella in the crowd  is he handy with the  auld frees and would he call to the Mayo dressing room at half time.

Truly we have sunk and next Sunday will confirm the drop. Back door will nail it home.

Slightly OTT there Johnny...  ::)
With support like that, we don't need the Rossies or Tribesmen shouting against us.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

southsidejohnny

The day we start to move into the real world and stop fooling ourselves is the day we rise from our ever bended knee. I will always support the team and county. I will never ever paper over the utter and dire set up that currently passes for football in the county. From 1993-2005 we had teams in Croke park from the clubs every second year. Since then what? Time we woke up and saw where we are. Admitting the truth is the first step to recovery.

seafoid

tubberman

I don't buy that. Why do Mayo fall so often?  They have to get up anyway .

AbbeySider

Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2011, 01:52:29 PM
tubberman

I love pedantic Friday

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2011, 01:52:29 PM
tubberman

They don't have to get up. They could sit there feeling sorry themselves saying "What's the point? Sure we're shite. Might as well lie here and take it easy".
That analogy ok for you?  ;)

Tubberman

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 24, 2011, 01:48:23 PM
The day we start to move into the real world and stop fooling ourselves is the day we rise from our ever bended knee. I will always support the team and county. I will never ever paper over the utter and dire set up that currently passes for football in the county. From 1993-2005 we had teams in Croke park from the clubs every second year. Since then what? Time we woke up and saw where we are. Admitting the truth is the first step to recovery.

Not a thing wrong with highlighting the inadequacies in the county (both club and intercounty), but writing off the team before the match has even started is unfair IMO.

AbbeySider

*garbage and negativity*

You will be eating your words on Monday. Im backing Mayo by 4-6 points on PaddyPower at 9/2. Nice bet. 

Who is debating we are where we were in the past or denying where we are now?
In recent previous years not near enough young players have been developed which leaves us where we are, at a team building stage right back at the beginning. Nobody is arguing that we should be in Croke Park.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 24, 2011, 02:19:00 PM
*garbage and negativity*

You will be eating your words on Monday. Im backing Mayo by 4-6 points on PaddyPower at 9/2. Nice bet. 

Who is debating we are where we were in the past or denying where we are now?
In recent previous years not near enough young players have been developed which leaves us where we are, at a team building stage right back at the beginning. Nobody is arguing that we should be in Croke Park.

I'm arguing Mayo should be in Croke Park. With the playing population in the county Mayo should be last eight every year.

If Mayo do beat Galway by 4-6 points I think they will be in Croke Park later this summer. Best of luck with your bet.

AbbeySider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 24, 2011, 02:47:06 PM
I'm arguing Mayo should be in Croke Park. With the playing population in the county Mayo should be last eight every year.

If Mayo do beat Galway by 4-6 points I think they will be in Croke Park later this summer. Best of luck with your bet.

Thanks Iolar, and I definitely see yourself and johnnys points.
Sure we should be aiming at the quarter finals and further, but we have to get past Galway and Roscommon on the way which is a big task with such a new panel of players. Not impossible though!

ross matt

eh rhubarbs and tribesmen.... ye'er not doing much to talk up Connacht football here. Never thought I'd say this but I kinda yearn for the days ye used to big ye'erselves up and slate us. Come on! There has to be some of that misplaced superiority complex lurking there in the subconscious.  I want to be able to chill and learn from this feast of football on Sunday. At the rate ye'er talkin there is a danger neither side will show up on Sunday!

seafoid

Dontcha love the Rossies when they win a match. Against Leitrim.
It is not fair to torment the Mayo contingent.  Not until Monday, providing they have won.

Farrandeelin

I can see a lot of neutrals not turning on the tv until the Dublin Kildare game starts to be honest.

We're 'the poor relation' (I'm talking about Rossies/Heronchokers/Mayos/Sligonians/Laythrums here) as Keith Barr has us down in his column in the Indo today and I fully agree with him.

I just cannot see how too many people will watch this game especially given the last few years Connacht hasn't even produced a semi-finalist. Perhaps that's why we're too afraid to shout and be superior ross4life. The fact of the matter is, whatever about Roscommon, Galway and Mayo especially most certainly are not
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.