Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmy

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 23, 2011, 12:19:53 PM
Quote from: kevmy on June 23, 2011, 12:09:21 PM
Maurice Sheridan was the last man to hit them consistently.

I think Hennelly should hit them and any other kickable free from 35/40 metres out. Cluxton got 3 points the last day. Dillon should take the closer in ones on his side and O'Connor on the other.

It does show up that we do miss C Mort a bit in this regard, while he could never hit 45s he was very reliable within his range.

I would leave the ones on the right to a naturally left footed player like McGloughlin.

Hennelly shouldnt take anything inside 45 metres as inter county pitches are so large these days that it would take him all day to get up the pitch, and if it drops short or the ball does not go dead he would be on a mad scramble back and we could get punished.

Is O'Connor not able to kick off both feet? If not then I agree with you.

As regards Hennelly he would have to either point it or kick is dead. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie get caught out by this at intercounty level. It's much more of a possibility in hurling yet we've often see the likes of Damien Fitzhenry or Davy Fitzgerald take penalties never mind 45's

seafoid

hurling has 65s because the ball goes further. 45s are fuball.
Maybe when Mayo are playing they could reduce the distance to 25. 

AbbeySider

Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2011, 12:33:35 PM
hurling has 65s because the ball goes further. 45s are fuball.
Maybe when Mayo are playing they could reduce the distance to 25.
:D :D :D

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on June 23, 2011, 12:29:02 PM
Is O'Connor not able to kick off both feet? If not then I agree with you.
Yes he is but he is more naturally right footed.

Chimley

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 23, 2011, 12:07:53 PM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 23, 2011, 11:47:56 AM
Its a pity that Bluett isnt around indeed or more the pity that the men he saw arent around to take the frees either. Joe Corcoran would point them still and him in his mid 60s. At present we have not ONE single player that can kick a 50. We have not ONE that can be relied on to point a 21 yard free that is not direct in front of the post.
Instead of Twittering and captains and vice captains giving boring interviews it might suit them better to take a bag of balls, find a telegraph pole and start aiming shots at that , then progress to goalposts.
I am mortified at the pathetic efforts at frees we see at the moment from Mayo players. Wexford, Donegal, Laois, Down, Kerry, Dublin,Cork, Carlow, London... ffng everbody has a free taker. We have eight, nine or ten, all equally useless. I am going to watch this one through my fingers and the backdoor match v Armagh through the curtains.
By the way , any body old enough to recall the last time a Mayo man pointed a 45/50 as we called them when I was a boy?

Your statement about 21 yard frees is a bit of an exaggeration.

As I said before the only reason there was different free takes against London was because both our free takers got substituted. Dillon got injured and taken off so Andy took over from him, and Campbell was replaced so Cillian O Connor took over from the right.

Andy lost confidence after missing a couple of scorable frees late in the game and Aidan O Shea took a free off him but when you take the substitutions into account its not all that it is being made out to be.

Although both were replaced the records show that neither scored a feee prior to their replacement. In fact, apart from Moran who got two frees (one in extra time), the only other Mayoman of the seven who tried their luck was Hennelly from a 45. That's a shocking day out in anyones book.

Turlough O Carolan

I would be careful about laughing about Mayo freetakers because one of these days they'll surely stick a pile of them over the bar from every angle. Probably against Ros. They are clearly developing their own version of Dutch total football only it's total freetaking – every player at anytime can be the freetaker. Even the subs running on the pitch are likely to take a stab at sticking one over. And in my opinion, that's not only innovative, its impressive.

seafoid

Deel Rover

The parallels between your footballers and our hurlers are striking.
Maybe they will both surprise everyone over the next 2 weeks.

ross4life

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on June 23, 2011, 03:42:00 PM
I would be careful about laughing about Mayo freetakers because one of these days they'll surely stick a pile of them over the bar from every angle. Probably against Ros. They are clearly developing their own version of Dutch total football only it's total freetaking – every player at anytime can be the freetaker. Even the subs running on the pitch are likely to take a stab at sticking one over. And in my opinion, that's not only innovative, its impressive.

Mayo players rarely have problems knocking it over the black spot when they play us e.g Cillian O'Connor frees last June beat us in Minor & in the FBD last Jan Mark Ronaldson accuracy from frees won it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

Never seen such despondency from the Mayo supporters on this board. Nearly feel sorry for them. Nearly....

moysider

Quote from: ross matt on June 23, 2011, 04:39:00 PM
Never seen such despondency from the Mayo supporters on this board. Nearly feel sorry for them. Nearly....

Save your approaching sympathy until Monday morning :'(

Farrandeelin

Lads, I don't know how in God's holy hell McLoughlin is down to take a free. He hasn't taken any of note for Knockmore which are usually taken by Killer and Munnelly. Typical Mayo style though, we like to big him up if we're in bother aainst Galway in the freetaking department. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 23, 2011, 05:14:14 PM
Lads, I don't know how in God's holy hell McLoughlin is down to take a free. He hasn't taken any of note for Knockmore which are usually taken by Killer and Munnelly. Typical Mayo style though, we like to big him up if we're in bother aainst Galway in the freetaking department. :-\

Nobody is lumping anyone in, its just speculation and guess work. I only suggested it as he was the only left footed forward starting (I think)

ludermor

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 23, 2011, 12:07:53 PM
Your statement about 21 yard frees is a bit of an exaggeration.

As I said before the only reason there was different free takes against London was because both our free takers got substituted. Dillon got injured and taken off so Andy took over from him, and Campbell was replaced so Cillian O Connor took over from the right.

Andy lost confidence after missing a couple of scorable frees late in the game and Aidan O Shea took a free off him but when you take the substitutions into account its not all that it is being made out to be.
Ah here! What about the rest of the free takers (Hennelly, Doherty & Freeman according to Redcol who is rarely wrong) ?? Can you not just admit that free taking was a shambles in that game???
Oh and why do you always spell McGloughliin???

seafoid

Quote from: ross matt on June 23, 2011, 04:39:00 PM

They were much worse 3 weeks ago.

Farrandeelin

How are Galway shaping up? I want a proper answer, not 'oh we're crap cos we were relegated 11 odd weeks ago' answer. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.