Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2011, 08:37:40 PM
It's hard to believe the 2 teams are still in the championship.
:D :D :D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 22, 2011, 09:58:46 PM

found myself laughing at that comment as well  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 22, 2011, 10:01:39 PM

Same as that. Could be a shocking small crowd. People are afraid to go maybe. At least at home you can hide behind the sofa and give Brolly a fuckin.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2011, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 22, 2011, 10:01:39 PM

Same as that. Could be a shocking small crowd. People are afraid to go maybe. At least at home you can hide behind the sofa and give Brolly a fuckin.

i'm in 2 minds especially on account of the poor representation from North Mayo ;) in fairness 25 yo yo s is fairly steep imo
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 22, 2011, 09:12:55 PM
Looking at Abbeysider's last paragraph, he seems to be speaking like a man that has just picked the team! :D
:D  :D  :D
Couldnt be furthur from reality, not near enough Ballintubber lads playing!  ;)

highorlow

QuoteQuote
Mayo complacent

Nothing to do with complacency. It's the players and skill set that was wrong. JH needs to drop at 7 to 10 players from that starting team / panel. In fact a team that goes out and disgraces the jersey the way they did on Sunday all need to be dropped aka the Mayo team v Sligo (and lost) in the 70's. However that is too much a nuclear option in the modern era.

Its probably too late in the day to recruit a whole new panel so he might just have to do a Mick O'Dwyer this year and leave the 7 to 10 poor players on the bench for the rest of the season.

Bottom line is we still don't have a championship standard full back line, midfield, CHB, CHF or full forward.

We would be aswell to start the O'Shea brothers in mid-field the next day, trevor mort at CHF, and howley at full back and bring back Geraghty. I would start Gardiner and McLoughlin also. Luck enough that panels are so big these days.

Happy enough with that team and some of the changes were as I predicted after the London game. Pity Howley is injured. Who will take the frees?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on June 22, 2011, 11:21:18 PM
QuoteQuote
Mayo complacent

Nothing to do with complacency. It's the players and skill set that was wrong. JH needs to drop at 7 to 10 players from that starting team / panel. In fact a team that goes out and disgraces the jersey the way they did on Sunday all need to be dropped aka the Mayo team v Sligo (and lost) in the 70's. However that is too much a nuclear option in the modern era.

Its probably too late in the day to recruit a whole new panel so he might just have to do a Mick O'Dwyer this year and leave the 7 to 10 poor players on the bench for the rest of the season.

Bottom line is we still don't have a championship standard full back line, midfield, CHB, CHF or full forward.

We would be aswell to start the O'Shea brothers in mid-field the next day, trevor mort at CHF, and howley at full back and bring back Geraghty. I would start Gardiner and McLoughlin also. Luck enough that panels are so big these days.

Happy enough with that team and some of the changes were as I predicted after the London game. Pity Howley is injured. Who will take the frees?

Dillon. And O Connor. And Andy. Freeman might chance a couple. Aidan might try one. Richie Feeney and Hennelly will share the 45s. Campbell will have a go when he s introduced. Kevin McLoughlin can swing one over with the left.  :-\

mannix

good luck to mayo on sunday. please be ferocious, its why you trained so hard.

spectator

Quote from: muppet on June 22, 2011, 01:53:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on June 22, 2011, 01:37:26 PM
Hell I'm getting frustrated writing this, if I were a Mayo man living in Mayo I'd be kicking up holy war.

You are not a Mayoman. Please don't lecture us on how to be one.

;)

muppet

Quote from: spectator on June 22, 2011, 11:40:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 22, 2011, 01:53:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on June 22, 2011, 01:37:26 PM
Hell I'm getting frustrated writing this, if I were a Mayo man living in Mayo I'd be kicking up holy war.

You are not a Mayoman. Please don't lecture us on how to be one.

;)

I reserve the right to navigate myself onto my own rocks without some hoor lecturing me that I'm doing it wrong.

Seriously though it is depressing to read how many Mayo supporters join in the gratuitous bashing of our players, past and present, by some wind up merchant. How do we expect the players to have a back-bone when there are so many of their so called supporters who don't have one?

However win on Sunday and all will be the complete opposite again, way too much of the opposite.

Back to the team. I hope Trevor switches with McLoughlin and Ronan is fit enough to play some part if needed. But we should still win.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2011, 11:29:36 PM
Quote from: highorlow on June 22, 2011, 11:21:18 PM
QuoteQuote
Mayo complacent

Dillon. And O Connor. And Andy. Freeman might chance a couple. Aidan might try one. Richie Feeney and Hennelly will share the 45s. Campbell will have a go when he s introduced. Kevin McLoughlin can swing one over with the left.  :-\
It's a pity Paddy Bluett  isn't still around. (Remember him?) He might be as good as any to have a go.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

southsidejohnny

Its a pity that Bluett isnt around indeed or more the pity that the men he saw arent around to take the frees either. Joe Corcoran would point them still and him in his mid 60s. At present we have not ONE single player that can kick a 50. We have not ONE that can be relied on to point a 21 yard free that is not direct in front of the post.
Instead of Twittering and captains and vice captains giving boring interviews it might suit them better to take a bag of balls, find a telegraph pole and start aiming shots at that , then progress to goalposts.
I am mortified at the pathetic efforts at frees we see at the moment from Mayo players. Wexford, Donegal, Laois, Down, Kerry, Dublin,Cork, Carlow, London... ffng everbody has a free taker. We have eight, nine or ten, all equally useless. I am going to watch this one through my fingers and the backdoor match v Armagh through the curtains.
By the way , any body old enough to recall the last time a Mayo man pointed a 45/50 as we called them when I was a boy?

AbbeySider

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 23, 2011, 11:47:56 AM
Its a pity that Bluett isnt around indeed or more the pity that the men he saw arent around to take the frees either. Joe Corcoran would point them still and him in his mid 60s. At present we have not ONE single player that can kick a 50. We have not ONE that can be relied on to point a 21 yard free that is not direct in front of the post.
Instead of Twittering and captains and vice captains giving boring interviews it might suit them better to take a bag of balls, find a telegraph pole and start aiming shots at that , then progress to goalposts.
I am mortified at the pathetic efforts at frees we see at the moment from Mayo players. Wexford, Donegal, Laois, Down, Kerry, Dublin,Cork, Carlow, London... ffng everbody has a free taker. We have eight, nine or ten, all equally useless. I am going to watch this one through my fingers and the backdoor match v Armagh through the curtains.
By the way , any body old enough to recall the last time a Mayo man pointed a 45/50 as we called them when I was a boy?

Your statement about 21 yard frees is a bit of an exaggeration.

As I said before the only reason there was different free takes against London was because both our free takers got substituted. Dillon got injured and taken off so Andy took over from him, and Campbell was replaced so Cillian O Connor took over from the right.

Andy lost confidence after missing a couple of scorable frees late in the game and Aidan O Shea took a free off him but when you take the substitutions into account its not all that it is being made out to be.

kevmy

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 23, 2011, 11:47:56 AM

Maurice Sheridan was the last man to hit them consistently.

I think Hennelly should hit them and any other kickable free from 35/40 metres out. Cluxton got 3 points the last day. Dillon should take the closer in ones on his side and O'Connor on the other.

It does show up that we do miss C Mort a bit in this regard, while he could never hit 45s he was very reliable within his range. 

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on June 23, 2011, 12:09:21 PM
Maurice Sheridan was the last man to hit them consistently.

I think Hennelly should hit them and any other kickable free from 35/40 metres out. Cluxton got 3 points the last day. Dillon should take the closer in ones on his side and O'Connor on the other.

It does show up that we do miss C Mort a bit in this regard, while he could never hit 45s he was very reliable within his range.

I would leave the ones on the right to a naturally left footed player like McGloughlin.

Hennelly shouldnt take anything inside 45 metres as inter county pitches are so large these days that it would take him all day to get up the pitch, and if it drops short or the ball does not go dead he would be on a mad scramble back and we could get punished.