Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turlough O Carolan

Whatever happened to that cherished concept of the perfect Connacht final: Galway v Mayo. It only seems like yesterday when the good denizens of the more westerly parts of the west bemoaned the one-hat Connacht draw, which has every now and again resulted in an imperfect provincial final. Indeed it has mystified many how the Connacht Chairman has been unable to pull a second hat out of his hat and keep these two great rivals apart until July. Does he not know that Leitrim, Sligo and Ros are only upstarts and unable to fill McHale or handle the Salthill air in Pearse? And London? Well, don't mention London. Ruislip almost witnessed slaughter on a scale that has not been witnessed on the Banks of the Thames since Queen Boudicca burned the town down two thousand years ago.  Now after getting the fright of their life from the likes of London and New York, it appears neither Mayo or Galway are even fit to show up for a Connacht semi-final clash with the other. This is very disconcerting and there won't be a sacred cow milked in Connacht for the rest of the Summer.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 09:07:00 AM
Everytime I drive over that bridge in Athlone I think they should have a sign that says "Failte go Connacht" and for people going in the opposite direction "you are now entering hell" . But there is no imagination in Roscommon County Council.

all you need to do is smell the sweet air when you cross the Shannon going West at Athlone .

When you cross from Lanesboro in Larryland into Ballyleague there's a sign about signs and speed limits being in kilometres per hour.
The Larries must still be using miles etc ;D

Then again you often see a sign in the middle of Ireland in English/French/ German saying to drive on the left as if foreigners had arrived by parachute. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on June 02, 2011, 01:31:49 PM
Whatever happened to that cherished concept of the perfect Connacht final: Galway v Mayo. It only seems like yesterday when the good denizens of the more westerly parts of the west bemoaned the one-hat Connacht draw, which has every now and again resulted in an imperfect provincial final. Indeed it has mystified many how the Connacht Chairman has been unable to pull a second hat out of his hat and keep these two great rivals apart until July. Does he not know that Leitrim, Sligo and Ros are only upstarts and unable to fill McHale or handle the Salthill air in Pearse? And London? Well, don't mention London. Ruislip almost witnessed slaughter on a scale that has not been witnessed on the Banks of the Thames since Queen Boudicca burned the town down two thousand years ago.  Now after getting the fright of their life from the likes of London and New York, it appears neither Mayo or Galway are even fit to show up for a Connacht semi-final clash with the other. This is very disconcerting and there won't be a sacred cow milked in Connacht for the rest of the Summer.

If it isn't  Mayo doing the béal bocht it's Roscommon doing the Napoleon complex .

Napoleon complex is an informal term describing an alleged type of inferiority complex which is said to affect some people, especially men, who are short in stature [or in all-Irelands]. . Other names for the term include Napoleon syndrome[1] and Short Man syndrome.[2]

I don't buy this Mayo whingeing for a minute. There isn't a single Mayo poster in the Qualifiers thread.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 02:10:22 PM
I don't buy this Mayo whingeing for a minute. There isn't a single Mayo poster in the Qualifiers thread.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2011, 04:59:33 PM
Mayo will probably end up in it later on in the year too.

Third post there.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 09:13:59 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 02, 2011, 12:58:44 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 12:01:20 AM
Why do I read about Kildare every year?

Because you buy a newspaper on an annual basis?

Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare?

I do......

Fair play to you Hollow, you're a scholar and a gentleman. I should point out that I've been to games in Laois, Kildare and Monaghan and I found the welcome warm and the football tremendous. It just gets on my wick when people in West lie down and are then totally mystified when they get walked on.

I think, Iolar, that we tend to overlook theh fact that players and supporters live in each others' shadows.
Unlike professional soccer and rugby players, our GAA lads are very much part of their own communities and  therefore react to the vibes they pick up from those around them. If the fans are happy, the team plays well. If the fans think their neighbour's child is a total waste of space and couldn't kick snow off a rope, the poor lad's confidence is going to be sorely dented.
It's a two-way process; a form of synergy if you like.
Far too often, I have seen brilliant games in venues from Salthilll to Carrick and left those grounds knowing  that the winners would never reproduce their form when they crossed the Shannon. Unlike draught  Guinness, Connacht players should not lose their best qualities when they travel  across water.  Yet, most times they do no matter where the crossing occurs.
I don't think players lose their talents when they venture outside Connacht but all too often they do lose their confidence and I put that down to the drop of expectations amongst their supporters. That's a generalisation I know but it does happen more often than not.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 02, 2011, 03:41:43 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 09:13:59 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 02, 2011, 12:58:44 AM
Why do I read about Kildare every year?

Because you buy a newspaper on an annual basis?

Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare?

I do......

Fair play to you Hollow, you're a scholar and a gentleman. I should point out that I've been to games in Laois, Kildare and Monaghan and I found the welcome warm and the football tremendous. It just gets on my wick when people in West lie down and are then totally mystified when they get walked on.

I think, Iolar, that we tend to overlook theh fact that players and supporters live in each others' shadows.
Unlike professional soccer and rugby players, our GAA lads are very much part of their own communities and  therefore react to the vibes they pick up from those around them. If the fans are happy, the team plays well. If the fans think their neighbour's child is a total waste of space and couldn't kick snow off a rope, the poor lad's confidence is going to be sorely dented.
It's a two-way process; a form of synergy if you like.
Far too often, I have seen brilliant games in venues from Salthilll to Carrick and left those grounds knowing  that the winners would never reproduce their form when they crossed the Shannon. Unlike draught  Guinness, Connacht players should not lose their best qualities when they travel  across water.  Yet, most times they do no matter where the crossing occurs.
I don't think players lose their talents when they venture outside Connacht but all too often they do lose their confidence and I put that down to the drop of expectations amongst their supporters. That's a generalisation I know but it does happen more often than not.

If Galway fuballers have a good team they can go all the way and being from Connacht doesn't come into it. This year's under 21 was a good example. They were underdogs against Cork but they had no fear of them and won the semi final and then the final was a walk in the park.

Ros and Mayo are the ones that tend to suffer from stage fright . They both had good under 21 teams recently but nothing came of them.    It must be all in the head. The Galway hurlers have a similar affliction at senior level but can still churn out the goods under age.

I can't bear to look at how many all-Ireland finals Mayo have lost in the last 20 years.   

the Deel Rover

when did the galway seniors last win a game in croke park seafoid?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Corcaigh Abu

Quote from: Barney on June 01, 2011, 03:36:57 PM
QuoteWe may aswell forget this year now and re-focus on oh12.

That is what was said last year, and in 2007, and in 2008 and in 2009 before that.

When are we actually going to grab the bull by the horns?

There is little that will be achieved while the current County Board are in place. They are the GAA equivalent of Fianna Fail. They have destroyed the games within the county, have been there too long, and are not wanted by the general Mayo GAA community. However those with the power i.e. the clubs will not or cannot stand up to the Board. And even if they were to who would actually want to come in and take over a voluntary role managing an astronomical debt as well as what happens on the pitch.

The feared and sad reality is that James Horan will walk the plank if a Connacht title is not delivered this year. And then we will be back to another embarassing circus like last year in attempting to replace him in a job that nobody wants.

That post reminds me of our own county board down here.I don't agree with all this talk about Mayo being bottlers in 96 and 97 they would have won the all ireland if they had 1 free scoring forward while in 04 and 06 they just weren't good enough.People used to wrongly call us bottlers but that Cork team from 05-08 were a few top class players short of winning an all ireland.I would be hopefull that Mayo can win connacht and if they win a match in croke park it will be a great year for them.
Roses Are Red,Violets Are Blue,We have 120 All Irelands, How Many Have You?

Corcaigh Abu

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 02, 2011, 04:04:59 PM

When was the last time they beat a non connacht team in the championship? ;D

GalwayBayBoy

10 years ago although it was the right game to win. Would make you feel old though.

I don't believe there is any confidence problem or complexes with Galway footballers though. When they have a team that's good enough they win All-Ireland's. When they have one that isn't good enough. They generally don't.

Corcaigh Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 02, 2011, 04:21:09 PM

10 years ago although it was the right game to win. Would make you feel old though.

Were talking about the present stop living off an event 10 years ago. ;D

Have a good look at it it will be the closest you lot will get to Sam this year. ;D

ross4life

Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:18:10 PM

When was the last time they beat a non connacht team in the championship? ;D

2004 v Louth i think.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:24:23 PM

Have a good look at it it will be the closest you lot will get to Sam this year. ;D

Congratulations on your win.

Corcaigh Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 02, 2011, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:24:23 PM

Congratulations on your win.

On a more serious note i would like to see Galway,Mayo and Down get there act together all three are tradtionaly very nice and clean footballing counties.Galway have a few nice forwards but i think they are weak enough in defence and that will be there downfall.Still though the u21 all ireland win has shown that talk about Galway being in decline as a football county are a bit premature.

galwayman

QuoteAs another Mayoman asked his team in another code once, where's your f**king pride?
Since when is Ciaran Fitzgerald a Mayo man? Born and bred in Galway