booing and cat-whistling at free takers

Started by Royalranter, July 22, 2012, 11:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 23, 2012, 10:18:40 AM
There is an element of smugness behind the crowd staying silent in rugby - Look at us, aren't we great supporters.

Couldn't agree more. I watched a Leinster Munster game in Peter Clohessy's Bar a couple of years ago and couldn't believe my ears when the crowd started shushing at free kicks. In a public house! With the match taking place 2km away! My loud guffaws didn't put them off either.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ballinaman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2012, 03:41:03 PM
There is an element of smugness behind the crowd staying silent in rugby - Look at us, aren't we great supporters.

Couldn't agree more. I watched a Leinster Munster game in Peter Clohessy's Bar a couple of years ago and couldn't believe my ears when the crowd started shushing at free kicks. In a public house! With the match taking place 2km away! My loud guffaws didn't put them off either.
Exactly.....they then love to roar when a full back is under a garryowen too.

eviemonkey

Bizarre behaviour but becoming increasingly common any time the rugby is on in a pub. The mind boggles at the mind-set behind such a practice.

Crete Boom

This is brought up by the Media after the self appointed greatest fans in the world decided not to make any noise during penalty kicks in Thomond. In fairness to them they were the first to do it and even in pre Celtic tiger this is our real culture I love Munster Heineken Cup mission days I do remember silence in the interprovincial matches (in Thomond not Musgrave) which could be quite spiky affairs.
  I can only go by my own experience but from the old Cardiff Arms to the Parc de Princes to Carrisbrook to Twickenham to the Old Landsdowne the was always a certain amount of booing of place kickers , how much dependended on the place and the opposition. It's not new in the Gaa either (and not all the Dubs fault) , one of my first sporting memories is from the Hyde in 1989 and there was a chorus of boos , whistles and catcalling every time Messrs McStay and McManus were lining up a free so we can't act holier than thou in the Gaa either and blame it all on the Skangers ;) Personally I don't mind it as long as there's no personal insults thrown in and it's just boos. Couldn't imagine it affecting the players too much anyway.

brokencrossbar1

I remember a story a number of years back where the county secretary of a certain county came up to the free taker at training one night.  He had one of these in his hands

He stood behind the player and started playing the tape and it was a recording of a crowd booing and roaring at someone taking a free.  "This is to make it more realistic for you to practice for the big ocassions!"  "would ye ever piss off you annoying cnut!!!"

haranguerer

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 27, 2012, 04:06:05 PM

This is brought up by the Media after the self appointed greatest fans in the world decided not to make any noise during penalty kicks in Thomond. In fairness to them they were the first to do it and even in pre Celtic tiger this is our real culture

Ah ffs. Do you really think they want the lad to have every chance to score it?? They're f**king praying he misses like everyone in every other sport, its just a better way of attempting to put someone off, when booong and whistling is so commonplace, and place kickers are used to it.

Btw, I coudnt give a f**k about booing and whistling during frees, there are much bigger sportsmanship issues to deal with than that in our game.

armaghniac

Note the unsporting booing in the Dublin - Laois game that you won't see in other games this weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on August 04, 2012, 07:30:06 PM
Note the unsporting booing in the Dublin - Laois game that you won't see in other games this weekend.

What else would you expect where the Dubs are concerned?