booing and cat-whistling at free takers

Started by Royalranter, July 22, 2012, 11:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

It used to annoy me a lot, doesn't any more.

Rugby has changed my view.

I went to Thomond a couple of years ago for Munster v Leinster league game. When Jonny Sexton was kicking for goal, there was absolute silence, and if one or two started to make noise, they got lambasted by other fans. BUT, ever other time Sexton got the ball the stadium rang our with boos. Every time Leinster got a line out, the boos rang out as the crowd tried to make it as difficult as possible for the thrower.

Why only give "respect" to the opposition when kicking for goal and at no other time?

Its all a load of balls, and in fact if you're not used to it I'd imagine its more difficult to kick in absolute silence than with noise all around, which the fans know well.

If fans want to cheer, boo or stay silent, the paid their money, they can make their choice. All part of the atmosphere as far as I'm concerned now.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2012, 11:57:35 PM
Would never happen in Killarney!
no, they only boo oposition subs coming on and cheer every oposition wide or mis placed pass
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bord na Mona man

There is an element of smugness behind the crowd staying silent in rugby - Look at us, aren't we great supporters.

When it actually gets put to the test, i.e. a kicker with a potentially match winning kick, then the crowd aren't always so sporting. In the last 2 years I recall Dan Parks and Jonathan Davies getting booed by a substantial amount of the Irish crowd as they lined up kicks to win games for Scotland and Wales. The 'respectful silence' shown to them earlier in the game by these supporters was just for show.

thejuice

Maybe they are soccer fans disguised as Rugby fans.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

I really like the olaying that accompanies every pass when a team has completely subdued the opposition, the game is won and there's no more tension, so the fans can really show their appreciation. It was uplifting to hear it from (some of) the Kerry fans on Saturday evening, especially as it represented such a contrast to the curmudgeonly attitude of (some of) their supporters when (some) Meath fans similarly entertained themselves towards the end of the 2001 semi-final.

here comes 6

Plain of the Herbs

I recall Tony Ward being quoted saying that the eerie silence in a packed stadium was more intimidating than the jeers of a raucous crowd when taking a place-kick.
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 23, 2012, 10:18:40 AM
There is an element of smugness behind the crowd staying silent in rugby - Look at us, aren't we great supporters.

When it actually gets put to the test, i.e. a kicker with a potentially match winning kick, then the crowd aren't always so sporting. In the last 2 years I recall Dan Parks and Jonathan Davies getting booed by a substantial amount of the Irish crowd as they lined up kicks to win games for Scotland and Wales. The 'respectful silence' shown to them earlier in the game by these supporters was just for show.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: hardstation on July 23, 2012, 11:57:02 AM
Booing free kicks is class. As a paying supporter, I feel it is my only real opportunity to influence the game in my team's favour. Not my fault the free taker can't kick straight when there is a bit of noise. He should practice this.

Well said dude............................take american football for example since the 60s kickers practice with speakers being blasted with crowd noise and wind machines blowing at them..........professional I know but gaa is all but that......................

ONeill

Booing free kicks is class. As a paying supporter, I feel it is my only real opportunity to influence the game in my team's favour. Not my fault the free taker can't kick straight when there is a bit of noise. He should practice this.

I boo the wife every time she makes dinner. I eat like a king now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

snoopdog

donegal fans were at it Yesterday in Clones.
Kildare fans against Down in AI SF 2 years ago. Some Down fans followed suit.

It tends to be in big games where you have guys who are hopping on the bandwagon and going for the day out and the beer as opposed to the football.
The majority of reall GAA fans dont do it.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gazzler

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 23, 2012, 12:01:29 PM

Well said dude............................take american football for example since the 60s kickers practice with speakers being blasted with crowd noise and wind machines blowing at them..........professional I know but gaa is all but that......................

Hardy

... --.- ..- .. .-. . .-.-.- -.. --- - .-.-.- --- .-. --. .-.-.- .- ... --

Dinny Breen

...........|r.|..........................
...........|e|...........................
...........|a|. ..............................
....._ |y.|l.|a|.d|........................
.....\..|o.|l.|r.|.u|....................
......\.|u.|y|e|m|.......................
.........|xxxxb|.........................
..........|xxxx|.........................
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

The booing is one of the least pleasant aspect of attending Dubs games which otherwise can have a good atmosphere.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B