GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

From BBC online and relevant to a lot of discussion on here:
QuoteGAA must 'reach out' to unionism  

Fermanagh GAA player and journalist Colm Bradley has said further steps should be taken to encourage unionists to play gaelic games.

The Ulster GAA Council started an initiative two years ago to entice more unionist participation in the sport but Bradley believes more can be done.

"I don't believe those documents go far enough," Bradley told the BBC.

Bradley added that "certain political language" within the GAA's rulebook should be removed.

"There are good things in the documents but more can be done," said Bradley, who is currently taking a break from intercounty football.

"First of all to educate unionists that they can be involved in the GAA and two, we have to look at some aspects of our own rules, which may need to be changed to become more accommodating.

"I should also point out that you don't have to dilute the Irishness or to dilute the gaelic culture. Some rules can be changed quite simply."

Bradley believes that the GAA should consider changing the text of its Rule 2, to the wording used prior to 1971.

"Rule Two states:'The association is a national organisation which has a basic aim of the strengthening of the national identity of a 32-county Ireland through the presentation of gaelic games and pastimes'.

"That phrase 'through the strengthening of the national identity of a 32-county Ireland' does rankle with unionism. That came in in 1971.

"Before that, the Rule (merely) talked about the 'preservation of Ireland's games and pastimes'.

"That is a lot less political but it is the exact same thing (in practical terms). You are preserving the games and pastimes which are indigenous to this island.

"I don't see how any unionist could have a problem with that - nor could anybody who has the GAA at heart could say they have a problem with that."

Bradley acknowledged that certain members of the unionist community "will never accept the GAA".

"You are never going to convert them no matter what you do.

"But I do believe (more can be done to entice others) and I'm talking about people who I know, who are of my age, who would call themselves unionist, who would also call themselves Irish.

"That is the way society is going and I think the GAA could do a little bit more to entice these people to play our games."

A regular unionist criticism of the GAA is the fact that a number of clubs and grounds have been named after former members of the IRA and other republican and nationalist figures.

There is a gaelic culture in the GAA and you don't want to remove that

Trevor Ringland

Bradley believes that clubs "shouldn't be forced" to change their names.

"Part of the problem is that people can pick an isolated case and use it as a rod to beat the GAA's back.

"Conversely, the GAA can take an isolated case of cross-community work and say:'We're doing enough'.

"Instead, there needs to be a much bigger picture looked at here."

Former Ireland rugby international Trevor Ringland said that he "welcomed" Bradley's contribution to the "ongoing debate" within the GAA.

Ringland, who has been a strong proponent of cross-community ventures in Northern Ireland for many years, said that the GAA has changed for the better in recent years.

"The opening up of Croke Park, the removal of Rule 21...those changes have had an impact and have resonated in the unionist community as well.

"There is a gaelic culture in the GAA and you don't want to remove that from the sport because that's very much at the heart of it.

"But what you maybe don't want is to have to buy into a political philosophy or a religious philosophy."

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thejuice

Well the club I play for is Roger Casements, and to be honest if it were asked that we changed the name to something else I wouldn't mind at all. I love Gaelic games and but don't really see the point or even the good it does naming clubs after people with contentious backgrounds.

I would object to any hint of the removal of the Irish language however
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

They'll be looking to fly the Union Jack at our grounds next !

Whenever the protestant schools start to play gaelic, perhaps we could take these comments more seriously - at the minute the unionists are having a good laugh at our expense ?

How many policemen joined clubs after the change in rule ?

Denn Forever

"That phrase 'through the strengthening of the national identity of a 32-county Ireland' does rankle with unionism

How has the constitution been amended now the articles 1 and 2 have been removed? Any useful wording?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on April 01, 2008, 05:36:47 PM
They'll be looking to fly the Union Jack at our grounds next !
Why so? Or you could ask the question - Why fly any flags? Or why not just fly a GAA flag and the flags of the counties/clubs playing?

Quote from: orangeman on April 01, 2008, 05:36:47 PM
Whenever the protestant schools start to play gaelic, perhaps we could take these comments more seriously - at the minute the unionists are having a good laugh at our expense ?

How many policemen joined clubs after the change in rule ?
Who's having a laugh and why? Surely if the GAA made the first move, then schools might follow.

Have a read here also - some are willing: http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=TribuneFTF&id=102839&SUBCAT=&SUBCATNAME=&DT=09/09/2007%2000:00:00&keywords=logo&FC=

Also, i'm not sure how many policemen joined clubs after the change in rule - can you let us know? I do know that they established a team of their own - did that not justify the rule change for you?

Mentalman

There was a whole discussion about this over on the non-GAA discussion section previously with some of our friends from OWC, and I think the upshot was that a lot of the preamble to the rule book would have to be altered in order for unionists not to take offence, which I think a lot of people didn't really mind? This point :

QuoteWhenever the protestant schools start to play gaelic, perhaps we could take these comments more seriously

has a lot of validity, as during one of those discussions it was proven that to play GAA sports at school you don't need to be a member of the GAA, as it comes under the control of the Cumann na mBĂșnscoil, so there was no perceived impediment, other than a distaste for Gaelic culture of course. As came up in that debate, there's a better chance of kids in Warwickshire playing GAA then most schools in the six counties.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

believebelive

Quote from: Mentalman on April 01, 2008, 05:48:32 PM
There was a whole discussion about this over on the non-GAA discussion section previously with some of our friends from OWC, and I think the upshot was that a lot of the preamble to the rule book would have to be altered in order for unionists not to take offence, which I think a lot of people didn't really mind? This point :

QuoteWhenever the protestant schools start to play gaelic, perhaps we could take these comments more seriously

has a lot of validity, as during one of those discussions it was proven that to play GAA sports at school you don't need to be a member of the GAA, as it comes under the control of the Cumann na mBĂșnscoil, so there was no perceived impediment, other than a distaste for Gaelic culture of course. As came up in that debate, there's a better chance of kids in Warwickshire playing GAA then most schools in the six counties.

Your spot on Metalman - there is nothing to stop GAA being coached in controlled schools in the North? Does anyone know if GAA coaching is currently taking place in any of these schools?

his holiness nb

The schools thing is extremely valid.
It would prove whether there actually are large numbers of Unionists out there who would play our games.
If this happens, then lets look at changing the language of the rulebook.

Let the Unionist community who regularly claim to be excluded prove that they have an interest, through the schools, where theres no politics involved.

If the do, then lets talk.

My big suspicion is that most would never join either way, so this is their chance to prove themselves.
Ask me holy bollix

Maguire01

I don't think we need to appeal to any 'huge numbers' of people from any background to justify changes to, or to depoliticise, our sport. 

Also, if you think there's no politics involved where GAA can be played in schools, you're having a laugh - you can't separate schools GAA from the organisation as a whole (and all the trappings entailed).

Kerry Mike

The European Court of human rights has today ruled in favour of a DUP amendment to protocol EU.105.112.E/B.4(N.I. 2008) that teams shall not be allowed to participate in and/or take rewards from sporting events under a different country unless those participants are resident of that area governed by the particular sporting body. This amendment is related to those sporting teams and sporting personal from the 6 counties of Ulster that fall under the jurisdiction of the flag of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

In making his judgement the esteemed Mr Iveto Drincalot has insisted that the finding of the judgement are binding and are to be made public but more importantly to be back dated to January 1st 1960 when the case was first taken to the European court by the then young Rev Ian Paisley.

The implications of this ruling are immense in that sporting results involving these team will be voided and the results amended. This will effect the Gaelic Athletic Association in particular who are expected to mount a rigorous appeal, but the road bowls, tractor reversing and pipe smoking associations are also expected to be effected and they have called a joint press conference later today to state their views and grounds for appeal.

When the ruling takes effect from April 1st 2008, the GAA sporting achievements of Armagh, Antrim, Down, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh will be scratched from the history books and all winning medals and memorabilia are to be returned to Croke Park. Also any photographic evidence of such successes are to be decommissioned. This will be monitored by a select committee. This committee will also enforce the removal of nicknames for particular players who have been labelled God, The Great One or simply the Great.

In effect the All Ireland Senior Roll of Honour table will be amended as follows.

1960    Kerry         
1961    Offaly         
1968    Kerry         
1991    Meath         
1993    Cork    Its the only way they will win one     
1994    Dublin  But voided due to excess flag waving in 1901     
2002    Kerry         
2003    Voided  due to lack of alternative champion   
2005    Kerry         

It will only effect Football as hurling has yet to be established successfully in the region.
There will also be a similar knock on effect for other grades like minor, U21, Ladies, and club results, meaning teams like Crossmaglen will be stripped of their 4 titles.

Tis a great day for the Kingdom bringing our title haul to 39 now....  :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Maguire01

This should probably be over in the relevant thread in the general discussion board.  By far the least believeable of any of today's stories.

armaghniac

Quote2003    Voided  due to lack of alternative champion   

They should give it to Donegal, who at least provided a decent game in the semi-final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Apple Top

If they want to play they can, if they don't who really gives a flying f**k.

pintsofguinness

This sort of shite sickens my hole!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?