GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyronefan

Quote from: orangeman on April 01, 2008, 05:36:47 PM
They'll be looking to fly the Union Jack at our grounds next !

was there not one flying in Croke Park last spring  ???

Minder

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 01, 2008, 09:39:40 PM
This sort of shite sickens my hole!
Totally agree, why should we reach out? There must be some sort of Lottery/European funding involved.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

How about unionism reaching out to the GAA?

An apology from Loyalists who were responsible for killing members of the Association for no other reason than they were members would be nice, for a start.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Pangurban

This suggestion is puerile, infantile nonsense, not worthy of serious discussion

jodyb

Quote from: thejuice on April 01, 2008, 05:32:52 PM
Well the club I play for is Roger Casements, and to be honest if it were asked that we changed the name to something else I wouldn't mind at all. I love Gaelic games and but don't really see the point or even the good it does naming clubs after people with contentious backgrounds.

I would object to any hint of the removal of the Irish language however

What would you want to change it for?? Wasn't he a Knight of the realm? Sure what would unionism find objectionable about that? ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 01, 2008, 10:07:06 PM
How about unionism reaching out to the GAA?

An apology from Loyalists who were responsible for killing members of the Association for no other reason than they were members would be nice, for a start.
To be fair, i don't think anyone is looking to reach out to hardcore loyalists - rather those who would be more moderate and more open to the idea of playing gaelic games - take Darren Graham in Fermanagah, as an example. 
Also, such people (i.e. 'moderate unionists') don't have to apologise to those GAA families bereaved by loyalists, no more than 'moderate nationalists' would be expected to apologise for those killed, say in Omagh or Enniskillen. There's no logic in that argument.

ziggysego

I've no problems with the GAA being more welcoming to the Unionist community.

A bit of rewording would do no-one any harm. However I would be worried that there could be too many changes and would erode the 'Irishness' away too much.
Testing Accessibility

Bensars

Anything that gets a budding journalist column inches and the name into the mainstream.  ( And to the BBC as well, as if they had'nt a big enough stick already )

What will be next for Mr Bradley, the GAAs inability provide the  immigrant population with tickets for the All Ireland final ?

Fishbat

Total, complete and utter waste of time when you are dealing with 900.000 odd people who's very existance is based on being anti-Gaelic, the siege mentality and false principles on a tiny patch of earth on a tiny island  -   its a culture based on fear

They have no respect for Irish culture, people nor their national games nor music - nothing, (despite living here) and its a very very sad state of affairs

I hear people talking about how things will change in future generations of unionism - no chance - the poison is passed on like a virus,  Most unionist children born today will never play any Gaelic sports as mummy or daddy will tell them not to do so, just as they were told not to do so, but there'll be the odd gutsy one - used to be one fella kicked about with me  - "fenian lover" was the response from his "friends" (ironically one of those lads is now married to a "fenian"... an enlightened unionist, a rare breed indeed)

Reach out?  too right - about time unionism reached out and apologised to their neighbours

When the blind hatred for ireland dies - so does Unionism - so why waste our time - it won't happen, these people are quite happy to live their 3 score years and 10 like this, too afraid to stick their heads up......... so let them - their loss

Mentalman

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2008, 06:47:59 PM
Also, if you think there's no politics involved where GAA can be played in schools, you're having a laugh - you can't separate schools GAA from the organisation as a whole (and all the trappings entailed).

I think your missing the point. The main reason given by those unionists who formulate a cojunt reason for not joining the GAA is preamble in the rule book mentioning an aspiration for national self determination. As such it's not a rule, but to play for a GAA club they argue, whether you like it or not, or are aware or not, you are a member, therefore you "sign on" for the organisation's aims. I think most of us were blissfully unaware of this as kids, but that's by the way side. The competitions run in the primary schools fall under the Cumann na Bunscoil, and as such there is no concept of supporting Irish national self determination, knowingly or not - it's strictly just another sport taught as part of the P.E. section of the ciriculum, if the kids are indeed allowed P.E., but that's a whole other matter - so there can be no objection to the sport in of itself. Of course naturally there is a massive cross blending of members with the GAA, but there doesn't have to be - I myself played hurling for along time for my school before I ever got involved with a club. Like I said I'm in favour of reform of the rule book, and I think irrespective of Unionists intentions to take our sports onboard - I think the vast vast majority have none, and if I were a Unionist I probably wouldn't either - we should make the change, if only for our own sake.  Now culturally, that's another matter, but to trying to make Gaelic football and hurling, well, non-Gaelic...that's just a contradiction in terms.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

J70

Bradley's piece seems very reasonable to me.

Maguire01

Quote from: Mentalman on April 01, 2008, 11:55:47 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2008, 06:47:59 PM
Also, if you think there's no politics involved where GAA can be played in schools, you're having a laugh - you can't separate schools GAA from the organisation as a whole (and all the trappings entailed).

I think your missing the point. The main reason given by those unionists who formulate a cojunt reason for not joining the GAA is preamble in the rule book mentioning an aspiration for national self determination. As such it's not a rule, but to play for a GAA club they argue, whether you like it or not, or are aware or not, you are a member, therefore you "sign on" for the organisation's aims. I think most of us were blissfully unaware of this as kids, but that's by the way side. The competitions run in the primary schools fall under the Cumann na Bunscoil, and as such there is no concept of supporting Irish national self determination, knowingly or not - it's strictly just another sport taught as part of the P.E. section of the ciriculum, if the kids are indeed allowed P.E., but that's a whole other matter - so there can be no objection to the sport in of itself. Of course naturally there is a massive cross blending of members with the GAA, but there doesn't have to be - I myself played hurling for along time for my school before I ever got involved with a club. Like I said I'm in favour of reform of the rule book, and I think irrespective of Unionists intentions to take our sports onboard - I think the vast vast majority have none, and if I were a Unionist I probably wouldn't either - we should make the change, if only for our own sake.  Now culturally, that's another matter, but to trying to make Gaelic football and hurling, well, non-Gaelic...that's just a contradiction in terms.

I'm not missing the point at all.  I fully understand the difference in the organisation's structures.  It's perception that matters - as far as most are concerned, the GAA is the GAA, whether it's being organised and played through schools, clubs or counties.  Therefore, if there are obstacles at any level, there are obstacles at all levels, percieved or actual.

orangeman

Quote from: Bensars on April 01, 2008, 11:01:03 PM
Anything that gets a budding journalist column inches and the name into the mainstream.  ( And to the BBC as well, as if they had'nt a big enough stick already )

What will be next for Mr Bradley, the GAAs inability provide the  immigrant population with tickets for the All Ireland final ?

Agreed Bensars and as someone said earlier this sort of shite really sickens my hole ! ( I think that was Pints )

believebelive

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2008, 09:46:03 AM
Quote from: Bensars on April 01, 2008, 11:01:03 PM

Agreed Bensars and as someone said earlier this sort of shite really sickens my hole ! ( I think that was Pints )

To be fair he wrote an article in the GPA magazine which was carried in the Irish Independent on Monday. I haven't read it though. Anyone able to give a link to the full article?

Gnevin

This old peach again .Don't people know that both side's are as bad as each other and the majority have a never,never ,never attitude. Waste of time bringing it up or discussing it.  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.