Championship structures - the never ending saga?

Started by Rossfan, August 03, 2016, 11:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 13, 2016, 12:10:22 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 13, 2016, 11:59:32 AM
Well if its played the way I have outlined , every county still has the chance to get into the top tier competition every year.
It just requires the weaker counties to 'qualify' for it.
It would lead to more emphasis on league position as well if it meant a  greater chance of competing in the all ireland last 16

This would benefit the weaker counties by giving them a realistic game to aim for at the beginning of each year. a knockout game against a team at a similar level.

The provincial championships can still be played separately, and the mckenna cup,FBD etc can be done away with.
I think your suggestion was that the top 12 teams per the league plus the four provincial winners would compete in the 'A' championship? Technically that gives everyone a chance of taking part but realistically it doesn't.

I'd favour a preliminary tournament for the weaker teams that allowed some of them to enter that year's championship if they qualified.
I think either format is a improvement on the current one, But I take your point, a preliminary qualifying competition for the weaker counties might be the best bet.
That would allow the GAA then to market the last 16 as the elite competition of the gaa and return to a knockout format rather than the second chance nature of the current qualifier system.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 13, 2016, 11:37:28 AM
Looks like we're going to go over old ground.

The main problem is that there is no appetite among players from "weaker" counties to participate in a graded system.

I'm not saying the players' opinions are the be all and end all but it's not a great starting point.

What about supporters from the so called 'weaker counties', I'd like to know what they think?

I'd have thought the County Boards from the weaker counties would be in favour as it theory they'd make more money on the gate.

As for the players they'd soon get used to it, the next generation wouldn't know any different as they'd have grown up with it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 13, 2016, 12:49:15 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 13, 2016, 11:37:28 AM
Looks like we're going to go over old ground.

The main problem is that there is no appetite among players from "weaker" counties to participate in a graded system.

I'm not saying the players' opinions are the be all and end all but it's not a great starting point.

What about supporters from the so called 'weaker counties', I'd like to know what they think?

I'd have thought the County Boards from the weaker counties would be in favour as it theory they'd make more money on the gate.

As for the players they'd soon get used to it, the next generation wouldn't know any different as they'd have grown up with it.
So would I.

The players might get used to it or they may boycott it as some said they would.

As AZ has often said on this subject, what exactly is the problem we're trying to solve?

In my opinion, the "problem" needs to be addressed along with the issue of club games and not in isolation.

Esmarelda

blewuporstuffed

Some of this proposal is great. Condensing the championship. moving the finals a couple of weeks earlier, getting rid of replays, but the fact its proposed along with this round robin system in the latter stages, mean that its very unlikely to get through.
Surely we can get the championship condensed without adding in this other stage?
it seems that they are trying to get this 2 groups of 4 thing passed and have tacked on a few things that people actually do want to try and get it passed.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Keyser soze

Was waiting on the annual snorefest about restructuring the championship, some of ye boys would be better off down your club doing something for the GAA rather than coming up with ingenious methods for restructuring county football.

I talk a lot of GAA to a lot of GAA heads and I can never recall anyone raising the issue of reformatting the championship or talking about round robins or doing away with the provincials. This is a media driven campaign and it is having life breathed into it by forums such as this with barrackroom administrators coming up with new formats to salve their own egos. Solving the scheduling issues for club and county without even having to leave ur bedroom. Laughable stuff.

I've lost count of the number of different posters who have come up with new formats on here, all of which will completely solve the fixtures issue  ::)  Never a word about any of the problems or negative outcomes these might have. Indeed it's clear that there is ZERO thought given to the possible negative outcomes of any of these schemes. I see someone wanting to guarantee every team 6 championship games  ;D ;D ;D ;D that's not a championship mate, that's called a league.

Where are you all when it comes to getting change in the GAA? Sitting at home in your bedroom probably. The seriousness with which they take themselves is hilarious.

Esmarelda

For the sake of reasonable debate on this thread I'd encourage posters to ignore the last post.

I agree that the current proposal is much better than I had understood it. I'd look forward to the detailed calendar that they have to see how it is supposed to work.

I imagine they want this through in conjunction with the new TV deal with more "top" games likely to be played on the same weekend.

Keyser soze

Well Esmeralda sure what's the point in having 'reasonable debate' on here when u can go along to your clubs AGM and give your opinions there, I'm sure your cogent and well reasoned proposals will create such a swell of support that u will be nominated to propose a motion at County Convention. In fact u will probably end up at Convention with your well thought out plans carrying the floor.   

Alternatively have a cut at someone who is rightfully laughing at you on a discussion board.

Captain Obvious

The proposed championship by Páraic Duffy this year will eventually become a reality because as seen with his ten year campaign to scrap the U21 Championship whatever Duffy wants Mr Duffy normally gets.

Maroon Manc

I'd be in favour of getting rid of the league if it meant a longer championship.

Run the provincial championships in March, start the championship in April with every team to play 6 games up until the end of July which allow every county to play at least 3 rounds of their own championship in that period.

Zulu

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 13, 2016, 03:19:03 PM
Was waiting on the annual snorefest about restructuring the championship, some of ye boys would be better off down your club doing something for the GAA rather than coming up with ingenious methods for restructuring county football.

I talk a lot of GAA to a lot of GAA heads and I can never recall anyone raising the issue of reformatting the championship or talking about round robins or doing away with the provincials. This is a media driven campaign and it is having life breathed into it by forums such as this with barrackroom administrators coming up with new formats to salve their own egos. Solving the scheduling issues for club and county without even having to leave ur bedroom. Laughable stuff.

I've lost count of the number of different posters who have come up with new formats on here, all of which will completely solve the fixtures issue  ::)  Never a word about any of the problems or negative outcomes these might have. Indeed it's clear that there is ZERO thought given to the possible negative outcomes of any of these schemes. I see someone wanting to guarantee every team 6 championship games  ;D ;D ;D ;D that's not a championship mate, that's called a league.

Where are you all when it comes to getting change in the GAA? Sitting at home in your bedroom probably. The seriousness with which they take themselves is hilarious.

Again, nonsense from you on this issue. So you and your mates don't talk about so it's a media concoction, is that it Kellyanne Conway? Most people I know are very unhappy with the IC competition structures but like many GAA people are primarily concerned about the team they are involved in.

This is a discussion board where people chat about various issues to give and hear opinions. Some of us may well have brought our solutions to our clubs but even if we haven't that doesn't mean we can't talk about it here. Suggesting otherwise is utter rubbish. Lot's of suggestions here solve many of the problems but a total overhaul is required to solve them all and that isn't going to happen anytime soon unfortunately.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

I see HQ have issued a new booklet on the proposed last 8 series.
They've included attendances at Championship games this century showing 2016  as the lowest overall since 2000, the last year before the Qualifiers.
Only for Mayowestros being in the Qualifiers this year the figures for the 25 games would have been embarrassing.
Around 55,000 at the other 21 games and this included u16s who had to pay this year, who weren't counted other years.

Doubling the admission price didn't help, but the irrelevancy of many of the games in the big picture isn't helping.

As for the new Big 8 thing...... totally opposed to it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Trap

Mr Duffy "it's not about the money"
The GAA community "its the GAA, its always about the money Mr Duffy"

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2016, 11:48:29 AM
I see HQ have issued a new booklet on the proposed last 8 series.
They've included attendances at Championship games this century showing 2016  as the lowest overall since 2000, the last year before the Qualifiers.
Only for Mayowestros being in the Qualifiers this year the figures for the 25 games would have been embarrassing.
Around 55,000 at the other 21 games and this included u16s who had to pay this year, who weren't counted other years.

Doubling the admission price didn't help, but the irrelevancy of many of the games in the big picture isn't helping.

As for the new Big 8 thing...... totally opposed to it.
The "Big 8 thing" is only part of it. What about the rest?