Championship structures - the never ending saga?

Started by Rossfan, August 03, 2016, 11:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Cork apparently against the new structure, there's been a few rumours about a few county's who will vote against it. I think its unlikely it will get the 66.66% to get through at congress.

Rossfan

I couldn't see that being voted through.
It's giving the 2 fingers to 24 teams and inventing a new competitive tournament for the top 8.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Jinxy

Andy McEntee spoke very well about the club vs. county issue after Ballyboden lost at the weekend.
He acknowledged that he'll see it now from the other side with Meath but he articulated a viewpoint that many people in the wider GAA community would share.
Think the interview was with Newstalk.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

twohands!!!

Piece in the Examiner confirming Cork voting against it.

If the likes of Cork are voting against it, the odds of it passing must be tiny and verging into humiliating defeat territory for those behind this proposal.

Jinxy

Maroon Manc

I think it will be back to the drawing board for Duffy & Co, I liked the idea of seeing more better quality games but in fairness to the teams who'd have little chance of making the final 8 it simply creates a bigger divide between the top and bottom.

I'd be in favour of a two tier championship and guaranteeing every county at least 6 championship games, would also like to see them shortening the league by a couple of games.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on October 12, 2016, 03:29:22 PM
Cork vote against everything.

Cork would surely have fancied themselves as one of the teams likely to benefit from this change.
Also the fact that very soon they will have a new stadium to pay for but a shortage of matches and still they vote against increasing the number of matches???

Jinxy

Every county has a senior, intermediate and junior championship.
Junior clubs aren't up in arms that they don't get to play in the senior championship.
Inter-county football is the anomaly here.

Rossfan

True Jinxy.
Is it time to copy the girleens again and have Senior, Junior and Intermediate All Ireland Inter Co Championships?
You could still have everyone entering the Provincials.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Jinxy on October 12, 2016, 06:07:58 PM
Every county has a senior, intermediate and junior championship.
Junior clubs aren't up in arms that they don't get to play in the senior championship.
Inter-county football is the anomaly here.

Spot on, we get the odd shock but isn't enough to keep justifying the current format.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2016, 06:34:26 PM
True Jinxy.
Is it time to copy the girleens again and have Senior, Junior and Intermediate All Ireland Inter Co Championships?
You could still have everyone entering the Provincials.

Even just the two 'divisions ' would make a huge difference.
A top 16 competition and a bottom 16 competition.

All 8 div one clubs automatically qualify for the 'top 16 sam maguire competition'

div 3 & 4 play a knockout qualifying round.
The winning sides progress on to play the div 2 sides.
The winning 8 from that join the top 8 sides for a knockout allireland competion with the first round seeded and then an open draw after that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Esmarelda

Looks like we're going to go over old ground.

The main problem is that there is no appetite among players from "weaker" counties to participate in a graded system.

I'm not saying the players' opinions are the be all and end all but it's not a great starting point.

blewuporstuffed

Well if its played the way I have outlined , every county still has the chance to get into the top tier competition every year.
It just requires the weaker counties to 'qualify' for it.
It would lead to more emphasis on league position as well if it meant a  greater chance of competing in the all ireland last 16

This would benefit the weaker counties by giving them a realistic game to aim for at the beginning of each year. a knockout game against a team at a similar level.

The provincial championships can still be played separately, and the mckenna cup,FBD etc can be done away with.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Esmarelda

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 13, 2016, 11:59:32 AM
Well if its played the way I have outlined , every county still has the chance to get into the top tier competition every year.
It just requires the weaker counties to 'qualify' for it.
It would lead to more emphasis on league position as well if it meant a  greater chance of competing in the all ireland last 16

This would benefit the weaker counties by giving them a realistic game to aim for at the beginning of each year. a knockout game against a team at a similar level.

The provincial championships can still be played separately, and the mckenna cup,FBD etc can be done away with.
I think your suggestion was that the top 12 teams per the league plus the four provincial winners would compete in the 'A' championship? Technically that gives everyone a chance of taking part but realistically it doesn't.

I'd favour a preliminary tournament for the weaker teams that allowed some of them to enter that year's championship if they qualified.