Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2023, 10:12:56 AM
If there was one in grain of truth of any single allegation I would have thought that would have been enough for him to step aside temporarily. The complete rebuttal and the reference to this having already been investigated certainly makes the County Boards position as difficult as it could be.

Nightmare scenario

What complete rebuttal?! If that statement is genuine, it looks to me that he has been very careful not to explicitly deny anything.

smelmoth

Quote from: full moon on May 11, 2023, 10:16:58 AM
Plenty of Armagh folk demanding Gallagher is removed etc. No ulterior motives there I'm sure!

But typical Armagh they know this is a very big chance for them now on Sunday.

Would you say he has the support of the Derry fans?

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 11, 2023, 10:20:32 AM
Quote from: lenny on May 11, 2023, 10:08:44 AM
Quote from: full moon on May 11, 2023, 10:03:01 AM
Is that statement anywhere official and not WhatsApp?

It's a fairly strong statement if real, and the police and courts have been involved a long time already it seems according to that.

Most people were saying yesterday that he would have to stand down pending an investigation. If it's true that all of these allegations have already been extensively investigated by the appropriate authorities then I think we all just have to accept that and move on.

I don't think it will help Derry, and I think he should choose to step away for Sunday at the least. He'll get dogs abuse and will be a circus if he's there. I'm not sure how the players will feel about him being there either.
A bit of time for more details to emerge. It'll be unfortunate on him if it isn't true. Dreadful in fact. But equally if there is more to come from her side, it won't be good to have kept him there. Not an easy spot for Derry, which is why I was fairly sure he would have walked himself.
Don't think he is the sort of boy that will step aside, the county board really need to step in and given it is 36 hours from the post went up and we've had radio silence doesnt reflect well on them. Highly doubt given the detail in that post that it is made up but Jesus if it was then clearly that woman isn't well and should genuinely do serious jailtime.

Keyser soze

A terrible situation* for John Keenan, and rest of the board to have to deal with, especially at this time in the week of an Ulster final.

I'm sure no-one taking on an admin role with their club or county could envisage getting engulfed in a shitshow like this, overnight, with a massive spotlight cast upon your every action in an incredibly sensitive situation. And one where you probably have zero experience and knowledge of dealing with such issues.

When you thought setting fixtures, sorting rows and allocating tickets to your mates would be your biggest headaches in the job.

*Before anyone says it I am not conflating the situation John et al are in with the serious issue of alleged domestic violence.

smelmoth

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2023, 10:24:25 AM
If there was one in grain of truth of any single allegation I would have thought that would have been enough for him to step aside temporarily. The complete rebuttal and the reference to this having already been investigated certainly makes the County Boards position as difficult as it could be.

Nightmare scenario

What complete rebuttal?! If that statement is genuine, it looks to me that he has been very careful not to explicitly deny anything.

It's a complete rebuttal in the sense that it's an outright denial.

I didn't say it was a satisfactory rebuttal.

Just making the point that he has knocked this back to the county board and not exactly made it easy for them.

J70

Plenty of Armagh folk demanding Gallagher is removed etc. No ulterior motives there I'm sure!

That's harsh. This issue has placed a huge non-football related cloud over the entire final. Why would Armagh folk want that or derive any satisfaction from any adverse effects on the Derry team?

Most people want to win fair and square.

gallsman

Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2023, 10:27:34 AM

Nightmare scenario

Just making the point that he has knocked this back to the county board and not exactly made it easy for them.

It's not an outright denial though? Although I'm sure it will follow.

He says allegations were made against him and dealt with by the relevant authorities. That could mean anything ffs.

gallsman

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 11, 2023, 10:26:22 AM
A terrible situation* for John Keenan, and rest of the board to have to deal with, especially at this time in the week of an Ulster final.

Completely agree. They're in a terrible position that they are most likely woefully underequipped to deal with, particularly in the modern world,

Armagh18

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2023, 10:30:14 AM

Nightmare scenario

He says allegations were made against him and dealt with by the relevant authorities. That could mean anything ffs.
If that statement is even genuine. Has anyone seen it anywhere more official than a whatsapp message forwarded many times?

smelmoth

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 11, 2023, 10:26:22 AM

I'm sure no-one taking on an admin role with their club or county could envisage getting engulfed in a shitshow like this, overnight, with a massive spotlight cast upon your every action in an incredibly sensitive situation. And one where you probably have zero experience and knowledge of dealing with such issues.

When you thought setting fixtures, sorting rows and allocating tickets to your mates would be your biggest headaches in the job.

*Before anyone says it I am not conflating the situation John et al are in with the serious issue of alleged serious domestic violence.

I completely buy the idea that Derry would like to get ahead of the story and act quickly but I guess they currently getting professional advice before doing anything. I don't underestimate the difficulty of the position they are in.

trailer

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 11, 2023, 10:01:05 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2023, 09:45:27 AM
Statement doing the rounds now.

C'mon trailer. Give us your thoughts fella.

Ask and you shall receive my child;
If this is a statement from the man himself then he's not for going anywhere. Sort of back me or sack me scenario. But what does this say to women and Derry women? We're in the world of #believeher and #metoo .
Derry are saying nothing because they don't know what to say.
If this statement is legit then asking for privacy is ridiculous. We're heading into the biggest game in the Ulster GAA calendar and nobody is talking about the match. This has cast a long dark cloud over the occasion. Even for Armagh it is a sad case of events.

My hunch is Derry and the GAA are clambering around seeing what to do. Taking advice from everyone from PR firms to Solicitors. The next 12 hrs are crucial. I would imagine Domestic Abuse groups will be watching very carefully how this is handled. This board operates in a sort of male vacuum. We get very few female opinions but rest assured they women will be watching carefully and they won't be impressed.
This is the ultimate shit sandwich and Gallagher isn't going to make the GAA's or Derry's job easy by going quietly.

Armamike

Quote from: J70 on May 11, 2023, 10:28:14 AM

That's harsh. This issue has placed a huge non-football related cloud over the entire final. Why would Armagh folk want that or derive any satisfaction from any adverse effects on the Derry team?

100%.  If we're going to beat Derry I'd rather he's on the line so there's no ifs or buts. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

gallsman

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 11, 2023, 10:32:10 AM

Nightmare scenario

If that statement is even genuine. Has anyone seen it anywhere more official than a whatsapp message forwarded many times?

That's why I was careful to say "if" in my original post. There simply HAS to be something official soon though. They can't afford to let it go much/any longer and certainly can't try and get to Sunday without addressing it

smelmoth

Nightmare scenario

Apologies. You are correct. I was told it was a denial. Just read the transcript here and if that is the full statement then it isn't a denial. I got that one wrong.

Armagh18

Quote from: Armamike on May 11, 2023, 10:33:50 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 11, 2023, 10:28:14 AM

100%.  If we're going to beat Derry I'd rather he's on the line so there's no ifs or buts.
Obviously would prefer that but given the circumstances he can't be. Even for the simple fact theres a fair chance someone will make a go for him. Not fair on the stewards