Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 12:16:22 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2017, 12:03:18 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 13, 2017, 11:34:00 PM
An thoughts on this?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/galway-cut-off-supply-one-mayo-player-responsible-126518

Interesting analysis and at least he's making an effort to analyse the game and generate talking points based on facts.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with it all,  particularly regarding kick outs - galway having an extra man allowed them to go man to man on ours while retaining a sweeper.

There's a tendency for analysts trying to make names for themselves to indulge in over-analysis.

The game on Sunday was most effected by the sending off and most problems Mayo faced and indeed the reason for Galway actually won rippled outward from that single event. It makes a lot of the praise of Galway's apparent physicality and tactics ring a little untrue.

Talking sense again Sy! Look, the sending off changed the dynamic of the game. But to give credit Galway still had to fashion the winning of the game!

blast05

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2017, 12:48:39 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 12:16:22 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2017, 12:03:18 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 13, 2017, 11:34:00 PM
An thoughts on this?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/galway-cut-off-supply-one-mayo-player-responsible-126518

Interesting analysis and at least he's making an effort to analyse the game and generate talking points based on facts.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with it all,  particularly regarding kick outs - galway having an extra man allowed them to go man to man on ours while retaining a sweeper.

There's a tendency for analysts trying to make names for themselves to indulge in over-analysis.

The game on Sunday was most effected by the sending off and most problems Mayo faced and indeed the reason for Galway actually won rippled outward from that single event. It makes a lot of the praise of Galway's apparent physicality and tactics ring a little untrue.

Talking sense again Sy! Look, the sending off changed the dynamic of the game. But to give credit Galway still had to fashion the winning of the game!

So the stats/facts on Seamus O'Sheas performances aren't a concern?
Nor Clarkes kickouts?
Nor our inability to establish our running game?

No, it seems according to you. Sure twas all the sending off, sure twill be grand the next day when we play with the full 15, twill be alright on the night

highorlow

QuoteNo, it seems according to you. Sure twas all the sending off, sure twill be grand the next day when we play with the full 15, twill be alright on the night

All but 4 Mayo posters are deluded here Blast.

Our goose is cooked unless SR has the balls to completely change things around (if he is let) in the next game.

Dropping SOS (use him as an impact rather than starting) and starting Coen in midfield is a start. Keeping Moran in reserve and starting either Loftus or COS (if fit). Dropping Donie (Donie might be needed for Higgins), starting Kirby.  Dropping Dillion (is the medium term plan to use Dillion this year?) from the panel and bringing in Akram or Cuniffe or some other speedy U21 from last years team. Starting Lee in his position and bringing in Boyle. Putting midfielders into midfield for the throw-ins.

If some (not all) of these changes aren't made then the first Div1 team we face will knock us out. My faith is gone so I don't believe these changes will be made. In fact the cynic in me predicts Hennelly will be back the next day and that will be the only unenforced change.

We can start planning for the electric picnic this year. 
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on June 14, 2017, 11:44:26 AM
QuoteNo, it seems according to you. Sure twas all the sending off, sure twill be grand the next day when we play with the full 15, twill be alright on the night

All but 4 Mayo posters are deluded here Blast.

Our goose is cooked unless SR has the balls to completely change things around (if he is let) in the next game.

Dropping SOS (use him as an impact rather than starting) and starting Coen in midfield is a start. Keeping Moran in reserve and starting either Loftus or COS (if fit). Dropping Donie (Donie might be needed for Higgins), starting Kirby.  Dropping Dillion (is the medium term plan to use Dillion this year?) from the panel and bringing in Akram or Cuniffe or some other speedy U21 from last years team. Starting Lee in his position and bringing in Boyle. Putting midfielders into midfield for the throw-ins.

If some (not all) of these changes aren't made then the first Div1 team we face will knock us out. My faith is gone so I don't believe these changes will be made. In fact the cynic in me predicts Hennelly will be back the next day and that will be the only unenforced change.

jesus wept.
14 man mayo lose a game by a point on a very windy day monthe after drawing an allireland final  and you have loons on looking for 8 changes to the team.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

magpie seanie

The "loons" as you call them are actually correct in what they're doing. A critical self analysis that it seems to me Mayo never really do. We lost cos they put the game in Limerick, an unlucky bounce over the bar, a man sent off.......there's always some reason but it's never your own fault. Thankfully, as someone who doesn't want to see Mayo win the All-Ireland, the "loons" are in the small minority in your county.

blast05

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 14, 2017, 01:20:56 PM
The "loons" as you call them are actually correct in what they're doing. A critical self analysis that it seems to me Mayo never really do. We lost cos they put the game in Limerick, an unlucky bounce over the bar, a man sent off.......there's always some reason but it's never your own fault. Thankfully, as someone who doesn't want to see Mayo win the All-Ireland, the "loons" are in the small minority in your county.

That's harsh. Since Horan took over, there is a definitely a culture in Mayo teams of only looking at one thing after a defeat .... the mirror. That culture has carried through with H&C and Rochford.
There will of course always be Mayo supporters who will whinge but even among that group, the culture has dramatically shifted too to looking in the mirror.

joemamas

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 14, 2017, 01:20:56 PM

You are a bitter person, I just included your post after the game

"Enjoyed the game. Thought Galway nearly threw it away due to their funny first half tactics and a bit of panic setting in in the last ten minutes. Luckily for them COC bottled a free yet again and then hid and Mayo had none else who could score because they'd taken Andy Moran off. It's like watching the same movie over and over again, Mayo never learn. In the conditions it was a very good game.....that Galway forward line could be very tasty in Croke Park later in the summer."

Cillian o Connor did not bottle a free, in fact if you take the time look at the facts, he scored a monster free from 60+ yards out, then took one from a similar distance, and it resulted in a free out for a square ball. He does not hide, he scored 0-6pts, was responsible for three more scores.

Hard to understand where your hate of Mayo emanates from. That is your issue.
As a mayoman, I don't think I have ever not wanted to see Sligo losing, (except when playing Mayo), I would say a lot of Mayo people have similar thoughts.
On a positive note, you only have two months until soccer begins. The vile comments that accompany that sport and its supporters may suit you better.

mayoman dan

[/quote]

Rochford is trying to be too smart and over complicating things.Keegan has to go back to 5 and Boyle has to come back in.We spent a full summer trying to turn Mc Loughlin into a sweeper and when he gets good at it we abandon it completley.Andy has to finish the games not start them.Loftus has to be given a go his pace alone is badly needed.Aido at ff if nothing else other teams are forced to double team him which would leave us with a free man.This shite of having Cillian around our half back line needs to stop aswell hes our best forward ffs.

rosnarun

Quote from: mayoman dan on June 14, 2017, 02:05:02 PM

[/b]

Rochford is trying to be too smart and over complicating things.Keegan has to go back to 5 and Boyle has to come back in.We spent a full summer trying to turn Mc Loughlin into a sweeper and when he gets good at it we abandon it completley.Andy has to finish the games not start them.Loftus has to be given a go his pace alone is badly needed.Aido at ff if nothing else other teams are forced to double team him which would leave us with a free man.This shite of having Cillian around our half back line needs to stop aswell hes our best forward ffs.
[/quote]
so just the 6 changes require to make up for a  point  loss.
Mayo need very few changes they just need to do what they do but do it better though training and good coaching .
there are reasons that mayo have been at the top table for the last several years despite perhaps not having the  best individuals and not making huge over reaction to a loss is one of them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Is Dillion actually still on the panel? The fúck?

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 03:57:31 PM
Is Dillion actually still on the panel? The fúck?

DILLON - his name is Alan Dillon.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

We've had plenty of defeats before and I was able to take them at face value. Even last year's AIF.

It's the nature of this one point defeat that's harrowing.

We beat Tyrone last year in a game I'd say they definitely felt they left behind. Watch and see how they will have learned from that in this year's championship.

I hope this "loon" is proven wrong and all the "supporters" on here that view the opposite and that this is a minor blip are in fact right. Time will tell, I'll keep following the team anyways, they need our support more than ever.

Fogra: any lads that keep calling it a "team" should remember it's a "panel" game these days. But then again that could be another problem with us.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mayoman dan

[/quote]
so just the 6 changes require to make up for a  point  loss.
Mayo need very few changes they just need to do what they do but do it better though training and good coaching .
there are reasons that mayo have been at the top table for the last several years despite perhaps not having the  best individuals and not making huge over reaction to a loss is one of them
[/quote]

The amount of changes is irrelevant.Mayo were at the top table last year because of unbelievable good luck in the qualifier draw and Tyrones lack of a cutting edge to put us away in the quarter final.The amount of chances Tyrone missed was criminal.I can see the logic in moving Mc Loughlin even if i dont agree with it.Loftus is a gamble but its one Kerry or Dublin would have no fears of making.Dropping Boyle playing Keegan out of position and wasting cillian round the middle of the field is madness and no amount of training or good coaching is going to rectify that

Lar Naparka

I've been too poxified to bother commenting on the game until now. I'm not too bothered about who did what ; it's what they didn't do that gives me the hump.

Coming up to the end of the first half, Mayo appeared to have the situation under control. They were playing well within themselves- not flat out but softening the opposition and letting them know that Armageddon was coming on the changeover.
All they had to do I felt was bag the first couple of points and Galway would accept the inevitable.. Coming up to the end of the half the Galway defence was undoubtedly panicky and I am certain none of them were looking forward to the switch around when they'd be facing into the wind.
And what happened? The usual I'm afraid...
Mayo were caught napping as has happened so many times in the past and once Galway bagged the first vital points, I knew we'd be playing catch up right through to the end. And so it happened.
Against Sligo, Mayo were dominant coming to the end of the first half once again and they failed to put the game beyond doubt on the restart as Kerry or Dublin would.
Why is it that Mayo can lose the plot so often when they appear to have the hard work done and they should be well able to close out the game. Sometimes Mayo squeak through and other times they come up short but they can often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and not the other way around.
Mayo were well-known for imploding at crucial moments long before James Horan took charge and it seems like it's going to be more of the same in the future.
I'd also have to say that we tend to underestimate the worth of our players and fail to appreciate the hard graft they put in.  Even with a seriously dysfunctional attack Mayo has been there or thereabouts for six or seven years now.
Tactical ineptitude is about the kindest remark I can pass about the buckos who have manned the sideline all those years and yet the lads keep coming back and I hope this year won't be any different to recent ones. With the little bit of luck for a change. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

regal

I just watched the highlights there. Whilst I usually support mayo in this fixture I found myself cheering for Galway on Sunday. Great for football as I can't bear to watch mayo disappointment us all later in the year. A few points:

- why do mayo keep selecting Donte Vaughan?
- cillian O'Connor is a super footballer, but he is a cheat
- Aidan O'Shea is some waste of talent
- Galway have some lovely forwards