Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 13, 2017, 04:00:41 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on June 13, 2017, 03:30:12 PM
Quote from: highorlow on June 13, 2017, 02:40:09 PM
Quotewont had the ref spotted basticks pick up

You have been going on about that too long. Get over it. There is enough footage around to show it was legal. Rochford rode his luck last year to get us to the Final and when we got their he ballsed that up. FFS Maughan was a better decision maker than him at this stage. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year but after this debacle I've lost faith in him.

Its an absolute disgrace losing to Galway. Their full backline and goalkeeper are cat and we failed to outscore them with a gale. Our midfielders are so manipulated this year to off load that they are afraid to shoot. Parsons and Seamie were always good for a long range point or so but I don't even recall a shot from them.

If one of the 5 or 6 bad decisions made on the line was corrected we would have won, i.e. playing Lee Keegan in his correct position.
Were galway to win the allireland this year i would not be suprised as its during campaigns  that teams improve, 

Well I'd be surprised. I'd be flabbergasted in fact. Don't think our back 4 can hold up against a Dublin or Kerry if we even get to play one of them. We do have players coming through though so in a couple of years then maybe. If Dublin slip back a bit once some older heads depart. Problem is then Kerry will have the Cliffords et al making the breakthrough.
i dont think galway are that far off definetly not thaat far off may should be 'Scandalized ' losing to them, . only for the choke/stutter against Tipp last year it would have been some semifinal match up. its during a season team get to fine tune who plays where in what style etc.
one of the reasons it so hard to make a breakthrough if your out quickly every year as well as that i don think 30 lads would turn down the chance to play for galway now.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

galwayman

Mayo lads - I was just thinking during the league this year that ye could do with a lad like Enda Varley in the squad.
If he didn't start he would be a decent lad to come in off the bench. Surely a better bet than Evan Regan?
He has been playing well for Vincents and while maybe a bit hot and cold, from what I've seen he's more likely to kick a few scores than anyone else on that bench.
Nothing to do with the 2 late wides on Sunday - but Regan hasn't done much any time I've seen him play for Mayo.

larryin89

Regan and loftus need game time. I've seen varley not long ago for vincents , his county days are well past him now.

Good man/woman from the bunker that's big of you , you're a credit to your county.

Personally I'm the opposite type character , I've a two fingered salute to galway , fook them.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Ballaghman

Quote from: highorlow on June 13, 2017, 02:40:09 PM
Quotewont had the ref spotted basticks pick up

You have been going on about that too long. Get over it. There is enough footage around to show it was legal. Rochford rode his luck last year to get us to the Final and when we got their he ballsed that up. FFS Maughan was a better decision maker than him at this stage. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year but after this debacle I've lost faith in him.

Its an absolute disgrace losing to Galway. Their full backline and goalkeeper are cat and we failed to outscore them with a gale. Our midfielders are so manipulated this year to off load that they are afraid to shoot. Parsons and Seamie were always good for a long range point or so but I don't even recall a shot from them.

If one of the 5 or 6 bad decisions made on the line was corrected we would have won, i.e. playing Lee Keegan in his correct position.
You're argument loses all credibility when you start laying all the blame at Rochford's door. He made some poor calls the last day without a doubt, none of the substitutions worked apart from an unfit AOS to a certain extent.
McLoughlin was one of our best forwards the last day, knock or no knock against Sligo he was clearly fit and played well. Maybe he ran out of steam and that's why he was taken off. I'd have left Andy on but it's the norm now to call him ashore after 60/65 mins. Don't agree with it because he had more in the tank the last day but a call we've seen plenty others make before.
If you can't see the single biggest reason we lost the last day was being down to 14 men then you are letting your dislike of Rochford colour your vision imo. Yes we overcame it in 2014 but that was a freaky performance. It is absolutely exhausting to play a man down for 50 minutes against a limited but more than decent Galway team. If we had 15 men I think we'd have won by a few points, that's the height of it. To be down a man against a good team was a lot to ask. Still we nearly did it because of the attitude and fight those boys have.
Galway were worth their win the last day, they used the extra men well, eventually. They hit better scores against the breeze and they managed to rile enough of our lads and put them off their game. Crucially they clearly got to Higgins. He's normally a lot cuter than that and I don't know what got into him to do that in front of the ref. I doubt he knows himself.
I'm feeling more optimistic a couple of days on. I think we're in better shape than we were this time last year and I fancy us to go on a good run yet. Unfortunately in terms of going all the way, little has changed and it will be by perspiration rather than inspiration if we do it this year. Very hard to see them doing it after Sunday I know but get on a run and anything is possible.

larryin89

Ye see its not the norm is it , yet the galway man can sit back and ridicule mayo year in year out despite the fact they themselves have been pathetic for 16 years now.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2017, 04:45:20 PM
Regan and loftus need game time. I've seen varley not long ago for vincents , his county days are well past him now.

Good man/woman from the bunker that's big of you , you're a credit to your county.

Personally I'm the opposite type character , I've a two fingered salute to galway , fook them.

Thanks (I suppose!).

highorlow

Ballaghman like it or not the buck stops at the man at the top and that's Rochford.

I said it a few times here before that our lads have discipline issues, Keegan, O,Connor, SOS all have past history and in particular this is down to niggley opponents. How did the management overlook this problem? It should have been expected that Galway would be niggly and we should be mature enough not to let it get to us.

Putting that to one side we were still in control of the match with 14 and yet again Rochford blew it with idiotic substitutions and a complete lack of control. You said yourself none of the substitutions worked, it was SR that made them.

He should have left andy on and put Aidan into FF and they would have done damage. But that's probably too simple for SR.

p.s. what the hell is that secondary warm up we are doing like mad b**tards just before the throw in at each half when the other team have taken their positions? Is that some sort of sports science bullshit ? It looks too me to be causing slow starts to each half, same crack in the Sligo game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Dubhaltach

Quote from: moysider on June 13, 2017, 12:22:26 AM
Quote from: DJGaliv on June 12, 2017, 11:56:44 PM
It had an impact but it was of your own doing. I don't think Mayo players will be saying today if it wasn't for that sending off. They'll know they didn't do enough to win that game when it was there for either team.

You were gobsmacked by jh analysis about Mayo not being of required pace or intensity. Well I don't think they were.
If Comer had hit O'Connor like that in 2013, Mayo lads would have buried him. There was no reaction. The Mayo I've seen regularly at the business end didn't seem to be there. Durcan had a bad wide when he came off the shoulder a la Lee Keegan. They just didn't click when they looked like they might and needed to!
The challenge of going down to 14 is something Mayo lads would normally relish.

Comer wasn't there in 2013 and it was a fair hit anyway. The only concern at that stage was a score anyway.
Durcan should never have taken that shot off his weaker foot.
Yeah, this team played their best half of football in drawn semi v Kerry a few years ago with 14 men and were ultimately let down at the death by a sideline that must have had a brain freeze.
Now I know you will probably take this as a criticism but I don't think there is any Div. 1 team that would have fancied going into Salthill yesterday against Galway, in pretty good shape, in probably the worst conditions I've seen for a Championship game. Even before the throw-in Padraig Joyce acknowledged that Galway were used to playing in windy conditions there.
I see some Galway posters are hurting about lack of credit for the win. Not so. They got the Prodigal Son stuff in the few bits I read anyway. On the other hand Mayo are carved up again for losing. Will the loser of Tyrone/Donegal be dismissed as readily?
In other provinces, Dublin and Kerry are fattening up on Carlows and Clares. Hardly lion's den stuff - which Salthill yesterday was.
Saying that we have issues. Keegan should be at 5, Boyle should always be in the team and discipline isn't great. That's just for starters.

Ya, shot selection, knowing when to lay it off and who to lay it off to is something that is killing us. Paddy is a very accurate kicker when he has time to line up a shot but can be wasteful when shooting on the run. He has serious pace but needs to lay it off a bit more imo. A great goal opportunity was also butchered against Sligo when he didn't offload it.

Similar story with Kirby's goal chance the last day. While it was a great stop by Johnny Heaney, both Cillian and Diarmuid were free in an acre of space had he looked up.

In the last few minutes, we needed to get Cillian on the ball. He was screaming for it at the very end but Doc gave the ball to the inexperienced Regan instead. Don't want to be harsh on lads who are putting in a serious effort but it's our inability to take these kind of opportunities that has ultimately prevented the team from getting over the line. We need our runners to get the ball to Cillian and Andy more often.

Jinxy

I'd say probably five of Meath's six starting forwards against Louth the last day would be faster than the fastest forward starting for Mayo against Galway.
It's frankly staggering that Mayo are so competitive year-on-year despite the total lack of pace up front.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you need to transplant speed into that forward line from the half-back line.
You'd have to start during the league though, too late now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

blast05

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 13, 2017, 11:34:00 PM
An thoughts on this?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/galway-cut-off-supply-one-mayo-player-responsible-126518

Its started off with nonsense about the 1,2,3 .... the reality is the #1 needs to drive on and draw the first man. Mayos #1 didn't drive on.
The rest though is excellent (Seamus O'Shea facts very revealing) and finally we are getting someone willing to at least look at the real rationale behind Clarke being dropped for the replay last year:

"Perhaps the Hennelly/Clarke debate is more complex than it seems."

I've previously said that we won't beat Dublin without Clarke but equally we won't beat them with him. I fear that argument needs to be extended to a few more counties as more teams structure their game to challenge him. The ultimate irony i feel is that if Hennelly was playing the last day v Galway, then given the wind factor on kickouts we would have won

QuoteI'd say probably five of Meath's six starting forwards against Louth the last day would be faster than the fastest forward starting for Mayo against Galway.
It's frankly staggering that Mayo are so competitive year-on-year despite the total lack of pace up front.

By far and away its the single biggest problem we have. If COC and his brother and one or 2 more in the forward line had real pace, then Sam would have visited once or twice by now. Can we borrow yee're sprint coach ?

macdanger2

An thoughts on this?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/galway-cut-off-supply-one-mayo-player-responsible-126518

Interesting analysis and at least he's making an effort to analyse the game and generate talking points based on facts.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with it all,  particularly regarding kick outs - galway having an extra man allowed them to go man to man on ours while retaining a sweeper.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2017, 12:03:18 AM
An thoughts on this?

Interesting analysis and at least he's making an effort to analyse the game and generate talking points based on facts.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with it all,  particularly regarding kick outs - galway having an extra man allowed them to go man to man on ours while retaining a sweeper.

There's a tendency for analysts trying to make names for themselves to indulge in over-analysis.

The game on Sunday was most effected by the sending off and most problems Mayo faced and indeed the reason for Galway actually won rippled outward from that single event. It makes a lot of the praise of Galway's apparent physicality and tactics ring a little untrue.