All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: INDIANA on October 03, 2016, 10:53:25 PM
Quote from: ashman on October 03, 2016, 10:51:05 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on October 03, 2016, 09:46:28 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2016, 08:05:34 PM
I wonder how Stephen Coen will deal with the intense media pressure that he will come under after him taking Diarmuid Connolly out of Lee Keegans pocket with the black card and placing him firmly into his own. Cant be at that Stephen. This lad has to be able express himself. So was it pulling and dragging or can Connolly actually be marked

Connolly has 4 all Ireland medals, four leagues etc etc. You can continue spouting boll0x all you want but Coen, Keegan et all are no nearer winning an all Ireland than they / you ever were. Suck it up stop talking sh1te and try to lose with a bit of graciousness. Who knows it might be the making of Mayo in years to come.

The haters will always hate. And fcuk me bar the odd exception this site is full of them. It does truly make our success all the sweeter.

Now I'm off to see where Sam will be later in the week for a further bit of celebrating a special team and special bunch of players. Good luck!

Will you stop this utterly pathetic "haters gotta hate " crap .  Ye won another all Ireland in a competition when every dice is loaded in ye're favour .  A few decision might and might not have went ye're way . Most people were hoping to see Mayo win due to the fact they were 65 years without a win. If Dublin hurlers say we're playing Tipp in a final most would love to see them win.

Your "suck it up" & "makes it sweeter " makes you look a pathetic gloater .  Remember the dice is bloody loaded .

It's not loaded at all. You wouldn't have known Dublin were playing last saturday in 80 percent of the city

And the 65 years......back to back statistic in 3,2,.......

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

In fairness there was no shortage of Laois folk in Dublin jerseys shouting at the telly in my local on Saturday evening, 3 generations of Laois folk in some cases.

INDIANA

Quote from: ballinaman on October 03, 2016, 10:59:54 PM
I wonder how Stephen Coen will deal with the intense media pressure that he will come under after him taking Diarmuid Connolly out of Lee Keegans pocket with the black card and placing him firmly into his own. Cant be at that Stephen. This lad has to be able express himself. So was it pulling and dragging or can Connolly actually be marked

Connolly has 4 all Ireland medals, four leagues etc etc. You can continue spouting boll0x all you want but Coen, Keegan et all are no nearer winning an all Ireland than they / you ever were. Suck it up stop talking sh1te and try to lose with a bit of graciousness. Who knows it might be the making of Mayo in years to come.

The haters will always hate. And fcuk me bar the odd exception this site is full of them. It does truly make our success all the sweeter.

Now I'm off to see where Sam will be later in the week for a further bit of celebrating a special team and special bunch of players. Good luck!

Will you stop this utterly pathetic "haters gotta hate " crap .  Ye won another all Ireland in a competition when every dice is loaded in ye're favour .  A few decision might and might not have went ye're way . Most people were hoping to see Mayo win due to the fact they were 65 years without a win. If Dublin hurlers say we're playing Tipp in a final most would love to see them win.

Your "suck it up" & "makes it sweeter " makes you look a pathetic gloater .  Remember the dice is bloody loaded .

It's not loaded at all. You wouldn't have known Dublin were playing last saturday in 80 percent of the city

And the 65 years......back to back statistic in 3,2,.......

Well you blew back to back all irelands in the space of two weeks. Is that the statistic your referring to?

ashman

Ah come on .  I know soccer and rugby are huge and big in Dublin but you can be sure most with an interest in sport were glued.  The Dublin team get players from all over and across all classes .  Ballymun to Cuala/Kilmacud .  That is ROCK and his son in demographics .  There are 5 potential all Ireland club winners in Dublin .  The clubs are all well resourced . They have some of Europes best sports science facilities in DCU.  All the players live in the county.  The GAA provide big money in grants.   Then there is the massive sponsorship deals.  All games in croke park .  Btw I don't begrudge Dublin that .  They are doing what is best but don't kid yourself that Dublin don't have every metric in their favour.

ballinaman

Quote from: INDIANA on October 03, 2016, 11:10:32 PM
Well you blew back to back all irelands in the space of two weeks. Is that the statistic your referring to?
Does thinking that make the win more enjoyable for you?

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on October 03, 2016, 10:46:41 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 10:04:08 PM
NetNitrate .... you know the intent of that rule is to deal with the 3rd man tackle.
And Keegan did not "deliberately collide" with him.

My frustration with the episode is with Deegan (and Connolly for doing a soccer esque on it in looking for a card) for looking to have changed his mind after Connolly gave him a lecture, i.e.: as previously mentioned, Deegan first indicated a jersey bull but after the lecture he indicated a pull down movement. Keegan, if anything, was too innocent in that moment in that he should have jumped in and shoved Connolly and made it clear to Deegan that Connolly went to ground of his own volition (i.e.: dived).

Anyway, its one incident. Bar that, i would be 100% looking in the mirror to explain why we lost .....but its hard to move on from it immediately given the influence from the ex-Dublin players in the week leading up to the match

No different to your own fans leading the charge against Connolly. Only so much whingeing can explain your complete inability as a county to produce top class forwards.

Weak Indiana and you know it. For all the top class forwards ye have it was a one point difference over 160 minutes. Blue chip players like Brogan, McMenamon, Andrews and Mannion struggled to make a mark when started over the 2 games. Some had joy when coming on when there is a bit of sorting out  by defences about who is doing what.
The difference for me was that Dublin are more clinical. Remember Galvin has been there a few years and everything is well oiled. We were coming into the year with a new management and trying different things and not everything worked out but a lot did as well. We did not have a 'process' to the extent Dublin had. Andy kicking crosses for example should not be happening.
Dublin also made sure they were never extended at the back. There was always numbers back so that quick counter attacks could not happen and the long ball option was never likely to get much joy. This AI for Dublin was about pragmatism, process and patience rather than scoring forwards.
I'd take that though. Enjoy the win.

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on October 03, 2016, 07:43:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 06:58:01 PM
At the start of the season the management would have picked their number 1 keeper. There is very little between them as shot stoppers, Clarke is probably better coming off his line, but Hennelly is a lot better with his kicks.

Hennelly was then dropped for a couple of bad kickout towards the end of the Galway game, one crucial kick led to the goal. I always felt this was very harsh and would undermine Hennelly's confidence.

Clarke was then put in. Clarke had some very good big moments in games, but made errors that he wasn't making in years past. In the drawn game he made some daft decisions and was very lucky to get away with them. He also kicked poorly.

Many of us were debating the keeper switch in the days between the two matches. Personally I felt that the switch was to late in the season, as it would be hard to know where Hennelly's form was after Beijing dropped and not having played, and that by undermining Clarke at this late stage of the season, we could go from to great keepers to two keepers badly out of form.

However, Rochford and the management had the benefit of seeing both players in training and were in a far better position to assess confidence, form, kickouts etc, than bullshit artists like Joe Brolly. 

It coulldn't have been anticipated that Hennelly would have his worst performance from the tee and generally, in his entire Mayo career.

So in my opinion the switch was no big surprise after Clarke's performance in the drawn game, but with hindsight we all know better now.

I'm not going to list Hennellys mistakes during big games down through the years but I'm sure Mayo lads can easily think of the majority of them. It's quite a long list for lads who don't know BTW.
This history combined without having kicked a ball since May makes the decision a kamikaze one.
He could have been flawless in training but repeated mistakes in big games shouldn't have been overlooked.

Sticking the knife into Hennelly, while not mentioning anything about why he was even considered for the reply, isn't very balanced, is it?

We somehow went from a situation where we had two top goalkeepers, to one where arguably errors from each of them stopped us from winning an All-Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

Thy Kingdom Come

Enjoyed the Mayo/Dublin saga the last couple of weeks! Dublin's dominance continues. They will not be touched in Leinster for a long time. The League is just a hobby and the AI's a just rolling in. Mayo and my own Kerry are in decline. Kerry are nearly dead and Mayo are just dyeing slowly and for their fans it will be a slow agonising death. Croke Park is Dublins fortress now! The practice games in Croker during the league bring them on leaps and bounds come the Summer. They have really got their act together at every level. They even have a strong media presence and the campaign on Keegan was well planned and orchestrated. It worked a treat. Mayo had little or no media presence to counter act it. Deegan fell for it hook line and sinker.  Brolly stung Mayo in the lead up to 2012 (with cynical) and our Mafia got into place in 2014 (with Streetwise). (So Called) Good/Great teams get leeway compared to their opponents. Media controls everything now, Venues, Player profiles and even the rules of the game. The Referee and linemen pulled out of big decisions on Saturday evening. There was a few token calls, but that is all they were. They feared making the real big decisions as they might end up scrutinised by a righteous media.

I'd find the Mayo losing another AI stuff hilarious except they are the closest at present to this GAA Headquarters created team. And when you have Mayo as the main threat to dominance, you are in trouble.

In conclusion, we have a well organised Dublin team with loads of money, set up with jobs, playing all their important games at home, with huge investment in their structures and no end to it all.

Then again there are the Kerry Minors of the last 3 years!

yellowcard

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 03, 2016, 11:56:15 PM
Enjoyed the Mayo/Dublin saga the last couple of weeks! Dublin's dominance continues. They will not be touched in Leinster for a long time. The League is just a hobby and the AI's a just rolling in. Mayo and my own Kerry are in decline. Kerry are nearly dead and Mayo are just dyeing slowly and for their fans it will be a slow agonising death. Croke Park is Dublins fortress now! The practice games in Croker during the league bring them on leaps and bounds come the Summer. They have really got their act together at every level. They even have a strong media presence and the campaign on Keegan was well planned and orchestrated. It worked a treat. Mayo had little or no media presence to counter act it. Deegan fell for it hook line and sinker.  Brolly stung Mayo in the lead up to 2012 (with cynical) and our Mafia got into place in 2014 (with Streetwise). (So Called) Good/Great teams get leeway compared to their opponents. Media controls everything now, Venues, Player profiles and even the rules of the game. The Referee and linemen pulled out of big decisions on Saturday evening. There was a few token calls, but that is all they were. They feared making the real big decisions as they might end up scrutinised by a righteous media.

I'd find the Mayo losing another AI stuff hilarious except they are the closest at present to this GAA Headquarters created team. And when you have Mayo as the main threat to dominance, you are in trouble.

In conclusion, we have a well organised Dublin team with loads of money, set up with jobs, playing all their important games at home, with huge investment in their structures and no end to it all.

So bitter towards Dublin and so condescending towards Mayo is that post.

ashman

The Keegan black card was self inflicted and had nothing to do with the media .

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: yellowcard on October 04, 2016, 12:02:53 AM

So bitter towards Dublin and so condescending towards Mayo is that post.

Bitter/Condescending - I was praising both teams! Well i was praising Dublin and I was advising Mayo! Same difference!

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: ashman on October 04, 2016, 12:06:50 AM
The Keegan black card was self inflicted and had nothing to do with the media .

You just go tell us that. Of course Jim Galvin heard nothing during the week about Keegan either.  ;)

moysider

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 11:50:31 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 03, 2016, 07:43:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 06:58:01 PM
At the start of the season the management would have picked their number 1 keeper. There is very little between them as shot stoppers, Clarke is probably better coming off his line, but Hennelly is a lot better with his kicks.

Hennelly was then dropped for a couple of bad kickout towards the end of the Galway game, one crucial kick led to the goal. I always felt this was very harsh and would undermine Hennelly's confidence.

Clarke was then put in. Clarke had some very good big moments in games, but made errors that he wasn't making in years past. In the drawn game he made some daft decisions and was very lucky to get away with them. He also kicked poorly.

Many of us were debating the keeper switch in the days between the two matches. Personally I felt that the switch was to late in the season, as it would be hard to know where Hennelly's form was after Beijing dropped and not having played, and that by undermining Clarke at this late stage of the season, we could go from to great keepers to two keepers badly out of form.

However, Rochford and the management had the benefit of seeing both players in training and were in a far better position to assess confidence, form, kickouts etc, than bullshit artists like Joe Brolly. 

It coulldn't have been anticipated that Hennelly would have his worst performance from the tee and generally, in his entire Mayo career.

So in my opinion the switch was no big surprise after Clarke's performance in the drawn game, but with hindsight we all know better now.

I'm not going to list Hennellys mistakes during big games down through the years but I'm sure Mayo lads can easily think of the majority of them. It's quite a long list for lads who don't know BTW.
This history combined without having kicked a ball since May makes the decision a kamikaze one.
He could have been flawless in training but repeated mistakes in big games shouldn't have been overlooked.

Sticking the knife into Hennelly, while not mentioning anything about why he was even considered for the reply, isn't very balanced, is it?

We somehow went from a situation where we had two top goalkeepers, to one where arguably errors from each of them stopped us from winning an All-Ireland.

I doubt anybody is sticking knives into anybody Muppet.
I don t think the goalkeeping thing was even close except that Clarke's and O Malley's injuries meant that Hennelly was the man in position for a number of years.

True, Clarkie had a bad wobble in drawn game (Cluxton had one as well v Kerry). It was after an hour + of concentration when the players in front of him were also a bit gassed and maybe not able to show as well as they were earlier. Remember also Seamie had a costly melt down in drawn game and had a miller in replay. Surely the wise thing to do was work with Clarke over the 2 weeks. Even after being dropped he had a serious cut at the penalty and played well when he came on.

Croke Park is a serious cauldron in an AI final and to throw a lad in there that was dropped months ago for being iffy was not wise to say the least. Everybody else went through the build up of intensity from quarters, semis and drawn game. To do that to a keeper was taking a hell of a risk and while some might call it ballsy, it was reckless.

ZeitChrist

That's definitely one of the biggest piles of bollocks I've read in a while.

muppet

I said above I wouldn't have changed Clarke, and I gave the reasons for that, but it was a close call.
MWWSI 2017