All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: yellowcard on September 10, 2017, 11:04:22 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 10, 2017, 09:31:45 PM
Mayo by 2 followed by a huge pitch invasion! Should be some battle at HQ. Colm Boyle MotM and wins PotY!

If Mayo win it and DONT invade the pitch following an outpouring of emotion it will be a sad day for the GAA. Couldn't believe the sanity of the Galway fans in the hurling final.

The way the pitch is ringed by security and formation of seats is near impossible to invade. Was at the hurling final, was no doubt about the emotion of the Galway supporters...

Mayo4Sam14

Mayo by 2 followed by a huge pitch invasion! Should be some battle at HQ. Colm Boyle MotM and wins PotY!

If Mayo win it and DONT invade the pitch following an outpouring of emotion it will be a sad day for the GAA. Couldn't believe the sanity of the Galway fans in the hurling final.

Ive been planning to for every final since 2012, was literally at the gate at the end of the drawn final last year. If mayo win they can try and bleddy stop me
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Captain Obvious

I would never,ever place cash on Mayo to win a senior All Ireland final but with Fearon now giving Dublin the kiss of death i am very tempted to put money on Mayo to win this final.

GalwayBayBoy

I was against the pitch invasion ban at first but I actually think it's much better for the players now that they are not mauled by bucklepping yahoos straight after the final whistle so can enjoy it amongst each other, the backroom staff and their families.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 11, 2017, 02:03:33 AM

I was against the pitch invasion ban at first but I actually think it's much better for the players now that they are not mauled by bucklepping yahoos straight after the final whistle so can enjoy it amongst each other, the backroom staff and their families.

Did you see what it meant to the Roscommon players in Salthill being lifted shoulder high by the supporters? Probably one of the indelible images of summer 2017. Moments like that are primal, and are the very essence of what the GAA is - it's not just about the team or the management, it's about the community they come from that that supports them too. In those moments everyone is one big family.

Ye robbed yer county of an even greater moment by not invading the pitch, but honestly no one was surprised that Galway supporters wouldn't do it. For all their flaws I doubt Mayo supporters would make the same mistake.

Rossfan

[/quote
Agree. Players need a bit of space to celebrate etc.
Let the buckleppin  yahoos in 10 minutes later if necessary.
Most of the pitch invaders were ever at a NFL game in their lives
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on September 11, 2017, 02:23:49 AM

All well and good and understandable in the euphoria of victory but is it worth the risk of serious injury to even one person. There is a safety reason for the ban on pitch invasions.

Did you see what it meant to the Roscommon players in Salthill being lifted shoulder high by the supporters? Probably one of the indelible images of summer 2017. Moments like that are primal, and are the very essence of what the GAA is - it's not just about the team or the management, it's about the community they come from that that supports them too. In those moments everyone is one big family.

Ye robbed yer county of an even greater moment by not invading the pitch, but honestly no one was surprised that Galway supporters wouldn't do it. For all their flaws I doubt Mayo supporters would make the same mistake.

yellowcard

Don't agree with that at all. It's all part of the gradual sanitisation of society to make us conform. This article by Danny Hughes sums up how I feel about it.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2017/09/06/news/danny-hughes-let-gaa-players-share-the-glory-with-their-people-on-the-hallowed-croke-park-pitch-1129026/

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2017, 02:48:42 AM

[/quote
Agree. Players need a bit of space to celebrate etc.
Let the buckleppin  yahoos in 10 minutes later if necessary.
Most of the pitch invaders were ever at a NFL game in their lives

do you want to restrict the final to those who go to NFL games . There would be about 35000 there sunday and thats only because its mayo Dublin . if it was Kerry tyrone the crowd would be closer to 15K

come on come all
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Syf please explain on the back of a fag packet what is inherently Galway about not invading the pitch. Something to do with notions of manliness , I presume. Softness maybe. Too many shopping centres.

The indelible image for me of the summer was scaoil amach an bobailin at 4.55 pm on Sunday 3 Sept

You probably don't even know what it means. It means primus inter pares. All Ireland senior champions. Not candy ass provincial quarter final cannon fodder.

Lil Louis might be before your time a maneen

https://youtu.be/3Y8w2W1uy2A

Rossfan

So it's a given then that Mayowestros will win and the only issue to be resolved is can they be proper Champions if the buckleppin yahoo element of their support don't invade the pitch and disrupt the presentation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

All very valid points, Syf and I know many others would feel the same way as you but the reality is that the GAA must move with the times.  Compensationitis is endemic in our society and the loolas who charge onto the field without regard for life or limb  will be the first ones to contact a solicitor if they receive a knock or get discommoded in any way.
At the time the pitch invasions were outlawed, the GAA announced that the ban was being introduced for legal reasons. My take on it is that if you charge onto the pitch like a runaway bull you do so at your own peril.
It would be bad enough getting injured in the mad melee but being sued by a fellow laitcheko for damages, real or imagined, caused by your exuberance is very possible.
With regard to Mayo supporters "making the same mistake," my feeling is that, since we've waited so long to win the damn Sam, I would be happy to wait a few days longer to congratulate the players, preferably back in Mayo.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

How many peilople have been injured in a pitch invasion. Ever.

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 10, 2017, 10:31:29 PM
I'd like to see Durcan starting at wing forward to mark Mccaffrey, I think he's a key part of setting up Dublin attacks and Durcan is the only man with the pace to match him. That would mean either DOC dropping to the bench or him potentially going to MF to mark Mccarthy in place of SOS but that's probably unlikely
I would guess that careful consideration is being given to whether to retain both DOC and SOS in the starting line-up.

Diarmuid has been a bit hit and miss this year, but you'd have to imagine he'd make a massive impact off the bench.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 12:19:04 PM
How many peilople have been injured in a pitch invasion. Ever.

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .
You arr missing the point.
Corporate GAA decided to ban pitch invasions because of the fear of litigation if someone sustained injuries while running onto the pitch and/or acting the buck eejit while on it. The hike in insurance premiums had to be taken into account also.
As I see it, you may sue or be sued in the event of injuries sustained during an invasion but the GAA can't be held responsible for whatever transpires if you lep the fence.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi