Best gaelic football players from the weaker counties over the last 25 years?

Started by Smell the glove, December 02, 2008, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeanPháidín

Smell the Glove

Tony Boyle? Are you havin a laugh? 2 Ulster, an All-Ireland and played in at least 2 league finals. How did he come to play for a weaker county?

Maroon Heaven

Lar Giles, John Fleming and Spike Fagan from my own County would have got into most County teams...

Lar Giles played his club football for Kinnegad but was born a  7 iron away from the Westmeath Border in Co. Meath.

I know he never would regret it - but Larry would most certainly have had a few All-Irelands in hs pocket if he had opted for the Green of the Royals

full back

Quote from: hardstation on December 05, 2008, 04:08:52 PM
Some of the personal abuse directed at smell the glove, on this thread, really should be investigated by the mods.

:o

lynchbhoy

ExiledGael

Seen Donegal v Tipperary a few years back in Croke Park, curtainraiser to Dubs v Armagh, and was stunned by Tipp number 14. Better than any performance that day and most since. Had to consult the programme but Declan Browne was as good as any player I've seen.
Maybe bar Peter than I've seen in the flesh.

heffo

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 05, 2008, 05:22:43 PM
Seen Donegal v Tipperary a few years back in Croke Park, curtainraiser to Dubs v Armagh, and was stunned by Tipp number 14. Better than any performance that day and most since. Had to consult the programme but Declan Browne was as good as any player I've seen.
Maybe bar Peter than I've seen in the flesh.

He did win an All-star five years before that game so it wasn't as if he was an unknown..

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Tipp had a couple of other decent footballers - not just declan browne

peter lambert and those big midfielders from the mid 90's

Aidan okeeffe - an clar
simon rea - carlow
kevin obrien, fergus daly, pat o'byrne - wicklow
john costello -laois
finbarr cullen, pete brady, vinny claffey - offaly
spike fagan, dessie - westmeath
john doyle, dermot early jr, glen ryan - kildare

but I suppose Larry Reilly (Cavan) beats them all ! ;)

Maroon Heaven

I see Simon Rea of Carlow mentioned above... I don't see Johnny Nevin Mentioned yet...

I still would not be surprised to see Johnny Nevin on a Carlow teamsheet. He was one of those players who played for ever. Marked him myself a few times over the years and was always great player to go up against.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on December 06, 2008, 09:16:35 AM
I see Simon Rea of Carlow mentioned above... I don't see Johnny Nevin Mentioned yet...

I still would not be surprised to see Johnny Nevin on a Carlow teamsheet. He was one of those players who played for ever. Marked him myself a few times over the years and was always great player to go up against.
nevin , a carlow great and a dual star, imo though not good enough for a mention as one of the best of the best.
a lot of the eire og contingent woul dbe as good as nevin. again imo

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Off the top of me head, from the last 15 years or so, most of these are All Stars or nominees:

Anthony Tohill
Kieran McKeever
Tony Scullion
Damian McCusker
Brian McGilligan
Enda Gormley
Joe Brolly
Sean Marty Lockhart
Enda Muldoon
Paddy Bradley
Fergal Doherty

Martin McHugh
Tony Boyle
Manus Boyle
James McHugh
Declan Bonner
Anthony Molloy
Brendan Devenny
Kevin Cassidy
Rory Kavanagh

Kieran McGeeney
John McEntee
Tony McEntee
Diarmuid Marsden
Paul McGrane
Oisin McConville
Ronan Clarke
Stevie McDonnell
Francie Bellew
Andy Mallon

Weaker counties?  ::)  (not to mention Dublin etc.)

The Forfeit Point

dessie barry was as good a goal scorer as you could get in the late 80's early 90s

carribbear

mylestheslasher

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 06, 2008, 08:39:34 AM
Tipp had a couple of other decent footballers - not just declan browne

peter lambert and those big midfielders from the mid 90's

Aidan okeeffe - an clar
simon rea - carlow
kevin obrien, fergus daly, pat o'byrne - wicklow
john costello -laois
finbarr cullen, pete brady, vinny claffey - offaly
spike fagan, dessie - westmeath
john doyle, dermot early jr, glen ryan - kildare

but I suppose Larry Reilly (Cavan) beats them all ! ;)

Word on the street is that Larry is not done yet!

BTW - what is a weak county anyway. I remember about 4-5 years ago Cavan played Derry in the back door of the championship. The game was fixed for Celtic park because Derry were the weak team.