All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2014, 08:01:56 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 21, 2014, 07:58:46 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 21, 2014, 03:11:52 PM
Jaysus Martin Carney and that finger!!!

Kerry by 2 in a horrible game of football!
Close...

Farr, Hefo and AZ taking "delight" in a Kerry win. Sort yourselves out lads will ye, sake.

Why? I am delighted for them and their freakishly long arms. It's probably the weight of carrying Sam around all the time 😄
Delight though? Really? I could only reserve the feeling of delight for a big win for my own county (as rare as that is before you say it  ;))

I'm ambivalent to Kerry's win today..much the same if the Yankees or the Pats win another Super Bowl..

If you make a mistake as big as Durcan did today you are unlikely to win at this stage of the season by the way in my opinion..,

J70

Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 07:38:08 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:17:30 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 07:13:16 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 05:13:06 PM
BJ Keane, f**k you you little worm.

Did a Donegal player not do something similar in the Semi final? Sideline ball or free to Dublin and ran off out of play with the ball in the last couple of minutes?

Don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it. Did he run ten yards to kick it away?

Ran about 50 yards away with the ball out of play. Did Donegal not do the same in the Qtr final v Armagh, Armagh chasing the game and they deliberately kicked the match ball out of play up into row z of the Hogan?

I'd say Keane got a few ideas when they were watching the video analysis of Donegal

Again, I don't know what incident you're talking about from Dublin game. Its not even clear from your description what happened: did he carry on running with the ball after it had gone out of play?

As for McBrearty against Armagh, first, it was instinctive: the ball dropped right where he was standing. Second, I'm on record on that thread for calling his act idiotic. He was correctly punished, and his punishment nearly gifted Armagh the draw when the ball was moved  closer in towards the goal, instead of it being a sideline ball.

Sorry I'll try and be clearer, this is from memory as I havent watched any replays or highlights of the game.

Near the end of the Dublin game with Dublin trying to get a goal they were awarded a free or sideline ball. With the ball out of play, a Donegal player grabbed the ball and ran off with. It was exactly the same as Keane doing what he did except it wasted more time.

Coupled with the Armagh time wasting, it's looks a little hypocritical of you to complain.

No, it would be hypocritical if I condoned what McBrearty did. I didn't.

But... my words about Keane were probably a little strong under what were emotional circumstances.

So were agreed that Donegal are quite happy to do the exact same as what Keane did today then

Like I said, I do not recall a Donegal player first thinking about it and then running in and kicking the ball away like that. I don't recall ANY other player doing something so blatant. But time wasting, gamesmanship etc., yeah, they all do it.

heffo

Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 08:11:27 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 07:38:08 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:17:30 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 07:13:16 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2014, 05:13:06 PM
BJ Keane, f**k you you little worm.

Did a Donegal player not do something similar in the Semi final? Sideline ball or free to Dublin and ran off out of play with the ball in the last couple of minutes?

Don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it. Did he run ten yards to kick it away?

Ran about 50 yards away with the ball out of play. Did Donegal not do the same in the Qtr final v Armagh, Armagh chasing the game and they deliberately kicked the match ball out of play up into row z of the Hogan?

I'd say Keane got a few ideas when they were watching the video analysis of Donegal

Again, I don't know what incident you're talking about from Dublin game. Its not even clear from your description what happened: did he carry on running with the ball after it had gone out of play?

As for McBrearty against Armagh, first, it was instinctive: the ball dropped right where he was standing. Second, I'm on record on that thread for calling his act idiotic. He was correctly punished, and his punishment nearly gifted Armagh the draw when the ball was moved  closer in towards the goal, instead of it being a sideline ball.

Sorry I'll try and be clearer, this is from memory as I havent watched any replays or highlights of the game.

Near the end of the Dublin game with Dublin trying to get a goal they were awarded a free or sideline ball. With the ball out of play, a Donegal player grabbed the ball and ran off with. It was exactly the same as Keane doing what he did except it wasted more time.

Coupled with the Armagh time wasting, it's looks a little hypocritical of you to complain.

No, it would be hypocritical if I condoned what McBrearty did. I didn't.

But... my words about Keane were probably a little strong under what were emotional circumstances.

So were agreed that Donegal are quite happy to do the exact same as what Keane did today then

Like I said, I do not recall a Donegal player first thinking about it and then running in and kicking the ball away like that. I don't recall ANY other player doing something so blatant. But time wasting, gamesmanship etc., yeah, they all do it.

Have a look at the match again. Keane got great pointers from the Armagh & Dublin games. You've no right to be outraged.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on September 21, 2014, 08:10:10 PM

Close...

Farr, Hefo and AZ taking "delight" in a Kerry win. Sort yourselves out lads will ye, sake.

Why? I am delighted for them and their freakishly long arms. It's probably the weight of carrying Sam around all the time 😄
Delight though? Really? I could only reserve the feeling of delight for a big win for my own county (as rare as that is before you say it  ;))

I'm ambivalent to Kerry's win today..much the same if the Yankees or the Pats win another Super Bowl..

If you make a mistake as big as Durcan did today you are unlikely to win at this stage of the season by the way in my opinion..,

Yes. Delighted "for" them. Delighted for my wife, in laws and friends down there.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2014, 08:18:15 PM

Close...

Yes. Delighted "for" them. Delighted for my wife, in laws and friends down there.
Hmmm...maybe I've just a heart of stone...

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2014, 08:06:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 21, 2014, 07:19:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2014, 07:09:46 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 21, 2014, 07:01:49 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 21, 2014, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2014, 06:37:53 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 21, 2014, 06:22:51 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2014, 05:57:24 PM
Worst AI in history IMO. Even worse then 2003 and 2004.

Just curious, did you watch on RTE?

I was at the match and largely agree with Indy. It was better than any washout but the standard was really poor for an AI final. Dublin and Mayo will be sick as dogs after watching the level of performance that was required to win this year's final.

Kerry have learnt their Ulster lesson mentally but their execution still leaves a lot to be desired. I suppose it's something to work on for next year.

So it's a given that Dublin or Mayo would have performed better? How so?
The game was sore on the eye because of the ultra defensive game plan Donegal use.
If Mayo had reached the final they would have had to either play open football and the chances are got ate up by Donegal or met fire with fire resulting in what we witnessed today.
If it was a Dublin Mayo final or a Dublin Kerry final I'm sure it could have been a classic with much more open attacking football.
Kerry done what they had to do to beat the 'monster'.

Spot on. Donegal force other teams to ape their style of play and when other teams do we get awful games, if they don't we can get good games which Donegal win. To beat them your best chance is to ape them.

QuoteKerry have been aping Donegal's system all year.  Since Fitzmaurice took over he's been remodelling Kerry as a southern Ulster team that leaves 8 or 9 men back at all times and regularly operates with a single isolated FF.

They are just as defensive as Donegal, indeed looking at their team-sheet they need that system more than Donegal do to paper over talent gaps at key positions.

Today's entertainment was caused by two very defensive teams parking a bus in front of each other and being clueless as to how to unlock the opposition. Someone had to win but we're all losers for having to watch two teams excute that poorly.

Nonsense. Every team is now more aware defensively and get bodies back in an organised way but nobody is as defensive as Donegal but to beat them you unfortunately have to mirror them. If Dublin or Mayo were  playing Kerry today they would have played the game very differently.

'Nonsense'. Kerry sat a lot of men deep against Mayo both days and there isn't a snowball's chance they'd have opened up wide and shipped the hammering Dublin would have given them for being that naive had they met today. Kerry are one of the most defensive teams in the country right now, up there with Tyrone and Donegal, albeit not as good at it as those teams were at their peaks.

You saw last years semi final between Dublin and Kerry I presume? Of course Kerry are more tactically astute and have a defensive system that isn't simply each man marking hi opponent but to suggest they are like Donegal is patent nonsense. Donegal force you to be negative, if Kerry were playing Dublin or Mayo they would have been far more attacking. You can't do that against Donegal and expect to be successful, bar perhaps blitzing them early. Having 8 or 9 players back in your defence at times isn't hyper defensive football but playing like Donegal is and Kerry were forced to do that today.

I was at the match and largely agree with Indy. It was better than any washout but the standard was really poor for an AI final. Dublin and Mayo will be sick as dogs after watching the level of performance that was required to win this year's final.

Kerry have learnt their Ulster lesson mentally but their execution still leaves a lot to be desired. I suppose it's something to work on for next year.

The game was sore on the eye because of the ultra defensive game plan Donegal use.
If Mayo had reached the final they would have had to either play open football and the chances are got ate up by Donegal or met fire with fire resulting in what we witnessed today.
If it was a Dublin Mayo final or a Dublin Kerry final I'm sure it could have been a classic with much more open attacking football.

Spot on. Donegal force other teams to ape their style of play and when other teams do we get awful games, if they don't we can get good games which Donegal win. To beat them your best chance is to ape them.

QuoteKerry have been aping Donegal's system all year.  Since Fitzmaurice took over he's been remodelling Kerry as a southern Ulster team that leaves 8 or 9 men back at all times and regularly operates with a single isolated FF.

They are just as defensive as Donegal, indeed looking at their team-sheet they need that system more than Donegal do to paper over talent gaps at key positions.

Today's entertainment was caused by two very defensive teams parking a bus in front of each other and being clueless as to how to unlock the opposition. Someone had to win but we're all losers for having to watch two teams excute that poorly.

Nonsense. Every team is now more aware defensively and get bodies back in an organised way but nobody is as defensive as Donegal but to beat them you unfortunately have to mirror them. If Dublin or Mayo were  playing Kerry today they would have played the game very differently.

'Nonsense'. Kerry sat a lot of men deep against Mayo both days and there isn't a snowball's chance they'd have opened up wide and shipped the hammering Dublin would have given them for being that naive had they met today. Kerry are one of the most defensive teams in the country right now, up there with Tyrone and Donegal, albeit not as good at it as those teams were at their peaks.

You saw last years semi final between Dublin and Kerry I presume? Of course Kerry are more tactically astute and have a defensive system that isn't simply each man marking hi opponent but to suggest they are like Donegal is patent nonsense. Donegal force you to be negative, if Kerry were playing Dublin or Mayo they would have been far more attacking. You can't do that against Donegal and expect to be successful, bar perhaps blitzing them early. Having 8 or 9 players back in your defence at times isn't hyper defensive football but playing like Donegal is and Kerry were forced to do that today.

Minus 1 Gooch Cooper

Minus 1 Paul Galvin

Minus 1 Tomas O'Se

Plus 1 crocked Declan O'Sullivian

Plus 1 crocked Darran O'Sullivan

...equals one seriously reduced (skills-wise) Kerry team year-on-year.

This year was the success of a system just as much as 2012 was. Kerry became what they supposedly hated and walked away with Sam.

Ah will you stop. If you think Kerry were a southern version of Donegal all year then I don't know what to say to you.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on September 21, 2014, 08:19:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2014, 08:18:15 PM

Close...

Hmmm...maybe I've just a heart of stone...

You must have. It's great to see Declan o sullivan going out a winner too. He deserves that.

cicfada

today Kerry were the southern version of Donegal even if it was for just one day!  They had to do it to win I suppose but what an awful match and puke football wins out! A pity that football loses out as the supposed aristocrats of the game are reduced to blanket defence to win an all Ireland! 1 big mistake ended up being decisive and I felt sorry for Durcan but unfortunately for him they are the margins that decide games like this! well done Kerry I suppose, must be great seeing your team winning another title  allowing for despicable characters like Keane and while I agree with star's sentiments, that was not the time and place to have a dig at Brolly!  Only a fool would write Kerry off  in any year as they delight in showing these experts to be wrong again and again. Then again they are virtually guaranteed entry to the Ai quarter final every year due  to the  weak province they are in and that's not their fault  either to be fair. Thank God for hurling!

Farrandeelin

Seen as my principal is a Kerryman, I'm happy for him the hoor! ;D Plus I cannot suffer JMcG's ways of football.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bannside

Kerry adjusted their tactics to counteract what they expected. For long periods Kieran Donaghy and James O Donoghue were nowhere near their anticipated positions of FF and LCF.

Brolly it has to be said has been a huge proponent of Kerry football up here in the north for many years and extols the beauty of the natural football Kerry play. He may have bit of humble pie to eat tonight but he dosent need to be reminded of who the aristocrats of the game are, as he has been banging on about Kerry football for years now.

Like myself, Joe just thought that Donegal may have had a bit too much for them, but thats sport. He is paid to give his opinion and usually isn't too far off the mark. Today Kerry reminded us that that in Gaelic football they can never be discounted, and  whether it was a classic or a poor final, they too can adjust to circumstances and win "ugly" if that is whats needed.

Well done the Kingdom, on a rare double.

Rudi

Have to admire Kerry, they do what they have to do to win, be it playing the beautiful game or ugly they can do it. Thought Geaney was just about MOM. Lovely textbook block by Kerry back after 59 mins was highlight of game. Brick Molloy should have came in earlier, Donegal were flat on the day and were essentially beat at their own game. Jimmy Mc has done a superb job over the last 4 years and no doubt this team will be back.

highorlow

Congrats to Kerry on their two wins. Donegal got 2 rattles with the goals. The first created a doubt in their counter attack which completely malfunctioned in the 1 st half. Jimmy couldn't understand why they didn't let loose either, he said as much in the rte interview. No overlaps were created and mcloone, a key man, was well marshalled all day.

Early on Murphy got a knock, I'm not sure how but he looked to be limping through the game.

Man of the match was the Kerry Murphy. He was outstanding.

Overall I don't think it was as bad a year as one or two posters made out and if anything the "potential pack" for getting an AI win is widening, this can only be a good thing.

James horan was correct in his Saturday article in saying Donegal should win it but Kerry probably will win it.

I'd imagine he is saying fookit a lot more this evening than lookit!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rudi

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 21, 2014, 08:39:15 PM
Seen as my principal is a Kerryman, I'm happy for him the hoor! ;D Plus I cannot suffer JMcG's ways of football.

In fairness to McG in 2012 they played a great brand of football, also against Dublin this year. I suppose Mayo would have beat the shite out of them today if the ref didn't rob youse in Limerick.  :'( ::)

clarshack

Donaghy is a horrible git. Kerry always bad losers but even worse winners!

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on September 21, 2014, 08:22:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2014, 08:06:55 PM

Minus 1 Gooch Cooper

Minus 1 Paul Galvin

Minus 1 Tomas O'Se

Plus 1 crocked Declan O'Sullivian

Plus 1 crocked Darran O'Sullivan

...equals one seriously reduced (skills-wise) Kerry team year-on-year.

This year was the success of a system just as much as 2012 was. Kerry became what they supposedly hated and walked away with Sam.

Ah will you stop. If you think Kerry were a southern version of Donegal all year then I don't know what to say to you.

They were evolving into it all year. If you think otherwise have a look at James Horan's article in the Indo today - he knows all this more intimately than almost any outsider.

The Kerry folks at the match were still quite confused watching their backs and midfielders sit back when they have the ball. Fitzmaurice has remade this team in the image of what scuttled them so many times in the past.