All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 21, 2014, 07:52:43 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 21, 2014, 01:35:49 AM
Brendan Devenney was on RTE radio today. He said that Kerry will have to go out and keep it tight from the start to save Donegsl from pulling away early in and building up a lead cos if Donegal get a few points us, Kerry will struggle. Which is all fair and well but part of me sees Donegal as underestimating the Kerry challenge. After beating Dublin, Donegal are entitled to be favourites and could choke Kerry. But Kerry will be well prepared. I'm hoping for a good final and don't mind who wins. Kerry with a load of wins won't mind Donegal winning this one.

With the level of preparation that goes into this Donegal set up, I just can't see them going into this game with any sort of complacency. They will be as prepared for Kerry as they were for Dublin and I just can't see how Kerry can win this game. They have been mightily impressive in how they have improved this year but their main strengths are strengths which Donegal can cope with. Jim will never allow the midfield dominance they experienced against Mayo and the role Donaghy plays is meat and drink to that Donegal defence. The only danger I see is O'Donoghue who I believe is as good as we've seen in years but like any player he can't do a huge lot which smothered up and starved of possession. If he's held to 2 or 3 from play then it's job done. Other than that the match ups favour Donegal and I can see Murphy spending a bit more time at full forward than the last day - if he does I just don't see how Kerry stop him, especially if they leave O'Mahoney back there, who is 3 or 4 years past his best. I hope it's a great game and Kerry have shown impressive fighting qualities this year but it's Donegal by 5 or more for me.

By the way, whoever said Mayo have the best midfield in the country, man for man, would need to go and lie down.

It was a Rossie.

Mayo's midfield was excellent a year ago but lost their way somewhat this year. Particularly against Kerry.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2014, 09:19:43 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 21, 2014, 07:52:43 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 21, 2014, 01:35:49 AM
Brendan Devenney was on RTE radio today. He said that Kerry will have to go out and keep it tight from the start to save Donegsl from pulling away early in and building up a lead cos if Donegal get a few points us, Kerry will struggle. Which is all fair and well but part of me sees Donegal as underestimating the Kerry challenge. After beating Dublin, Donegal are entitled to be favourites and could choke Kerry. But Kerry will be well prepared. I'm hoping for a good final and don't mind who wins. Kerry with a load of wins won't mind Donegal winning this one.

With the level of preparation that goes into this Donegal set up, I just can't see them going into this game with any sort of complacency. They will be as prepared for Kerry as they were for Dublin and I just can't see how Kerry can win this game. They have been mightily impressive in how they have improved this year but their main strengths are strengths which Donegal can cope with. Jim will never allow the midfield dominance they experienced against Mayo and the role Donaghy plays is meat and drink to that Donegal defence. The only danger I see is O'Donoghue who I believe is as good as we've seen in years but like any player he can't do a huge lot which smothered up and starved of possession. If he's held to 2 or 3 from play then it's job done. Other than that the match ups favour Donegal and I can see Murphy spending a bit more time at full forward than the last day - if he does I just don't see how Kerry stop him, especially if they leave O'Mahoney back there, who is 3 or 4 years past his best. I hope it's a great game and Kerry have shown impressive fighting qualities this year but it's Donegal by 5 or more for me.

By the way, whoever said Mayo have the best midfield in the country, man for man, would need to go and lie down.

It was a Rossie.

Mayo's midfield was excellent a year ago but lost their way somewhat this year. Particularly against Kerry.

In two games where David Moran played at a level he never had before. Any team that has Tom Parsons as the fifth choice midfielder has incredible depth at the position. Other teams have one AI-class midfielder and a decent partner at the very best. Mayo have much more than that and it was the biggest scandal of the Kerry games that they were beaten so comprehensively at the
position by a single player.

Very interested to see if Moran can scale those heights again, he wasn't even considered a starter until Bryan Sheehan injured himself against Galway in the AIQF.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2014, 09:56:50 AM
In two games where David Moran played at a level he never had before. Any team that has Tom Parsons as the fifth choice midfielder has incredible depth at the position. Other teams have one AI-class midfielder and a decent partner at the very best. Mayo have much more than that and it was the biggest scandal of the Kerry games that they were beaten so comprehensively at the
position by a single player.

Very interested to see if Moran can scale those heights again, he wasn't even considered a starter until Bryan Sheehan injured himself against Galway in the AIQF.

So Moran's performance was some sort of fluke? Only through a miracle can Mayo possible be beaten at midfield?

Cop yourself on. MacAuley completely outplayed Aidan O'Shea in last years final.

ONeill

There's talk that Declan Bogue has already chained himself to a front row seat at the press room.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

I'm taking the 8/1 for the draw, Croke needs the money after the Garth Brooks debacle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Just 18 pages? had it been Mayo v Tyrone we be around 150 by now lol. On another note is this game on BBC2 i dont see it on the listing, its be a bad show a ulster team in the final and not on northern TV

Jell 0 Biafra

Been wrong with all my predictions this year.  Going for Kerry for this one so.

rossiewanderer

Hard to call. I have a slight fancy for Donegal but i couldnt bring myself to back them due to my fear of the Kerry bench.Im hoping for the ref to let the game and the hits flow.

Aaron Boone

On paper, Donegal best team for me. I think they very confident though and Kerry could easily exploit that. So Kerry to win their first since 2009.

seafoid

Donegal are capable of humiliating Kerry. If they do it will take a heart of stone not to laugh.

maigheo

screenexile

Jaysus Martin Carney and that finger!!!

Kerry by 2 in a horrible game of football!

From the Bunker

Why is Martin Carney co-commentator?  Is there not a neutral competent co commentator? :-\

Party Political Broadcast by Spillane at the moment. Looks like he is going to burst! :P

macdanger2