Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: paddypastit on September 12, 2010, 02:38:17 PM
and that's coming from a Meathman?!

We always tell it like it is.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jinxy on September 12, 2010, 01:29:26 PM
Remember the pass from Clarke into Fitzpatrick in the 2nd half against Kildare?
A good pass that the midfielder took in his stride and blazed over the bar.
Now I read a couple of articles on the Monday where journalists hailed this as an unbelievable piece of vision (Tom Humphries was one).
A 20 yard pace to a man in acres of space in front of goal does not take vision.
It just takes common sense and in fact there was a far better cross-field pass with the outside of the boot for a Kildare point in the first half but little or no mention of the player involved.
This is a perfect example of the hype that surrounds Clarke.
And if he were to win POTY on the back of this Kennelly-esque media worship then Bernard Brogan will have been robbed, plain and simple.

Couldn't agree more.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

LilySavage

Hope Doyle gets one, hes been labouring on his own for Kildare for 10 years . Was more accurate about 5 years ago but always a great player. Would be unfair if he finishes his career without one.

yellowcard

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 13, 2010, 09:01:23 AM
Now I read a couple of articles on the Monday where journalists hailed this as an unbelievable piece of vision (Tom Humphries was one).
A 20 yard pace to a man in acres of space in front of goal does not take vision.
It just takes common sense and in fact there was a far better cross-field pass with the outside of the boot for a Kildare point in the first half but little or no mention of the player involved.
And if he were to win POTY on the back of this Kennelly-esque media worship then Bernard Brogan will have been robbed, plain and simple.

Couldn't agree more.

Clarke is undoubtedly a very talented player who has got better as the year has gone on. A much more talented player than Kennelly in my opinion and certainly a more humble individual. Clarke has not courted the media in any shape or form since his return. In actual fact he seems to have done very little in the way of interviews and refused to accept the MOTM award from RTE after the semi-final since he thought he didn't deserve it. So to compare him to Kennelly is blatantly unfair.

However I do agree that Brogan is undoubtedly the POTY and he WILL get the award.

Jinxy

Quote from: yellowcard on September 13, 2010, 12:17:59 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Clarke is undoubtedly a very talented player who has got better as the year has gone on. A much more talented player than Kennelly in my opinion and certainly a more humble individual. Clarke has not courted the media in any shape or form since his return. In actual fact he seems to have done very little in the way of interviews and refused to accept the MOTM award from RTE after the semi-final since he thought he didn't deserve it. So to compare him to Kennelly is blatantly unfair.

However I do agree that Brogan is undoubtedly the POTY and he WILL get the award.

He didn't deserve it.
Danny Hughes did.
This is my point in a nutshell.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2010, 12:37:33 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 13, 2010, 12:17:59 PM

Couldn't agree more.

He didn't deserve it.
Danny Hughes did.
This is my point in a nutshell.

Can't argue with that  and you may be right that the media are OTT in their praise of Clarke but it is still way more justified than the Kennelly hype. Clarke will be the most talented player on the field on Sunday and he is only 22. After that the hype will begin about whether he is Oz bound again, and I expect that he will.

Main Street

Clarke has been a revelation to those of us who were not aware of his talents, it does not do him justice to strip pieces of his play out of the context of a high pressure game and try to make them appear ordinary.

ATM my poty would be Bernard Brogan, it is rare that you can use all the superlatives to describe a player with and still not have enough.

Maiden1

That's the thing with Clarke he very rarely tries to do anything spectacular with the ball.  He won't try to kick the ball 60 yards over 2 players heads with a bit of backspin on the ball to stop it going over the sideline.  He just looks up and sees who is moving and in front of there man and passes the ball to them accurately and then looks for the return.  For the pass to Fitzpatrick he was 35 yards out and in space, he probably had a 75% chance of kicking it over himself but he saw Fitzpatrick running towards the 14 yard line in front of his man and passed it to him for an almost certain score.  You could say surely every 1/2 decent club player would have done the same?  Try watching the last 15 minutes of the Dublin Cork match again, Bernard Brogan gets the ball about 35 yards out in the same position and O'Gara (I think) loses his man and all it needed was a simple fist pass or dink over the top and he was clean through, almost guaranteed a score with a possibility of a goal, instead he goes for a shot of his left foot.  Small things like that are the difference between winning and losing tight matches.  Also well into injury time in the Cork game and he sticks the ball over the bar and the ref then blew his full time whistle, surely a junior club player would ask the ref how long was left before taking a kick like that instead of worrying that Johnny Doyle might catch him in the race to be top point scorer.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Jinxy

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 13, 2010, 01:34:28 PM

That's the thing with Clarke he very rarely tries to do anything spectacular with the ball.  He won't try to kick the ball 60 yards over 2 players heads with a bit of backspin on the ball to stop it going over the sideline.  He just looks up and sees who is moving and in front of there man and passes the ball to them accurately and then looks for the return.  For the pass to Fitzpatrick he was 35 yards out and in space, he probably had a 75% chance of kicking it over himself but he saw Fitzpatrick running towards the 14 yard line in front of his man and passed it to him for an almost certain score.  You could say surely every 1/2 decent club player would have done the same?  Try watching the last 15 minutes of the Dublin Cork match again, Bernard Brogan gets the ball about 35 yards out in the same position and O'Gara (I think) loses his man and all it needed was a simple fist pass or dink over the top and he was clean through, almost guaranteed a score with a possibility of a goal, instead he goes for a shot of his left foot.  Small things like that are the difference between winning and losing tight matches.  Also well into injury time in the Cork game and he sticks the ball over the bar and the ref then blew his full time whistle, surely a junior club player would ask the ref how long was left before taking a kick like that instead of worrying that Johnny Doyle might catch him in the race to be top point scorer.

Brogan doesn't have the luxury of having other forwards on his team that can actually score.

Qwerty28

Clarke was superb in the semi final and to a lesser extent the quarter but almost marker absent against Tyrone in ulster semi....Brogan deserves POTY in my opinion, has carried Dublin scoring threat all on his own, only game he didnt score a hatful was aginst Louth I think.

Jinxy

And us.
But hey, he's only human.

passedit

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2010, 11:51:21 PM
And us.

So who actually did he play well against? remember that he shit in the nest last 15 agin Cork as well.
Don't Panic

Jinxy

Quote from: passedit on September 14, 2010, 12:18:33 PM
And us.

So who actually did he play well against? remember that he shit in the nest last 15 agin Cork as well.

No he didn't.
He destroyed several different markers in the Armagh, Tyrone & Cork games.
It's laughable that anyone would even suggest Clarke deserves POTY ahead of him.

passedit

Quote from: Jinxy on September 14, 2010, 12:23:15 PM
Quote from: passedit on September 14, 2010, 12:18:33 PM
And us.

No he didn't.
He destroyed several different markers in the Armagh, Tyrone & Cork games.
It's laughable that anyone would even suggest Clarke deserves POTY ahead of him.

I suggest you watch the last 15 mins of that game again. Two horrible wides and two schoolboy wrong options cost Dublin the game. For the record I think Clarke needs a big game in the final to swing it as he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the last few minutes against Kildare either but to give player of the year to someone who not only didn't make the final but actually cost his team their place there is 'laughable'.
Don't Panic

Jinxy

Brogan cost Dublin a place in the final?  :D