Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnish oggie

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 19, 2023, 12:06:33 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 18, 2023, 11:23:07 PM
Quote from: GJL on July 18, 2023, 04:42:49 PM
Onana deal signed and sealed. Eyes now on Hojlund.

What's this gk  like? I  never seen him play

Didn't catch the champions league final against city then?
Or the champions league classic against Spurs in the 2019 semi final. Ajax would have cruised into the final if Onana hadn't decided to make a game of it by going for a ball his defender was about to clear, colliding with the defender, failing to claim the ball gifting Spurs a goal and a route back into the game.

Then there is his 9 month doping suspension. An accident according to him

He also played against us in the 2017 EL final.

The doping incident he was cleared of any intentional wrongdoing.

What he took wasn't a doping product, it was one that is used to mask the detection of a PED.

I am pretty sure when tested for any PEDs he was clear, but he got the ban on a technicality because the masking agent isn't allowed to be taken.

He will cause a good few scary moments, time to invest in the Rennies now!

But it looks like he will transform our playing method from the De Gea days.

Yes, he might not make the eye catching point blank saves, but he isn't afraid to come and claim crosses and can pass to a team mate.

I trust in ETH and his assessment of him and if h thinks he is good enoug that is enough for me.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: barnish oggie on July 20, 2023, 09:06:17 AM

Or the champions league classic against Spurs in the 2019 semi final. Ajax would have cruised into the final if Onana hadn't decided to make a game of it by going for a ball his defender was about to clear, colliding with the defender, failing to claim the ball gifting Spurs a goal and a route back into the game.

What he took wasn't a doping product, it was one that is used to mask the detection of a PED.

I am pretty sure when tested for any PEDs he was clear, but he got the ban on a technicality because the masking agent isn't allowed to be taken.

Yes, he might not make the eye catching point blank saves, but he isn't afraid to come and claim crosses and can pass to a team mate.

I trust in ETH and his assessment of him and if h thinks he is good enoug that is enough for me.

Fabian Bartez part 2! I hope they kept a lock of De Gea's hair to clone a hybrid of him & Onana lol

clonian

Dave wasn't making the simple saves either though, he had turned into a 'stopper of great shots' as opposed to a great shot stopper. His expected saves were in the bottom 6 keepers in the league last year. He comes for less crosses than a U12 keeper too. He was great at a point but he never should of got the last contract. There wasn't any more teams looking him then than there is now if we're honest.

There'll be a bedding in period for Onana and a few mistakes no doubt but it'll improve the team in the long run.

barnish oggie

Quote from: clonian on July 20, 2023, 02:01:01 PM

Dave wasn't making the simple saves either though, he had turned into a 'stopper of great shots' as opposed to a great shot stopper. His expected saves were in the bottom 6 keepers in the league last year. He comes for less crosses than a U12 keeper too. He was great at a point but he never should of got the last contract. There wasn't any more teams looking him then than there is now if we're honest.

There'll be a bedding in period for Onana and a few mistakes no doubt but it'll improve the team in the long run.

Yeah that is what I meant De Gea only seemed to make great saves, the simple ones not so much.......and he was always pinned to his goal line, terrified he would get hit.

He was a great servant but since the WC in 2018 he has been in a steady decline, which has accelerated in the last 18 months.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 20, 2023, 10:51:15 AM

Fabian Bartez part 2! I hope they kept a lock of De Gea's hair to clone a hybrid of him & Onana lol

If you're going to clone  two   keepers , surely it would  be Schmeichel and van der sar

AustinPowers

Quote from: barnish oggie on July 20, 2023, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: clonian on July 20, 2023, 02:01:01 PM

Yeah that is what I meant De Gea only seemed to make great saves, the simple ones not so much.......and he was always pinned to his goal line, terrified he would get hit.

He was a great servant but since the WC in 2018 he has been in a steady decline, which has accelerated in the last 18 months.

I don't think  de gea was ever good enough. I gave him  some leeway first 2 or 3 seasons , but  his game  never developed at all.  As you both say,  he was always pinned to his goal line , never came for crosses.  His  catching was awful , and his throwing ability to get  United countering quickly  was non existent .  When strikers  bore down on his goal , he actually made himself smaller instead of bigger/spreading himself. I think that does  boil down again, to  that fear  of getting hurt.

He was never aggressive  enough either .  You need to make yourself look big especially when facing penalties.  Jump around , scream and shout , psyche out your opponent. He never did that. A definite weak line  this last decade or so and  opponents  knew that.

Never seen onana play afaik,  but let's hope he's a  big improvement.

bennydorano

How can Fernandes be considered Captain material? A bigger whinging **** I've yet to see, few people annoy me in life generally but he's such a bellend, a Yap, a diver,  he seems to criticise team mates on the pitch from what I can see. Just seems a horrible person to me. In a team of good footballers I don't see him as a real leader tbh.

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on July 21, 2023, 10:59:54 AM
How can Fernandes be considered Captain material? A bigger whinging **** I've yet to see, few people annoy me in life generally but he's such a bellend, a Yap, a diver,  he seems to criticise team mates on the pitch from what I can see. Just seems a horrible person to me. In a team of good footballers I don't see him as a eal leader tbh.

Appreciate your input Harry.

clonian

Quote from: bennydorano on July 21, 2023, 10:59:54 AM
How can Fernandes be considered Captain material? A bigger whinging **** I've yet to see, few people annoy me in life generally but he's such a bellend, a Yap, a diver,  he seems to criticise team mates on the pitch from what I can see. Just seems a horrible person to me. In a team of good footballers I don't see him as a eal leader tbh.

I honestly don't care about who's the captain any more, probably because of the latest ones were all shite to be fair. For the first time in a while we have a few genuine leaders in the team that don't need the arm band to do their job.

The keeper picking 24 to play in when 1 was free has annoyed me more to be honest. Don't understand why lads want stupid numbers especially keepers.

gallsman

Quote from: clonian on July 21, 2023, 12:12:54 PM

I honestly don't care about who's the captain any more, probably because of the latest ones were all shite to be fair. For the first time in a while we have a few genuine leaders in the team that don't need the arm band to do their job.

The keeper picking 24 to play in when 1 was free has annoyed me more to be honest. Don't understand why lads want stupid numbers especially keepers.

Actually? Like genuinely seriously?

clonian

Quote from: gallsman on July 21, 2023, 01:16:50 PM
Quote from: clonian on July 21, 2023, 12:12:54 PM

Actually? Like genuinely seriously?

More than Bruno getting the armband yes. Not going to lose sleep over either decision though.

Dar31

Hojlund confirmed its big money for potential but hopefully its money well spent ten hag wanted him so at least they backed him and he should get plenty of chances to score with  fernandes mount etc assisting

GJL

When is the last time Utd set targets and got them signed early enough to prepare well for the season. Things are changing for the better.

AustinPowers

He's hardly  a prolific scorer . 10 goal last season.  Only 20 years old , and  coming to a new league.  A big gamble   this.

£72 million. How much  more would Kane have cost?

jcpen

Quote from: GJL on July 29, 2023, 10:33:32 PM
When is the last time Utd set targets and got them signed early enough to prepare well for the season. Things are changing for the better.
Are they really changing though? Huge sum of money on a unproven young lad, Martial and Sancho springs to mind of similar transfers and they haven't really worked out at all.

Would Evan Ferguson not have been worth a shot and probably would have been got for far less and has probably as much potential as this Hojlund fella.
NEUTRAL